ERYTHRITOL POWDER vs Sucralose

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliffCavin

Nov 15, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Anybody have any knowledge about Erythritol Powder? ecigexpress is selling it now and I may give it a try.

How does it compare to Sucralose?
I found a couple older threads about this, but none seemed to have any conclusions.

I currently use Sucralose or Ethyl Maltol mixed at 1/4 teaspoon to 10ml of PG. This seems to work well, although I find that EM often seems to recrystalize if it sits for a long time. Sucralose seems to dissolve more completely and permanently.

Does Erthritol mix at the same 1/4 teaspoon (about 1 gram) per 10ml of PG, like Sucralose does?
Does it taste good?
Does it stay dissloved completely without recrystalizing?

Thanks,,, Cliff

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I've been using pure sucralose dissolved in PG to sweeten e-liquids for many years, I personally like it much better than Ethyl Maltol (EM). I haven't heard of or tried Erythritol but upon reading this thread I set out to do some research and was intrigued by what I learned. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that in powder form is only about 60% as sweet as sugar, in contrast pure sucralose powder is 1000x sweeter than sugar. Erythritol supposedly remains stable even at high temperatures and therefore won't caramelize, or “gunk,” up coils and wicks when used as an e-liquid sweetener, customer reviews for erythritol liquid concentrate seem to confirm this. If true this would be a -significant- improvement over sucralose and other popular e-liquid sweeteners. Since it's 1000x less sweet than pure sucralose powder I wonder how much erythritol powder you'd need to dissolve in PG to make a suitable ready-to-use liquid concentrate. Several users report needing to add a higher percentage of erythritol liquid concentrate than when using sucralose based sweetener but I personally see no problem with that even if it makes it considerably more expensive to use. In any case I intend to try some pre-mixed liquid concentrate to see if it mutes flavor or recrystallizes over time (like Ethyl Maltol will). I make and mix NETs vaping them exclusively, a light sweetener that doesn't caramelize on coils would be a -nice-addition to my mixing arsenal....

CliffCavin

Nov 15, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks folks for the replies.

I've always been pretty happy with Sucralose. I also like that a 20 gram bag of it will last me 3 to 4 years. But, I always keep an ear to the ground for something better.

For $1.99 I may try a 20 gram bag of Erythritol from EcigExpress, and get some more Sucralose too.

So, has anyone actually used Erythritol for a while and can comment on the taste and mixing ratio? Sounds like we would need to use a whole lot more than a single gram (1/4 teaspoon) to make 10ml of concentrate. Ideally, I like to end up with sweetener where I can use one drop per ml to sweeten a batch of home brew.

Thanks again,,, Cliff

Reactions: Str8vision

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It is much less sweeter than sucralose, so to get similar effect you need much more of it. My thought - why to put much more of unknown stuff in your lungs?

It's not any more unknown than using Sucralose, ethyl maltol, or Stevia in your lungs. None, to my knowledge, have been tested for safety for inhalation, only ingestion. I do like erythritol at a low concentration (1% of the liquid erthritol I bought from ecigexpress is plenty sweet enough for my recipes) and appreciate it not gunking my coils as easily as the other commonly used sweeteners. I didn't even realize you could also find it in powder form to make your own liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread