EVOD batteries require specific charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
So EVOD batteries work perfect for my situation. I want to adopt the system across the board.

But when I purchased the EVOD battery, it was suggested to get this specific charger:

Standard eGo / EVOD USB Wire Charger

It says in the description: This charger can ONLY be used with eGo batteries or EVOD batteries (includes all eGo style and EVOD style batteries)

What is so special about these batteries that they require a EVOD/eGO capable charger?

I hate the chargers that have a tail/wire - are there any chargers that work with the EVOD battery that are just the little USB stubby?

Reactions: stols001

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Did you not buy an Evod starter kit? The kits come with a charger. The Evod/eGo battery is unique in that it screws into the end of the charger. That is the only way to charge it that I am aware of. It is a different kind of battery from any other ecig battery. I probably have a few laying around if you would like me to send you one.

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
No I bought the single batteries, myfreedomsmokes has them on sale for $6 and then I bought that charger that I linked to because it said that EVOD chargers are special/different/whatever.

But I don't want that charger because it has a wire tail on it. I want to use a charger like one of these with NO wire tail:

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

This charger also allows vapes to screw into them to charge - but I don't know if this one or these kind are rated for the EVOD batteries?

• Disagree
Reactions: Izan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What is so special about these batteries that they require a EVOD/eGO capable charger?
Batteries, chargers, and AC wall adaptors must be matched up according to specifications. Using an inappropriate charger or wall adaptor could cause damage resulting in a fire or explosion with the battery. This was relatively common a few years ago when mismatched batteries, chargers and wall adaptors were used by uninformed users (see video below).

Evod/eGo batteries are LiPo or LiPoly in chemistry type. They are not technically a safer chemistry battery such as the safer chemistry IMR/IMR-hybrid batteries used in the larger ecig mods.

The chargers without the tail (like you want to use) are meant for the short 510 or "cigalike" batteries, not eGo type batteries.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have never seen those but I see no reason why it wouldn't be fine for an Evod/eGo battery as long you can screw it in.
Not necessarily true. Some chargers will allow connection to both eGo's and cigalikes, but just because they connect doesn't necessarily mean the specifications are kosher for one another. Use only the charger and wall adaptors recommended by the manufacturer.

"This charger is NOT to be used with small "510 sized" or "cigalike" batteries, even if the threads fit."

Last edited:

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Not necessarily true. Some chargers will allow connection to both eGo's and cigalikes, but just because they connect doesn't necessarily mean the specifications are kosher. Use only the charger and wall adaptors recommended by the manufacturer.

"This charger is NOT to be used with small "510 sized" or "cigalike" batteries, even if the threads fit."

Great point. It is advertised as being compatible with Evod and eGo batteries but that certainly isn't a guarantee and you do have to read the fine print. Thanks!

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
Ok I agree - chargers and batteries should not be used together unless they are known to be compatible - hence why I am here.

The charger I have is for the O Pen Vape 2.0 ciga-like sized vape - so how would I know if this one is compatible with the EVOD battery spec wise? (assuming it threads in fine)

What about the tailess version cornflakes linked to? Would it be safe with the EVOD battery? Seems some in this thread are unsure if it is or not? It looks just like the other version that website sells with the tail.

My friend has a ePro 650 kit (Yes ePro not eGO) that came with the tailless charger - so should I just find one of these ePro chargers? It's identical to the EVOD battery by kangertech right?

Last edited:

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
This was the kit he got:

ePRO EGO Vaping starter kit | Cig2o.com

As you can see those chargers are tail-less and must be fine for the ePro (and hopefully the eGo/evod style batteries as his was a kit from Cig2go manufacturer

Here's a compatible charger it seems?

Vapage E-Cigarette USB Charger

So this should work just fine for the EVOD since the EVOD is the same type of battery as the ePro right?

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
This was the kit he got:

ePRO EGO Vaping starter kit | Cig2o.com

As you can see those chargers are tail-less and must be fine for the ego/epro/evod style batteries as this was a kit from manufacturer

Here's a compatible charger it seems?

Vapage E-Cigarette USB Charger

So this should work just fine for the EVOD since the EVOD is the same type of battery as the ePro right?

I have found that the tail-less style tend to get lost and also put more strain on the USB interface.
Having used both types for a few years, I would never buy a tail-less. They are made as cheaply as possible and are only included in the most basic "almost disposable" starter kits.

YMMV

Cheers
I

FYI: RED Evic mini plus 4ml Tron S and three coils = $2.00

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
I have found that the tail-less style tend to get lost and also put more strain on the USB interface.
Having used both types for a few years, I would never buy a tail-less. They are made as cheaply as possible and are only included in the most basic "almost disposable" starter kits.

YMMV

Cheers
I

FYI: RED Evic mini plus 4ml Tron S and three coils = $2.00

While I would agree you have merits with your arguments, I want a tailless charger still ;D

Reactions: Izan

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
I found these on the website cornflakes linked the other charger on (the single & five packs were sold out, I could use a 10 pack anyways)

$8.49 510 USB Charger for eGo E-Cigarette Battery (10-Pack) - black / 420mA output at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Is this place legit?

One difference I can tell from these ego rated chargers compared to the one I have from O Pen Vapes - the O Pen charger says Output is 5.0V - 120 mA while this eGO 10 pack says 4.2V - 420 mA

I assume this is what separates it from being a cigalike charger and a eGo/EVOD charger?

JohnnyScience

May 4, 2011
USA
Ok cool - why do you say I'd have to wait? Are they not based in the US? (which is fine, I just want to make sure I have the right expectations.

Also, One difference I can tell from these ego rated chargers compared to the one I have from O Pen Vapes - the O Pen charger says Output is 5.0V - 120 mA while this eGO 10 pack says 4.2V - 420 mA

I assume this is what separates it from being a cigalike charger and a eGo/EVOD charger?

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Bad posted a video of what can happen if one was to use a cig-a-like tailless charger to charge an ego type battery. It wasn't pretty. :(

Yes, the numbers are the difference. You would NEVER want to use a 120mAh charger to charge your ego/evod type batteries. I am thinking that the 420mAh charger would be sufficient. JMHO

Edited to add: I prefer chargers with cords. The reason....I like to contain my batteries in a fire proof container (in my case a pyrex cup) while charging hoping it will help contain any incident that may occur.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
One way to find out without having the uncertainty associated with following the advice of internet gurus.

Get one of the ones you want to use, take it outside with an extension cord, connect a sacrificial eGo battery to it and see what happens.

You should know in an hour or three whether it will work.

Just make sure that there are no combustible materials (like a house, a kid, a dog) within about a 4m radius.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok cool - why do you say I'd have to wait? Are they not based in the US? (which is fine, I just want to make sure I have the right expectations.
Fast Tech is a legitimate online source based in China, not too different from the US Amazon. They sell a lot of things besides e-cig gear. Some stuff is legit/authentic brand name (it will advertise as such); some will be advertised as "xxxx-appearing" which hints that it is a clone or copy of the item. Orders can take anywhere from 3 - 4 weeks because of shipping. Some items offer free shipping. I believe Li-Ion batteries are NOT available for sale to USA customers by Fast Tech because of fire hazzards during shipping.

I worked for a vape shop for a year in 2014. We sold eGo and Evod kits, single batteries, chargers and wall adaptors. At one point during that year the director of operations for our chain decided to discontinue sales of the smaller " tailess" eGo chargers (like you desire to use) because they were generally considered to be of poorer quality like IZAN said. There was also the belief that the tailess were usually the culprit for fires and explosions. I can't back that up by any hard evidence.

However, statistically, most ecig explosions occur during the charging process.
According to this list:
E-Cigarette Explosions: Comprehensive List
There have been 50 major incidents this year (2016) alone and that's just the ones which make the news. They also go on to say...
"It is interesting to note that the nature of e-cigarette explosions has changed over the years. The FEMA document cited above suggests that approximately 80 percent of e-cigarette explosions happen during charging."

Personally, I would never use a Li-Po or Li-Poly battery for an ecig. These are not a safer chemistry battery, and if hard-shorted they have a much higher chance of resulting in a fire/explosion compared to a safer chemistry battery like an IMR-hybrid 18650. This means I choose to use a "mod" which uses external/removable batteries. They are safer in use and safer during charging; they may overheat and release hot gas, but are not likely to burn or explode. Read the article I linked to above.

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries.
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Mooch's Recommended 18650 Batteries

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread