Rapture
Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And this is why you should always lock your mod when sticking it in a bag or pocket. The question I have is where's the vaper the suitcase or bag who just left it? Clearly someone not committed to vaping otherwise they never would have left it unattended. I would never abandon my vape gear.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
and... a laptop, phone, or "Ipad" could have done the same thing too... I wonder if it was any of those items, would the end results be the same... media wise??
Nope. Only if it was a Galaxy Note 7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It kind of sounded like it could be either. That said, if the user didn't lock or turn off the mod, it could have been "firing" on its own, discharging "smoke" or it may have hit the point of battery venting where you'd smell electrical, actual smoke. With that said, what an unfortunate happening and news story... I'm wondering if said vaper "abandoned" the suitcase in fear of what would happen to them... Evacuating an entire station sounds pretty major. So my thoughts are also, "%^*()_$E#$^". Sigh. I kinda hope that vaper is found, because whatever happened to the equipment the right thing to do would have been to explain the issue and ask for a fire extinguisher to be brought to the scene...

Anna

Reactions: Zutankhamun

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
and... a laptop, phone, or "Ipad" could have done the same thing too... I wonder if it was any of those items, would the end results be the same... media wise??

In this case, yes.

Terrorism has been a VERY real thing in Europe for decades. People don't play around with this stuff over there. What many in North America may think is trivial, results in a full blown emergency response in Europe.

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s, the Red Army Faction was a very real and deadly group. To this day, I still do walk arounds on my vehicle before I unlock the doors and get into it. In the UK, decades of dealing with IRA bombings has resulted in high vigilance and reactions to suspect devices. A case that's emitting smoke (or vapor) is going to result in a full blown emergency response, regardless of what the cause is.

Reactions: Tonee N

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think it SHOULDN'T have been an emergency, regardless of what was venting/smoking actually, and I'd be surprised if that happened in any US airport and the results wouldn't have been the same. Evacuation of an area where something looks like it may be a *bomb* should result in the same precautions, wherever. Had the suitcase not been unattended, at least the person could have informed authorities WHAT it was and how to handle it more swiftly, but since it was unattended (who does that anymore?) the response wasn't over the top in any way, IMO.

I'm going to agree that many European nations have had to deal with terrorism a lot more than the US, though. IRA bombings have been terrible. I'd be happy if the US emulated Europe more in their caution, but it is easier to grow complacent about some stuff, depending on where you live. I'm not even faulting the media on this one or the official response, I just believe it to be a shame that someone either "fled" their problem (I'm sorry, if I had an e-cig venting or smoking, I would not LEAVE though I might step back from the suitcase, and I'd claim responsibility) or left something that had the possibility of explosion unattended to begin with. Even if I'd get fined, or some other thing happened, I wouldn't leave my carry-ons ANYWHERE, I take them into the bathroom with me if I'm alone, I don't even ask someone to watch my stuff, etc. etc. I think it's a shame it happened, but the response was perfectly justified and I'd hope that if someone travelling here did the same thing, the same precautions would be taken, in fact. I'm not surprised by it, and I think it's a shame, and I do hope they figure out whose person's suitcase that was as it's made perfectly clear with relevant signage not to leave bags unattended anywhere, though I haven't taken a train in a while, I'm not sure if they have the same policies as airports, but they *should*.

Anna

Anna

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I don't think it SHOULDN'T have been an emergency, regardless of what was venting/smoking actually, and I'd be surprised if that happened in any US airport and the results wouldn't have been the same. Evacuation of an area where something looks like it may be a *bomb* should result in the same precautions, wherever. Had the suitcase not been unattended, at least the person could have informed authorities WHAT it was and how to handle it more swiftly, but since it was unattended (who does that anymore?) the response wasn't over the top in any way, IMO.

I'm going to agree that many European nations have had to deal with terrorism a lot more than the US, though. IRA bombings have been terrible. I'd be happy if the US emulated Europe more in their caution, but it is easier to grow complacent about some stuff, depending on where you live. I'm not even faulting the media on this one or the official response, I just believe it to be a shame that someone either "fled" their problem (I'm sorry, if I had an e-cig venting or smoking, I would not LEAVE though I might step back from the suitcase, and I'd claim responsibility) or left something that had the possibility of explosion unattended to begin with. Even if I'd get fined, or some other thing happened, I wouldn't leave my carry-ons ANYWHERE, I take them into the bathroom with me if I'm alone, I don't even ask someone to watch my stuff, etc. etc. I think it's a shame it happened, but the response was perfectly justified and I'd hope that if someone travelling here did the same thing, the same precautions would be taken, in fact. I'm not surprised by it, and I think it's a shame, and I do hope they figure out whose person's suitcase that was as it's made perfectly clear with relevant signage not to leave bags unattended anywhere, though I haven't taken a train in a while, I'm not sure if they have the same policies as airports, but they *should*.

Anna

Anna
Actually the US airports were like overseas airports after 9/11 for about a month or two. We had a huge military presence at Ohare at that time(I was an Operations Manager at the time).
Our country is "reactive" instead of "proactive" like other countries when it comes to unattended luggage. Outside the US it has been taught for years to notice these things. Here it's a "not my problem, don't want to get involved" attitude toward most things.
After this we should take the example from other countries and be very attentive to our surroundings and be proactive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread