Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Just wondering why I keep getting this in the mornings, not every morning, but a couple of times a week.

upload_2017-4-13_12-50-36.png

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I originally posted this reply here: Snails - Response on Threads Part 8

There's a lot of things that could be going on, none of which we have any control over.

Cloudflare operates over 100 data centers worldwide which provide content distribution and DDoS protection for sites. It might not even be a Cloudflare issue, but something occurring on the backbone between the data center you're connecting to and the ECF servers. Generally, if I see there's an issue, I switch VPN connection points to force a connection to a different data center to see if I can get in. If I can, then it's not going to be an issue that we can really address as the issue is out of our realm of control.

Technically, you aren't even hitting the ECF servers when you're browsing the forums. Cloudflare is serving up the content for you. If the issue continues to be a regular occurrence, we can certainly address it with Cloudflare and see what's going on.

Reactions: Burnie

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
No, you can't. If the site that does the checking is also going through the same Cloudflare data center you are using, it's not going to provide a true result.

This morning I was using a California access point and started to see issues. I immediately switched to a different VPN connection in another country and was able to access ECF immediately.

This indicates that it's not an ECF issue.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
When I experienced the issue one site reported ECF as down but another showed it as up. Before I even bothered to diagnose the issue further I was able to access ECF so no reason to look any further into the issue. Still this has been happening in the mornings intermittently lately. So maybe checking with Cloud Flair might be prudent.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Well in the last week, 3 times, I have not been able to get on in the morning around 6:30am (latest this morning). All have given the error above, which I guess is Cloudflare in Miami which is having the problem. Don't know what needs done, but something does, because it sucks not being able to get on for my morning Fix of ECF :facepalm:

Reactions: DaveP

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
With the recent crapola coming out of Congress, I've taken to using a VPN full time. Most of the better companies have hundreds of connections to chose from, many being in foreign countries. So when the connection starts acting up here on ECF, I just switch VPN servers.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    No issues experienced here with logging in since I last posted although have had some issues with email notifications just stopping after a while. I go to the thread and see messages that I never got an email for. Sometimes they are listed in the upper right hand corner.
    That's been happening to me for a long while now. Ya have to visit threads occasionally to keep the notifications coming. Unfortunately, I also get emails from threads that I'm Not following, just after a visit there.

retired1

Administrator
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    No issues experienced here with logging in since I last posted although have had some issues with email notifications just stopping after a while. I go to the thread and see messages that I never got an email for. Sometimes they are listed in the upper right hand corner.

You get one notice/email per subscribed thread until you reset by reading the thread. Then the notification marker resets. You do not get an email for each and every reply.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread