EU EU decides to regulate coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
Yesterday, the European Parliament has ratified the CPD (Coffee Products Directive) that will allow member states to regulate coffee, in order to protect EU citizens from the health risks posed by cafeine. From 2016 onwards, only coffee machines that deliver cups of no more than 15cl will be allowed. Furthermore, each cup must contain the exact same amount of cafeine. Any coffee machines that fail to adhere to these strict standards will not be authorised for sale. Coffee may only be sold in pads or cups (Senseo / Nespresso system) and packages of pads may contain no more than 16 pads. Sale of ground coffee or coffee beans will be outlawed. Espresso may no longer be served because it contains too much cafeine, and coffee with added flavours such as mocca, vanilla, cappuccino, frappaccino, etc. will also be banned because they're too attractive to young people. Even though the regulation has been put in place to control cafeine, the rules will also apply to decaf coffee. However, energy drinks containing cafeine as well as tea will still be freely available.

"Our goal is not to ban coffee," commented an MEP. "Europeans will still be able to drink coffee at their leasure. We're just seeking to regulate coffee for the sake of public health. Europeans will be sure that any cup of coffee they drink adheres to the same strict standards so they can safely continue to enjoy it."

Sounds outrageous? Well, it would be, if it were true. But this is exactly what the EU has decided to do to electronic cigarettes, that are no more dangerous than coffee!

(Please copy and distribute this text as often as you like! I wrote it to induce a "shock effect" in people who have no idea what's going on in the vape world, and the Dutch and French versions that I've already placed on Facebook and several forums have indeed had the desired effect...)

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
Posted on my facebook. Got a rant from an ANTZ that caffeine is nowhere close to nicotine in the addictive scale, and that appearantly coffee is okay, due to the general population saying so. On the other hand, i got several of my mothers friends (ages around 50-85) to sign up for EFVI. Success.

Well, it is true of course that nicotine is a lot more addictive than cafeine, there's no doubt about that. But that's not the point. It's not the addiction that's in question, it's the health risk. Every time I see a report on vaping, the concluded dangerousness of it seems to decline further. First it was "definitely less dangerous than smoking", then it was "400-1000x less dangerous than smoking", then "no more dangerous than coffee" and recently I've heard "it's less dangerous than our current sugar consumption; it's about as dangerous as eating fruits, vegetables or fish; fruits and vegetables may contain pesticides and fish may contain heavy metals or dangerous bacteria such as salmonella."

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
Keep your dirty paws off MY COFFEE!

I live in France, it's as much a national drink as wine here, which, in passing, would be more suitable as product to be regulated. This will not pass quietly by...

Will they put regulations on how much "clean" air we breath next ?? And tea ?? That's just like coffee...so in the UK no more tea ?? LMAO

It's as bad as regulations on vaping :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread