Energy Vap 20A 3000mAh 18650 Bench Retest Results... only a 2500mAh battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18350, 18650, 26650, etc.

While the test results are hard data, the conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion based on my criteria for setting a rating. Carefully research any cell you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing cells at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them.

If the cell has only one current rating number on it, or if it says "max" then I have to assume that the company is stating that the cell can be discharged at that current level in any way, including continuously.

IMG_4881.JPG IMG_4882.JPG IMG_4883.JPG IMG_4884.JPG

Bottom Line
    I regrettably gave this company the benefit of the doubt when they said they had adjusted their ratings but it's clear now that Energy Vap insists on remaining one of the many companies that grossly exaggerates the ratings of their batteries.

When first released, this cell was rated 35A and 3000mAh. This was clearly ridiculous. Their web site still shows it as a 35A/3000mAh battery:

IMG_4902.jpg

They informed me that they were redoing the packaging and asked me to retest the cell. Their Facebook page has photos of the new "20A/35A" packaging, though with a useless 35A pulse rating.

I agreed and then found out, via the new testing and an earlier mistake of mine, that these are not 3000mAh cells. They are only 20A/2500mAh cells, the same ones I tested earlier that they rated at 35A/3000mAh. They appear to be rewrapped Samsung 25R6M's (latest generation 25R but made in Malaysia), a poorer performer than the 25R5 in my testing (to be posted soon).

Here's more info about my previous testing error:

Facebook:
    Mooch

ECR Subreddit:
    An apology from Mooch about Energy Vap battery testing • r/electronic_cigarette

I am rating this Energy Vap cell at 20A and 2500mAh. The 18650 ratings table has been updated to include this cell.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    IMG_4889.PNG

Comparison to the Samsung 3000mAh 30Q and 2500mAh 25R6M
    IMG_4890.PNG IMG_4894.PNG

Pulse-Current Test Results
    No pulse tests were done as this seems to be a rewrapped Samsung 25R6M.

Always Remember
    - There is no 18650 that can have a factory/manufacturer rating over 30A.

- There is no 3000mAh 18650 that can have a rating over 20A.

- There is no 3100mAh-3600mAh 18650 that can have a rating over 10A.

- There is no 18650 with a capacity rating over 3600mAh.

Comments
    - At 10A continuous this cell delivered a bit more than 2350mAh. This terrible performance for a 3000mAh cell but is about average for a 2500mAh cell so I am rating it at 2500mAh.

- Its performance was typical for an average 20A cell and perfectly matched the Samsung 25R6M.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...afety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7566/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...des-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...fety-grades-and-pulse-performance-data.7554//

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread