epoxy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
So ive recently started making my own unregulated mosfet style box mods, i just placed a large order so i can make a few more and i want them to be perfect.

I had a lot of hiccups along the way making my first one but have gotten much better at soldering ect... the only thing i haven't figured out yet is the epoxy, i bought Loctite 2 part epoxy, it said on the label it was fine for electronics but even after letting it sit all day it turns back into a liquid about an hour after using it, im guessing the problem is the current running through the box, so i tried a few other adhesives, one was just some Gorilla Glue brand metal adhesive that i already had and i had the same problem.

Ive since cleaned everything up and just placed everything in a way that is really tight so it doesn't move around. So, does anyone know what epoxy will hold up, i have the box set up to handle anything down to around .08 but it doesn't matter if the epoxy is going to melt and ruin it.

i have two other minor problems, first i have a fat daddy v4 low profile, i tinned my wire and it fit perfectly in the positive pin hole but i couldn't get it soldered right so i ended up having to solder the bottom pin and bottom base together, now whenever i tighten down a topper it pushes the pin down along with the other piece and just stays in that position so i have to manually push it back upward, ill post a picture because this is confusing sorry. i think that if next time i solder it only to the positive center pin it will work correctly, is that right?

Lastly, my wires going into my fire switch are just tinned and tightened down with the screw, i like having them this way because if i have any problems with my volt meter or anything else i can just unscrew them and pull them out, the problem is they back out pretty quickly so i have to constantly tighten them down, is there a way to keep them tight without solder and so that they can be removed if necessary?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
664e7b5f715af8d5f95245029644d3dc.jpg

d9b362d22617a87e285392927221e609.jpg

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
I'll start with the 510 pin. Your going to have to remove that solder and start again. Since the pin is soldered inside, you'll likely have to unscrew it from the white delrin insert, and heat the whole pin assembly while pulling the pin out. You're going to lose the small red oring but it's the only way really.

I have a couple concerns with the rest though. If there's enough heat/current on your epoxy to damage it, there is something seriously wrong with your mod. That type of environment is in no way safe for a case with batteries in it. I use loctite and gorilla epoxys exclusively and have never once had either melt on me. Is there a chance you are mixing it improperly?

Last concern is the mismatched batteries in your mod. Be careful not to mix batteries with different capacities in your mods. It can cause current to jump from 1 battery to the other with ridiculously low resistance causing serious damage.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
08b199fc8fc7f7f14eeeca7d5b05094f.jpg

That is the epoxy i used. Maybe i needed to let it set longer. As for the 510, im pretty sure i understand what i did wrong. When i go to solder it i can stick the pre-tinned wire in this hole and solder only to the pin that is spring loaded and moves and avoid soldering to the outside nut like i did above, correct? Luckily i bought a hand full of them.
75a8f05c8eb97c83ab9d52131c498c50.jpg

The Mosfet is an international rectifier 40v 1.7mohm, IRLB3034PBF

thanks for info and help i really appriciate you, everyone here is always so eager to help, it really is refreshing.
I really love to be able to do everything myself i even make my own soap, shampoo, ext i really want to perfect this skill and do some innovative work.

david4500

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
If you bought your mosfet from Ebay, please buy it from Mouser or Digikey instead. One purchased from Ebay has the possibility of being a Chinese counterfeit.

Your epoxy has a set time of 5 minutes, but should take a full 24 hours to fully cure. Make sure it is mixed well in equal parts as well.

You're correct in thinking how the 510 should be soldered.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
Also the batteries, i normally do use married batteries i just happened to forget them at home today. I've been using this specific mod most of the time for about a week while my my VF is in recovery lol and even though it's haggard it is performing better than my mechs. I've been switching my batteries out 3 times a day and forgot my normal "married" batteries at home, i wasn't too sure how important was but is good to know not to do. Earlier today my voltage was jumping around a bit without firing it which probably was caused by the batteries.

chefjoosie

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
Cincinnati, OH, USA
Glad you got some extra pins. I've accidentally soldered them together before myself, and it is irritating to get them apart.
The way I do them now to make it easy is, I dip the tinned wire end in flux>stick it in the pin hole>hold them in place with helping hands> then press soldering iron on the wire and pin while hitting the top of the pin with just a tad of solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread