Embarrassed to Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunafish

Aug 25, 2012
pacific ocean
Are you embarrassed vaping in public places?
What experiences have you had?

I tend not to vape around the public cause they look at me like im smokin a (mommy & daddy edit)or doing something forbidden. Sitting on an airplane puffing away draws a lot of attention. Or in the checkout line at a store, people always look like "what the ....?!". Or at work if your a cashier just tootin away while ringin people up :)

Closet vaper, sneak off into the bathroom and smoke it out. Or quick little puffs outta your shirt pocket and holding the smoke in for less vapor on the exhale.

Just wondering how my fellow vapers get down. Please respond and share your story and give me the courage to blow a huge vape cloud right in the middle of a business meeting.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
It wasn't until a couple of months went by I felt comfortable vaping in public. I use to use my KGO when I first stated. Now I use my Provari with a tank.
I also want to add, when I use to smoke I didn't go anywhere without a pack a cigarettes. I was very dependent on them. Now, after vaping for a while, I can go 4-5 hours easily with out a vape and with out any kind of withdrawals.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
I just got used to smoking bans everywhere, I just don't feel the need to vape at stores, restaurants (even though we still have a few smoking sectioned restaurants) or really anywhere that does not allow smoking, which is pretty much everywhere. I vape inside my home, my car, at my parents house and at work. I work at a car dealership and we can vape in the shops but not in the showroom.

dandellion

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2012
Belgrade
www.acidzen.org
I tend to vape only where smoking is allowed. For a while I felt weird with PV in public (especially as none of mine is looking nowhere near stinky cig) but it's a matter of habit. Just push yourself a couple of times into it and you start to feel normal. Now I only have a problem of people asking me about it and while sometimes I am happy to talk about it, it's a topic I went over and over so it might easily bore me.

BTW, if you hide it (puffing from the pocket or sleeve) you'll probably raise more suspicion than behaving "normally".

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
First of all, be careful with those references to illegal substances in your posts. The moderators don't like it.

Second, in the U.S. vaping is illegal on an airplane and will subject you to the same potential penalties as any other infraction of airline rules. You can be fined, arrested and/or kicked off the plane.

For many years as a smoker, I managed to survive with not smoking in restaurants, grocery stores, airplanes, etc. Why should I now have to vape in those places? (I do, however, stealth vape in the airport before a flight.)

But when I'm in a public place where I do vape, I do it openly. I'm not breaking any rules or doing anything illegal, so why should I be embarrassed?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
View attachment 129440

The above big battery mods are my current devices, and I can be seen vaping either of them in public. They can't be mistaken as a regular cigarette. I tend to use carto tanks with fun, colorful glass drip tips.

I rarely get any looks at all when I vape in public. I've openly vaped at professional sporting events, outdoor concerts and festivals, even an occassional toot in the grocery or department store. I don't vape while in line for the cash register out of respect to other people. I've stealth vaped in the rear of the cinema.

At work is a different story. I work at a hospital where "tobacco products" are prohibited and use can result in termination. I do keep my gear in my locker, which conveniently is in the far back portion of the room and hidden from view by a line of other lockers. I will go back there for a few toots during my breaks, fully aware of who else is in the room. Some of my co-workers are fully aware that I vape and totally support my vaping to quit cigarettes, and I am comfortable to vape in their presence. There are other employees that I don't necessarily trust, and I abstain if they are in the room.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
While I normally don't vape where I couldn't smoke, I don't hide it either. If I could walk around and smoke where people could see me, knowing what the risks where, why wouldn't I walk around vaping where others could see me.

And as a side note, more and more people are recognizing e-cigs, even when they don't look like a cig. I was at sonic the other night, and the young man who was bringing my order out seen my BB on my lap. He asked me if it was one of them fancy e-cigs. LOL Even living in a small town they are starting to know.

MrPicC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2012
Lone Star State
I was at first embarrassed about vaping in public till a few months ago I seen some dude vaping on a LEO in one of my supermarkets. I still did it though I hid it more so, but From that point on I didn't care and now I walk around my store with a big tank on a Vmax and go to town.. The looks will never end and people that don't smoke at all will pretend it smells bad by holding their noses.. HAHA they are just programmed at this point.. YOu can't smoke anywhere in NYC so vaping EVERYWHERE makes me happy..

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
We should only vape with smokers or hide in dark corners and bathrooms so no one sees us from what I am reading. Lets make sure we leave the clear perception that vaping is dangerours, the same as smoking and to be kept far away from other people. And lets don't be bothered with educating others about vaping. Those working hard to have vaping banned like ASH could not agree more and are happy to know that some vapers agree that vaping should not be out in the open.

Vaping openly but respectfully almost everywhere is the position many of us believe is the best path. And being well educated on the science of vaping and be willing to educate the uninformed. Perception is reality. If vapers only vape with smokers or sneak vape, the perception is that it is just as dangerours as smoking and needs to be shunned.

zuzette

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2012
Colorado
"respectful" is the key word. spraying big clouds of perfume is probably "legal" in most places, including supermarkets.
but the surest way to make sure something gets banned is to be disrespectful of others with the behavior.

I do get it - vape is not smoke and really does not need to be treated as such. but ANY behavior that is distracting to others is pretty much a no go as far as I am concerned. I would be rather annoyed if my supermarket cashier was vaping as they rang up my purchases...what are they paying attention to? My order or their need to vape? Vaping in a business meeting might be fine if the others agree, but if not, trying to get your way is just bad manners and even poorer business sense.

I was on the bus the other day when a woman on the bus started spraying her hair with hair spray. The driver told her it was not allowed and to stop. she tried to argue that it was "legal" and not harmful because she was using a pump sprayer....the driver told her he would kick her off the bus.

common sense....thats all thats needed. One does not have to hide with the smokers on cold corners...but "in your face" does not give vaping the clean, and safe image we would all like for others to have of vaping.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
Its never crossed my mind to be embarrassed to vape in public. I do attempt to use common sense as to where I openly chain vape OR quietly vape or choose to stealth vape. Vaping anywhere that has a no vaping policy means stealth vaping only to me. I dont chain vape or blow huge plumes of vapor anywhere inside unless I know for certain it is aproved and ok but that doesnt mean I wont quietly vape every once in a while. I was recently at an amusement park with a no smoking policy except for in designated areas. I had no problem vaping throughout the day where ever I wished. I have always taken an occasional vape when in most stores or malls just choosing not to chain vape or blow huge vapor all over the place.

Vaping in public exposes a whole lot of people to see what vaping really is that otherwise know nothing about vaping except the negative false information being spread by FDA and other irrational anti smoking zealots. If we dont help them learn the positive side of vaping how can we ever expect them to learn the truth ?

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Nope, I'm not embarrassed at all. :)

I vape all the time in public...however, I do tend to follow the unwritten rules for the most part. I don't openly vape in places where smoking isn't allowed unless I have gotten permission to do so first. But that is purely an image thing. I know there are a lot of folks who just don't understand and me acting like I'm smoking (in their eyes) doesn't help. One snarky dude up here went into a Shari's restaurant and vaped away with blatant disregard without asking. He was so rude when the manager approached him, Shari's restaurants have now banned vaping. So I ask first in restaurants, bars, meetings, doctor appointments, etc. When we bought our cars a few months ago, we asked the guys at the dealership and they were happy to let us vape indoors...and since most of them were smokers, they were very interested. When they went out for smokes, I went with them, so they didn't think we were "holier than thou."

But everywhere else? You bet your bum I'm vaping all the time. I want folks to see it and get used to seeing it. I keep it casual and natural, same as anyone checking email on their cell phones or fiddling with their car keys. I never approach anyone about it, but occasionally, folks will approach me and ask about it. I've only been sneered at once or twice in the last 2 1/2 years. I don't let it bother me....there are plenty of things that I sneer at on a daily basis. I used to get more dirty looks from folks back in the days when I wore torn jeans, combat boots, and other regalia that marked me as a "grunge chic." :laugh:

s14sher

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2011
Oklahoma
I won't vape any place I couldn't smoke. Personal choice. I have vaped in my doctor's office during a visit because she was interested and wanted to see it work. She ended up taking lots of notes :D

I was a little uneasy about vaping in public at first. People would see the blue LED on the end of my "cigarette" and would look at me funny. I got used to it. Now, I carry an eGO 18650 mod with a mini vivi nova on top and vape my little heart out. I actually like it when people ask me about it.

daniele25

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
phoenix
Like others have said....I don't vape anywhere I couldn't smoke. I was fine having to go outside for years, or waiting until i was off an airplane when I smoked, so I can do it now that I vape. I travel for work about every 2 weeks, and I have seen people vaping on planes, and the flight attendants did not say a peep, but I personally have no interest in causing that kind of commotion on an airplane if god forbid someone was to think they saw smoke and flip out.

When I am in public, I still use the more traditional cigarette styled ecigs, like my regular 510s or 808s. I'm sure whipping out my giant 1100mah eGo Twist or Pink & white zebra box mod would draw more attention than even the regular ecigs do...so I just leave those at home. The cigarette styled ecigs are obviously much easier to carry around in my purse too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread