Not open for further replies.

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
One ml has the mass of 1 gram...

9ml of PG + 1 gram of EM crystals = 10 grams. If 1 gram of the total 10 gram solution is EM crystals, 1/10, 10%...

If you dont have a scale, the 1/4 teaspoon in 8/9/10 ml of PG is safe.

The Flavor Apprentice says use 8, science says 9, and ECX says 10.

Whatever you do, just be consistent... so that the EM you add to mixes is consistent and yields the same effects.

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
Not to be pedantic, but well, to be pedantic, 1 mL of pure water has a mass of 1 gm. PG is close enough not to matter. 1 mL of PG has a mass of 1.04 gms. But when you get to the glycerin crowd like me, it is different. 1 mL of glycerin has a mass of 1.26 gms.

But then again I think calculators and percentages are all a load of crap anyway, so I totally agree, exact percentages are not that important because taste is subjective anyway. Technique, consistency, the ability to reproduce a recipe is all that matters, not whether a solution is 5% or 5.37% or 4.69% by weight.

I advise using weights for powders and volumes for liquids simply because with the tools we have available those are reasonable, simple techniques that you should be able to repeat reliably.

gcmsdan

Jun 29, 2013
Cypress, Tx.
Hi, To make a 10% solution:
To make a 10gram total solution, add 1.0 gram Ethyl Maltol to 9.0 grams Solvent. So if you want to make a 1 gram total solution, you add 0.1gram ethyl maltol to 0.9gram solvent. To dissolve, it helps to have a hot plate/stirrer. You can get these from used laboratory supply shops/online auctions, ect. They make plastic coated laboratory magnets that you can drop into the beaker and stir the solution. Add a small amount of heat only. If you over heat it will cause it to turn red. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dan

I just ordered an ounce of the Ethyl Maltol crystals and was hoping to get some tips on how much to add to liquids.

TFA says "These can be dissolved in alcohol or Propylene Glycol @ 10%. (use a little heat)". But I find myself stymied on how to figure out how much of a dry crystal to add to a liquid to equal 10%. Liquid to liquid I understand. A cc in my syringe into a 10 ml bottle and I have 10%. But I haven't seen anything on this particular issue for all my hunting.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
You really don't need a hot plate or anything like that, either.. It might speed it up but not necessary. I add 1g EM crystals to 9ml PG and just shake it over the course of a day or so and it all dissolves fine! Maybe just run it under hot water for a while while shaking if you are in a hurry!
buy hey, if you've got a hot plate and magnetic stirrer you may as well use it, right?

gtbb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Cape Coral,Florida
Hi, To make a 10% solution:
To make a 10gram total solution, add 1.0 gram Ethyl Maltol to 9.0 grams Solvent. So if you want to make a 1 gram total solution, you add 0.1gram ethyl maltol to 0.9gram solvent. To dissolve, it helps to have a hot plate/stirrer. You can get these from used laboratory supply shops/online auctions, ect. They make plastic coated laboratory magnets that you can drop into the beaker and stir the solution. Add a small amount of heat only. If you over heat it will cause it to turn red. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dan
I for one if needed a plate/stirrer would not be diy at any time. Thanks for the suggestion.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Would a magnetic stirrer hot plate be better than an ultra sonic cleaner? I actually have one and was thinking about getting an Ultra sonic cleaner but completely forgot I could probably use my hot plate stirrer.. I still need to get some little magnetic stirrers but I gotta try that.. It doesn't have specific temperature settings but I can use a thermometer..

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
If you have this stuff great! I would say a small set of digital scales, again cheap on ebay are essential. As for all the rest as a formally trained chemist sure I would love to have a small lab in my basement, but seriously, a hot water bath, a good regular shaking, and a *little* patience is all that is really required to make EM solutions as well as about 99%+ other DIY e-juice endeavors. :)

Can anyone help me with this? I just recently ordered this Maltose Powder from ebay & I'm not too sure its the right stuff, not only is it labeled as a powder, under material it says "Starch". I thought it was Maltol crystals when I bought it but it doesn't say crystals anywhere & it definitely has a powdery, starchy texture to it, not like crystals. It does dissolve in PG but its not very sweet at all @ 1/4 tsp in 10ml of PG. It also seems to be gunking up my coil quicker than usual, is this the right stuff:

(--->CLICK HERE<---)

Is it the same as this or are they different: (--->CLICK HERE<---)

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Without getting really technical, a quick check in Wikepedia shows they are totally different substances. Their molecular structure is significantly different, maltose is C12 H22 O11, while ethyl maltol is C7 H8 O3. Just a guess, but the higher amounts of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are probably the source of the higher gunk factor.

Without getting really technical, a quick check in Wikepedia shows they are totally different substances. Their molecular structure is significantly different, maltose is C12 H22 O11, while ethyl maltol is C7 H8 O3. Just a guess, but the higher amounts of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are probably the source of the higher gunk factor.

Yea that's what I figured, thanks for the heads up. I got some ethyl maltol sweetener (in PG) before from a friend & it seemed different from what I got on ebay, it had a more caramel/cotton candy essence to it & it definitely seemed sweeter, it would also get this lite brownish tint that would seem to get more pronounced over time, this Maltose Powder diluted in PG is still clear after a week. It was only $10 with free shipping so its not like I'm out much, I'm more peeved about the fact that I used this "coil-gunking-starch-powder" to make 60ml of 12mg e-liquid with my favorite flavorings, used the last of my Holy Grail RY4 & now I'm not even sure I even want to vape it anymore. I actually added 10 more drops of this crap to each bottle because it wasn't sweet enough, it was already gunking up the coil in my iHybrid Pure WAAAY faster than normal. So is this stuff safe to Vape????

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I can't speak to its' safety for vaping specifically, but generally anything you can eat can be vaped without any serious side effects. I would suggest that in the future you check on-line for the specific ingredients when shopping for flavorings. It could have saved you 60ml of liquids LOL.

I can't speak to its' safety for vaping specifically, but generally anything you can eat can be vaped without any serious side effects. I would suggest that in the future you check on-line for the specific ingredients when shopping for flavorings. It could have saved you 60ml of liquids LOL.

So I have 60ml of this beautiful looking & smelling tobacco juice with that coil gunking malt sugar powder in it, I don't want to vape it but I just can't seem to trow it out, what should I do with it? Should I just dump it out or what?

If it's wrecking coils that fast, and you don't rebuild your own coils, I'd get rid of it. Any money you save on the liquid will be more than offset by the cost of new coils or devices.

Yea I went a head & just dumped it out, made me a lil sad & kinda reminded me of when I quit drinking & pored out my liqueur bottles, I wanted to use it but it just wasn't good for me, lol.

So I went a head & ordered the proper EM on ebay, this one: (-->CLICK HERE<--)
I put 1/4tsp in 10ml PG & then put the bottle in a coffee cup of hot water on a coffee cup warmer. Well the coffee cup warmer I have is an old one & is apparently malfunctioning, I went to check the EM solution & the water in the coffee cup on the warmer was HOT, almost boiling hot. It dissolved the EM crystals almost completely so I gave it a good shake & put in my DIY box. Well I went back a few hours later to check it & for some reason the crystals had reformed in the PG, they were very tiny particles almost like a white milky powder that settles on the bottom, even when I shake the hell out of it it wont dissolve anymore. I'm no chemist or anything but I think that because the coffee cup warmer got to hot it did something to the crystals or the PG or something, IDK. Its been 2 days & there's still milky crystals in the bottle, about 1/4tsp worth, they won't dissolve anymore & again I only put 1/4tsp in 10ml PG so its not over saturation. So I did another 1/4tsp of EM in 10ml of PG & put it in a cup of hot water from my sink (no cup warmer this time)& let it sit in it until it cooled. I shake it every few hours or so & its definitely dissolving but its been 12hrs & there's still some crystals in there, is this normal? Should I do another hot tap water bath or just keep shaking?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I looked at your link and one of the things I noticed was a "no food use" warning. I regularly mix EM crystals with PG at 1/4 tsp to 10ml without a problem. I microwave it for a few seconds at a time, stirring after each microwave cycle. It typically seems to take five or six cycles to get it all dissolved and I always give it "one more shot", just to be sure. I have not experienced the precipitation that you have. I do buy my EM from Wizard Labs, which is technically Flavor Apprentice for the source.

Please, be careful with your ingredients and stick to known safe and quality suppliers. The little money saved buying bulk from unknown sources just isn't worth the risk, in my opinion, and I'm so cheap a squeak standing still, LOL.

I looked at your link and one of the things I noticed was a "no food use" warning. I regularly mix EM crystals with PG at 1/4 tsp to 10ml without a problem. I microwave it for a few seconds at a time, stirring after each microwave cycle. It typically seems to take five or six cycles to get it all dissolved and I always give it "one more shot", just to be sure. I have not experienced the precipitation that you have. I do buy my EM from Wizard Labs, which is technically Flavor Apprentice for the source.

Please, be careful with your ingredients and stick to known safe and quality suppliers. The little money saved buying bulk from unknown sources just isn't worth the risk, in my opinion, and I'm so cheap a squeak standing still, LOL.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F-ING SH--TING ME!!!!! I got the wrong EM AGAIN!! Please excuse me while my head explodes. I didn't even see that warning, I just saw 99.2% pure Ethyl Maltol crystals & figured it was the right stuff, it looks just like the EM crystals Ive seen other people use. Well guess what, I'm able to get the crystals dissolved but they REFORM RIGHT BACK EVERY TIME THE PG COOLS!!!! They reform into this white/milky/powdery looking state that doesn't look right at all. Well I dripped some of the milky crystals into some e liquid & you can see the crystals floating in the juice, I gave it a good shake & let sit for a while, came back & no crystals at all, completely dissolved into the juice, very weird, I don't get this at all, lol. It looks & smells EXACTLY like the EM crystals my friend got from onestopdiyshop, like a caramelized sugar/cotton candy. Ive been vaping the juice I mixed it in & it tastes fine, sweetens just like the EM from onestop, so again this begs the question, is this stuff safe to vape? Can this stuff be harmful? I think I should email the seller & ask even though I'm almost positive their going to say, "DON'T DO IT!".

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Your solution of EM/PG is super saturated. The warm liquid will hold the EM in solution until it cools and then the excess EM will re-crystalize. Every time it's warmed the crystals will dissolve and then re form upon cooling. The clue was when you stated that it dissolves when added to more liquid. Just add a little less crystals next time (or increase the liquid slightly).
As for being safe to vape, if it's sold as food grade then it's as safe as any flavourings we use. If it's not food grade then you need to make an educated decision on whether to use it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread