Evods taste awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohyeathat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
The ohms are anywhere from 2.4 to 2.8. I use an iTaste VV 3 and I set the volts very low to help with the taste. No higher than 3.3 to 3.7. But it still tastes off. I soaked all the parts in 50% rubbing alcohol but now I am wondering if I should have used 90% rubbing alcohol or just some vodka.

Oh and they are Evod clones from fasttech.

Ohyeathat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
There is no burnt taste. It's more like a nasty plastic or machine oil taste. Metallic and disgusting. I'm thinking it would be best for me to put them away until I want to rebuild them. And before I do that I will soak all the parts in vodka. I am not is desperate need for them at the moment since I have 2 Hypertanks due in the mail in 4 days. It is a good plan to have extra heads because I could be a total failure at rebuilding. Not to mention I would hate to be out and about and pop a coil. Eeek!

03FXDWG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
East Central, Missouri
I have genuine Kanger coils 2.2 ohms in the head originally and 1.8 ohms that I purchased separately. They taste bad only for the first couple hits. I think it's probably a manufacturing residue on the wicks &/or coil but it goes away very quickly and I put them on straight out of the package. Also, after watching several coil rebuilding videos, I suspect that the wire on our factory coils may not be annealed yet and some even mention torching the silica wick before using to burn off manufacturing residue.

Have you tested the same juice in a different delivery system or at different voltages? My fruit juices don't taste bad at 3.2 volts but do seem to taste better at 3.6 but menthol will scorch at that point on a 1.8 ohm coil. I accidentally turned my eGo-C Twist all the way up (it was dark & I was driving) on the way home earlier with my Strawberry Pineapple vape---it wasn't pretty! New 2.2 ohm factory coil and only for one very painful hit so my liquid survived the shock--my throat is still recovering--but it was definitely a very bad experience.

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Ive been happy with evods for awhile, i like them best of any clearo. I keep a tupperware type ziplock container filled with water and some vodka (i developed an allergy to alcohol so i cant drink otherwise i would have bought some cheap everclear) and after rinsing well let clearos soak for a few hrs to a few days when i forget ;)
Ive heard of funny flavors from fasttech evods until cleaned.
When my coils go it tastes gross like machine oil.

Clean tanks and let them soak for 24hrs in alcohol (booze, not rubbing) and dump juice and replace coil.
I prefer 2.2 heads on 7ish watts (4.2-4.7) and my coils last atleast a week generally depending on how much juice is run through. Id say 8-10 tanks roughly.

But if there was an issue with tank or coil the juice may be tainted. I swap coils with no ill effects but i would be wary. Dont know if you have been using same juice.

ive never dry burned a clearo coil

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I read here a few months ago about the gross "machine oil" taste from FT Evods. I bet that's it - some sort of residue on them. I didn't get that with mine, but my FT Evods were terrible otherwise. The rubber coating bubbled up and peeled off. I would recommend a vodka soak, but be prepared for the coating to peel off if you do. Also, don't buy the Protank-style heads - they won't fit in the inner tube of the FT Evods - just warnin' ya. Kanger recently made the shaft of the heads wider to discourage using them on knock-off Evods. Good luck!

EDIT: if you ever decide to use real Kanger Evods, Mt. Baker has the BEST price on them.

AdamGott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
United States
I have had that machine oil taste on a few of my EVOD clones from FASTTECH but after I started rinsing with hot water/100 proof vodka (the highest percentage alcohol that we can get in Idaho apparently!) they are not too bad. They do tend to mute the flavor a little but after a bit of use they aren't half bad.

I think I got a ten pack for something like $22 so I really can't complain! At this price they are ALMOST a throwaway item after the coil is burnt!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I got ONE Evod from Ftech, but it was leaky and had bad threads, so for the extra $1, I'd get "real" one's. They are like $5, and I think someone mentioned MtBakerVapor has em.

If it's that "WD40" taste that I used to get on ProTanks, the only way to get rid of it is SOAP.
I tried vodka and boiling, and still tasted metallic. But warm soapy water did the trick.
I don't think you should use rubbing alcohol...

So I'd do the soapy water thing, RINSE LIKE CRAZY, and start all over with a brand new coil/head.
You should be good then. EVOD's have a good reputation...and I like mine...
If it's a "leaking" thing, then I'd blame it on poor quality cloning, but it's got to be fixable if it's a flavor thing.

cliffy15

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Honolulu, HI
I absolutely love my BCCs from Kanger but like anything else, you have to know your setup and what you want out of it. I have 6 EVODs and 3 ProTank II Mini's but it took a bit to get them how I like them.

First off, if you are using the factory heads and tanks, I've noticed that there is probably a bunch of residue on your heads/tanks that you need to clear out. Soaking for about 10 minutes in white vinegar and then soaking them in very hot water works well for me in both the Evod and the ProTank for both the tanks and pre-built coils. Make sure they are completely dry before using them. Dry-burning helps when cleaning heads but you can't really torch the wick without disassembling the head ... or else you'll just burn the grommet.

Second, If you make your own heads, make sure to torch any silica wick until they burn orange before you rebuild the heads. Then make sure you dry-burn the coil. I've noticed that not torching the silica wick greatly affects the taste.

Third, burnt tastes can also result from wicking too slow. When you start a new coil make sure to prime your wicks with at least a drop or two of liquid. Even then, I also take some dry hits (vape without turning on the power) to make sure that there is enough liquid on the wick before actually vaping it. I also like to drip a single drop of liquid down the mouthpiece when using a new head. Helps the initial process for me but YMMV.

Lastly ... if you already know what your juice should taste like, you should do a comparison at the same power consumption. What tank were you using before you switched? What power were you vaping at previously? You said your Evod heads are 2.4 - 2.8 ohms (factory-rated) and you use between 3.3 - 3.7V. That's a great variation in power. At 3.3 - 3.7V for a 2.4-ohm head you are vaping from 3.5 - 5.7 watts. My personal preference ranges between 6.5 - 8W for best flavor and vapor production without burning the juice or draining the battery at a ridiculously high rate. For a 2.4-ohm head I would personally recommend you vape at about 3.8 - 4.3V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread