eVic MVR v1.2 (with FW v1.2) released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birchi

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
SE Virginia
alright, I updated my evic and mvr found my device...disconnected it and set my evic up they way I want it. Was about to mess with the mvr vw mode and I connected my evic to my laptop and its not finding my device. I tried uninstalling the mvr 1.2, and putting back mvr 1.0 and still can't find my device. uninstalled mvr 1.0 and reinstalled mvr 1.2. Still can't find my device. Using windows 7...any ideas how i can get this recognized by my system again?

Hrm. I had a similar issue earlier and just uninstalled/reinstalled MVR 1.2 and it was good to go. Make sure you are disconnecting, reinstalling, reconnecting.

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada
alright, I updated my evic and mvr found my device...disconnected it and set my evic up they way I want it. Was about to mess with the mvr vw mode and I connected my evic to my laptop and its not finding my device. I tried uninstalling the mvr 1.2, and putting back mvr 1.0 and still can't find my device. uninstalled mvr 1.0 and reinstalled mvr 1.2. Still can't find my device. Using windows 7...any ideas how i can get this recognized by my system again?

Same thing here, worked well when I first installed it. Disconnected my evic. Try to reconnect to computer and the device is not popping up.

It did the same thing with MVR Ver. 1.1 and to get it to read again, I had to re-install MVR Ver 1.1 on top of the old one.

Now just tried with MVR Ver 1.2 and it's the same, have to re-install every time. especially if I reboot my computer.

I am also using windows 7.

Bummer... I'll wright a comment to Joyetech about that.

Other then that, it works fine.

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
Loving the update.

When going through the menus, some options I couldn't set manually, like the battery I could only set to 800 or 900 but not 700 (with the 1st digit at 0), and alarm temp I couldn't set to 100, would only go up to 99. But when I configured these options through the MVR software, it works just fine. I don't know if that was just a bug with my setup, a first boot bug, or what. But it's working great now after adjusting settings via MVR and writing to the evic. I went back to the menus and it showed 700 for the batt and 100 for the alarm temp.

Another feature I like is holding the scroll wheel to the left scrolls through the display options for your home screen and holding the scroll wheel right scrolls through different power settings (VV/VW/MVR VV/MVR VW). This way I can still see approximately how many puffs I have left and then scroll right back to showing voltage/power/resistance. Big thumbs up here!

I have yet to fiddle with the MVR VV/VW, and I didn't like auto mode (though I can see why some would like it). All in all, a great upgrade, they made the deadline, and I feel MUCH better about dropping $100+ on this battery. For a minute there I thought it was going to be LG/Nvidia G2X bull crap all over again lol (those who have one know what I mean).

EDIT: Nope, still can't manually adjust battery below 800mAh. When I went to change it, it jumped to 800 and would only go to 900 or back to 800, no 700 available, but redo it through MVR and 700 shows up and puff count reflects the change. Guess it's a bug they're going to have to work out, but no big deal, it's beta still, and so far it's been great. Btw, I'm using a short 18350 tube (works great) which is why I needed to change the battery size. If you're not using a small battery, it's a non issue really. And the alarm temp is kind of useless in my opinion, as it only ever goes off when it's charging (heating up because of the charging circuit I imagine).

One change I would like to see is the MVR write process. Whenever you make a change and click modify, it writes to the device. I would rather be able to change ALL options and have one button at the top or bottom to "sync" or "write" (or "modify" even) all at the same time. Having so many writes to the device just doesn't seem like an ideal way to go about it. The software for my Harmony remote is a good example. I can make any and all changes I want to the configuration and THEN upload the configuration to the remote in one swoop, rather than individually writing each menu one at a time.

Last edited:

Regzzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
NCR, Canada
Ok< I found a way to make the MVR recognize the evic after disconnect for those that have problems with windows 7.

Right click on the MVR icon on your desktop, and select "run as administrator"

there, it should recognize your evic now...

Unfortunately you have to do this every time... unless you do this:

Right click on MVR icon,
select properties,
select compatibility tab,
way at the bottom, check the box that says "run this program as administrator"
save.

With this setting saved, when you plug in your evic, and the MVR is not running, it will still not recognize your evic, BUT, when you start the program, it will recognize it now.

PS: you might get a "User control window" that pop up... just click yes.

Hope this helps.

Reg

Last edited:

Jourelem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
mira loma, CA.
alright, so here's what i've found. I disconnected the evic from my computer then uninstalled mvr 1.2. Reinstalled mvr 1.2 and when the program opened after the installation, that's when I connected the evic to the computer and it finds it. When I disconnected it and reconnected it to the computer it can't find it again. So in order for my computer to find the evic I have to do that process again.

Jourelem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
mira loma, CA.
Ok< I found a way to make the MVR recognize the evic after disconnect for those that have problems with windows 7.

Right click on the MVR icon on your desktop, and select "run as administrator"

there, it should recognize your evic now...

Unfortunately you have to do this every time... unless you do this:

Right click on MVR icon,
select properties,
select compatibility tab,
way at the bottom, check the box that says "run this program as administrator"
save.

With this setting saved, when you plug in your evic, and the MVR is not running, it will still not recognize your evic, BUT, when you start the program, it will recognize it now.

PS: you might get a "User control window" that pop up... just click yes.

Hope this helps.

Reg

nice, that works perfectly!

KraKsX

Moved On
Dec 17, 2012
Lower NY
kraksx.com

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
alright, so here's what i've found. I disconnected the evic from my computer then uninstalled mvr 1.2. Reinstalled mvr 1.2 and when the program opened after the installation, that's when I connected the evic to the computer and it finds it. When I disconnected it and reconnected it to the computer it can't find it again. So in order for my computer to find the evic I have to do that process again.
Mine connects no probs, although the USB cable that came with my 2nd. eVic is defective. It works OK for charging, but not for Soft/Firmware updates.

The MVR_V1.2.zip download ... MVR1.2 introduction and guidance.pdf file is the installation reference.

c00lkatz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
SOON IS SOON!!!

WANT 4 MAC OSX?

Joyetech download

DOWNLOAD IT NOW!

A few things I noticed about the Mac version:

1) Just a note, it will ask to reboot your Mac after install. Not a big deal, just something worth mentioning. Also, it says support for WinXP/7 on their download site, which obviously isn't a big deal, but knowing which versions of Mac this program is compatible with would be nice, even if just to mention it works with all versions.

2) No charge only option. I have tried with the program running and not running while unplugging/plugging in my eVic. This is a problem.

3) It has the same documentation as the Windows version, and the program itself is exactly the same as the Windows version. Not a huge problem but it leads me to my 4th complaint...

4) I can not find a HEX folder anywhere to store the code.bin file. The installer places a code.bin file on the desktop. I have tried right clicking on the MVR application and selecting "Show Package Contents" but there is no "HEX" folder to be found. My guess is the program just looks for the firmware file on your desktop. Not a big deal unless it doesn't work. I have already updated to 1.2 via my WinXP Virtual Machine. What I am mainly concerned about is the future inability to downgrade/reflash the device should a corrupt firmware flash occur. If the program does in fact just look for the firmware file on the desktop, then I guess this isn't a biggie. Since the person above me has already upgraded, I'm guessing this is the case. Though when you select the upgrade option, it says to place the code.bin file in the HEX folder, just like in the Windows version. If this is not the case, they need to update this prompt.

5) No uninstaller. This is very inconvenient as most programs come with one nowadays and having to manually find files to delete is a pain. Not a problem as of yet, but could be in the future if a bad update occurs or they rewrite the program and use a different application (which I have seen in the past). I do not want a machine cluttered with legacy versions of software. I know you can just move the application to the trash, but this won't be a full uninstall, as is evident by the need to reboot the machine. If all they did was add an application to the "Applications" folder, then the need to reboot would not be present.

This is all I've noticed so far. Minor complaints for the most part (except no charge only option), and it is still in beta. It's definitely a good start.

Last edited:

Ikeprof

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2012
Mt Clemens, Michigan
I read in another thread regarding the "programming a curve for variable wattage/voltage" thing (I think it's called auto mode?..my eVic is being RMA'd due to poor/loose threads in the control head).

Anyhow, what I read was the OP had tried the start low and ramp up the wattage approach and found it to be a low flavor "warm" vape.

He/she then reversed it and found that they got a very nice full flavorful "cool" vape (by starting at a higher wattage for 1 second or so then ramping it down to a normal operating wattage).

I can hardly wait till my eVic is back in my hands. I'm good for now with my zMax, but the eVic had grown on me even with it's 1.1 shortcomings.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A few things I noticed about the Mac version:

1) Just a note, it will ask to reboot your Mac after install. Not a big deal, just something worth mentioning. Also, it says support for WinXP/7 on their download site, which obviously isn't a big deal, but knowing which versions of Mac this program is compatible with would be nice, even if just to mention it works with all versions.

2) No charge only option. I have tried with the program running and not running while unplugging/plugging in my eVic. This is a problem.

3) It has the same documentation as the Windows version, and the program itself is exactly the same as the Windows version. Not a huge problem but it leads me to my 4th complaint...

4) I can not find a HEX folder anywhere to store the code.bin file. The installer places a code.bin file on the desktop. I have tried right clicking on the MVR application and selecting "Show Package Contents" but there is no "HEX" folder to be found. My guess is the program just looks for the firmware file on your desktop. Not a big deal unless it doesn't work. I have already updated to 1.2 via my WinXP Virtual Machine. What I am mainly concerned about is the future inability to downgrade/reflash the device should a corrupt firmware flash occur. If the program does in fact just look for the firmware file on the desktop, then I guess this isn't a biggie. Since the person above me has already upgraded, I'm guessing this is the case. Though when you select the upgrade option, it says to place the code.bin file in the HEX folder, just like in the Windows version. If this is not the case, they need to update this prompt.

5) No uninstaller. This is very inconvenient as most programs come with one nowadays and having to manually find files to delete is a pain. Not a problem as of yet, but could be in the future if a bad update occurs or they rewrite the program and use a different application (which I have seen in the past). I do not want a machine cluttered with legacy versions of software. I know you can just move the application to the trash, but this won't be a full uninstall, as is evident by the need to reboot the machine. If all they did was add an application to the "Applications" folder, then the need to reboot would not be present.

This is all I've noticed so far. Minor complaints for the most part (except no charge only option), and it is still in beta. It's definitely a good start.

Not sure about all your issues but, it is common for many updates to drop on the desktop on new mac OS and as for Uninstall, I believe this program is pretty much stand alone. Delete the program folder and you deleted all the associated files whether on Windows or Mac.

I run several small programs that operate that way and can be installed under programs or run right from my Downloads Folder.

Leatherneck

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2013
Oregon
Same thing here, worked well when I first installed it. Disconnected my evic. Try to reconnect to computer and the device is not popping up.

It did the same thing with MVR Ver. 1.1 and to get it to read again, I had to re-install MVR Ver 1.1 on top of the old one.

Now just tried with MVR Ver 1.2 and it's the same, have to re-install every time. especially if I reboot my computer.

I am also using windows 7.

Bummer... I'll wright a comment to Joyetech about that.

Other then that, it works fine.

I have that exact same issue. Meh. Sucktastic, but I'll work with it for now.

Blurgas

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2012
I replaced the puff counter on the screen and now have it set to display watts and OHMs...This I like alot!
Heh, that reminds me. Was looking at some eGo/KGo sized VV's when I noticed in the description that it didn't include silly things like puff counters, then saw a bit farther down that the new version included a puff counter

Brownz

Dec 15, 2012
Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread