Status
Not open for further replies.

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
G'day All.

First post here.

I've been a lurker here for a few weeks since I took up vaping to quit smoking. :thumbs:

I have done several searches regarding my following enquiry but all I've come up with is threads a few years old and I didn't want to bump them up to the top again so I've started a new thread.

Apologies to the moderators (etc) if I've done the wrong thing or posted in the wrong place. I'm still finding my way here. :blush:

Anyway. I bought a cheap Evod clone about 5 weeks ago from my local tobacco store.
Long story short it's junk, but I knew absolutely nothing when I bought it.
I live and learn.

About a week later after educating myself here I bought a genuine Kanger Evod stater kit which as you know comes with 5 spare coils.
I love this kit, And have been able to almost kick my ciggy habit. (Down to a couple of rollies per day from at least 15)

I've read various old threads about how often people change their coils.
The longevity of coils seems to vary Wildly.
Anything from a couple of days to quite a few weeks. (Even months)

I Vape heavily and decided to change out my first coil today only to discover there was zero noticeable difference in amount of vapour, and flavour.

I pulled the old coil apart to find no trace of gunk or burning on the coil and wicks.
I go through at least one tank of juice everyday in each of my evods. (50/50 VG PG tobacco flavours with around 18mg added nic)

I threw the old coil into a pot of boiling water anyway just to see what would happen.
Only difference was a nice clean white wick containing no juice residue.
Tried it again in the Evod and just as before there is no noticeable difference in flavour or vapour.

My guess is I'll be able to get at least 6 weeks out of a coil. Easily.

What I don't understand is why some Evod users are only getting a few days out of the exact same equipment before needing to change coils due to burnt taste etc?

Reactions: Foggy Road

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
And my Kanger Topbox mini arrived this morning, along with a cuppla new coffee flavoured juices, and a cuppla 18650 batts.
Been vaping on this all arvo and it's an awesome step up from my humble Evods which have been retired to flavours other than my favourite tobacco juices.

VERY happy so far! :thumbs:

Reactions: Foggy Road

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Coil life is highly dependent on the specific juice you use as well as the wattage you are vaping at. I mix my own juice and only use RDA's, but there are some of my recipes that will make a coil and wick last for many, many mL of juice, and others which will completely gunk up my coils after going through less than half a mL. Some of my recipes will have a long coil life if I vape at just 30-40 watts but will gunk up quickly if I vape at 70-80 watts.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
^^^ That. Flavors with a lot of sweetener or dark color liquids crud up a coil with residue faster than light color liquids with no added sweeteners. Also the PG/VG ratio of the liquid comes into play as most people report that a high VG liquid contributes to gunking up a coil faster than liquids with a lower VG content.

I'm assuming your EVOD battery is fixed voltage which is limiting what is going on here as well. Running a tiny EVOD coil too hot at too high a voltage will also contribute to flavoring & sweetener residue building up faster.

So no - there isn't a simple answer to the coil life question as several factors come into play that all affect life span.

Reactions: iBloke

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
Coil life is highly dependent on the specific juice you use as well as the wattage you are vaping at..
I didn't know that about the juice playing a role in coil life.
The wattage part makes sense though. Thanks :)

I'm assuming your EVOD battery is fixed voltage which is limiting what is going on here as well. Running a tiny EVOD coil too hot at too high a voltage will also contribute to flavoring & sweetener residue building up faster.

So no - there isn't a simple answer to the coil life question as several factors come into play that all affect life span.
Yes I think the Evod battery is regulated at around 3.7v
My multi meter reads about 3.82v when it comes off the charger :)

Reactions: Rickajho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread