Evolv-ing Thread

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I used to drink that crap about 40 years ago, havent touched it since, I would just drink tea first.
I just can't drink tea! I think it goes back to my childhood. My mom had this one friend who didn't drink coffee, when she came over my mom used to make her this old stale Red Rose Tea.
The smell of it was just horrible! To today the smell of Tea makes me gag :(
Funny thing the first part time job I ever had my boss's name was Earl Grey :)

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I have about 40 different kinds of tea in the house, all of it directly imported (by myself) from its country of origin. I can make do.....

Back in the 70s I used to drink Celestial Seasonings "Morning Thunder". The blurb on the box said "Morning Thunder packs the power of a thousand charging buffaloes, so when your get up and go - wont, Morning Thunder will". It had more caffeine than coffee.

Actually learned to really appreciate tea when I was a road warrior, when every square inch of packing space mattered. I discovered that it was a lot easier to pack the gear needed to make good quality tea than it was to pack the gear needed to make good quality coffee.

Part of my tea stash....

stash-136_orig.jpg

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I love Oolong teas. Picked up some 2nd class oolongs at several b&ms in Taiwan. Even received 400gr of 1st class oolong from a friend there. 1st class tea is impossible to buy unless a friend of the tea farmer introduces you to them, then you become a friend of the farmer but can only buy 400gr of tea for the first year. Pretty good stuff.
I also picked up several hand made lava clay tea pots and a Chinese tea set. My friend there showed me how to do Chinese tea in the traditional way.
Where we would go visit someone to have coffee or drinks the Taiwanese have friendship tea and sample each other's 1st class oolongs.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I love Oolong teas. Picked up some 2nd class oolongs at several b&ms in Taiwan. Even received 400gr of 1st class oolong from a friend there. 1st class tea is impossible to buy unless a friend of the tea farmer introduces you to them, then you become a friend of the farmer but can only buy 400gr of tea for the first year. Pretty good stuff.
I also picked up several hand made lava clay tea pots and a Chinese tea set. My friend there showed me how to do Chinese tea in the traditional way.
Where we would go visit someone to have coffee or drinks the Taiwanese have friendship tea and sample each other's 1st class oolongs.

I am with you, I have a Yixing teapot specifically reserved for Oolongs.
I too do the Chinese tea thing (aka GongFu). The Chinese tea method is much more practical than the Japanese methods. Japanese is more about show and spirit, where the Chinese is more about functionality.

upload_2017-2-23_21-24-38.png

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I have about 40 different kinds of tea in the house, all of it directly imported (by myself) from its country of origin. I can make do.....

Back in the 70s I used to drink Celestial Seasonings "Morning Thunder". The blurb on the box said "Morning Thunder packs the power of a thousand charging buffaloes, so when your get up and go - wont, Morning Thunder will". It had more caffeine than coffee.

Actually learned to really appreciate tea when I was a road warrior, when every square inch of packing space mattered. I discovered that it was a lot easier to pack the gear needed to make good quality tea than it was to pack the gear needed to make good quality coffee.

Part of my tea stash....

stash-136_orig.jpg
Is that dark teardrop shaped one a Pu're tea?

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Is that dark teardrop shaped one a Pu're tea?
Yes, actually most of the teas in that pic are Pu-erh. I have a decent collection of the stuff for a white-boy. Used to run a website called Pu-erh.net, alas it has faded with time.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I am with you, I have a Yixing teapot specifically reserved for Oolongs.
I too do the Chinese tea thing (aka GungFu). The Chinese tea method is much more practical than the Japanese methods. Japanese is more about show and spirit, where the Chinese is more about functionality.

View attachment 637291
Have you tested your pot lids for fit quality? Seems to be a big deal with the Taiwanese that you should be able to lift a full pot by the lid. Water surface tension/adhesion. Only one of my pots will pass that test but it cost a small fortune.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Yes, actually most of the teas in that pic are Pu-erh. I have a decent collection of the stuff for a white-boy. Used to run a website called Pu-erh.net, alas it has faded with time.
Huh, cool. Pu'er tea tastes pretty earthy to me. I have some that's aged 45yrs. now.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Have you tested your pot lids for fit quality? Seems to be a big deal with the Taiwanese that you should be able to lift a full pot by the lid. Water surface tension/adhesion. Only one of my pots will pass that test but it cost a small fortune.
I have one that passes muster, which I only used for well aged pu-erh.
Yes, for such a tiny pot the good ones are very high dollar.

tools025.jpg

But, even a simple gaiwan can make good tea.

beachpuerh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread