Evolv-ing Thread

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Totally jealous of your upcoming eclipse! It's always been something I have wanted to see, but never quite managed it.

I'll probably have to wait for one in Sydney, 2028 if I make it that far......

Do any of you have any special plans?
no special plans ;) a 93% eclipse will have to do for me here in virginia - $1 authentic eclipse glasses at hand even though i waited till almost the last minute :p

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I saw the one back in 1979, a partial up here, but don't have any special plans for this one, 80% up here, unless you count doing yard work. I may, hopefully, be around for the next one in 2024 as well. While it is an amazing thing to see, it's just "simple" orbital mechanics and is actually a fairly frequent phenomenon. The thing making this one "special" is that it will pass from coast to coast in North America. When it happens in the middle of an ocean it just isn't as much fun.

The media just loves to make things into a "doom and gloom" scenario. I saw a piece on a local TV station discussing, in depth, the "terrible" effects on the electrical grid it will cause due to reduced output from solar panels. I guess the clouds going by or a stormy day don't have any effect. Sometimes it's tough being a cynic.

If you want to see an eclipse, better see one soon because they will stop happening. The moon is slowly getting further from the earth and will not be able to block the sun, totally, in about 500 million years. So get out there and see it now before its gone.

Cynicism is so much fun sometimes.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Do any of you have any special plans?
We drove through the path of totality last week, on the way up here to get our daughter moved it at PSU. Her fall semester classes start tomorrow. I was toying with the idea of heading south again today, to be in the path of totality on Monday afternoon, but having already driven 1500 miles in the last few days, I'm just not up for it. So 80-ish percent will have to do.

My business normally closes for lunch between 1:00 and 2:00. We'll be taking an extended lunch break tomorrow afternoon and not re-opening until 4:00, and I have glasses for everyone. Weather here is forecast to be clear tomorrow.

Last time I saw one was in 1970.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
A couple of MM! I have 2 Pharaohs I used to bring to work. The mods & attys I bring with me I want as close to the same as posable. So I can just switch the attys or the mods to cover as many failure possibilities.
So 1 works fantastic the other not so much :( I tried different wicking, every thing I could to get it to perform like the other.
I took them apart & compared side by side, under the magnifying glass, turns out the coil in the not performing well one is about 2 mm higher!
I'm thinking how can 2 mm make any difference? Well it can, I lowered the coil to be exactly like the one that is performing better. Now they are performing as close to the same as I have ever seen :)

Turns out 2mm is a Big Difference! :)

BTW with the Pharaoh IMO you want the coil as close to the air hole as posable with out hitting it :)

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I hope all of you are feeling better than me these last two days. My temp has been bouncing around between 97.2 and 101.0. I need temp control!! Maybe I should have a DNA chip implanted somewhere in my body...:rolleyes:

Not good ! Get well soon !

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Weather here is forecast to be clear tomorrow.

Lucky duck, it's forecast to probably be cloudy all over MO. I was planning on driving up a couple hundred miles to totality, but don't know now with the forecast.

Last time I saw one was in 1970.

'79 is the only one I've seen and it was partial.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If you want to see an eclipse, better see one soon because they will stop happening. The moon is slowly getting further from the earth and will not be able to block the sun, totally, in about 500 million years. So get out there and see it now before its gone.

Cynicism is so much fun sometimes.

500 million years? I don't think I have enough nic in my stash to wait for that to happen. Gonna have to put in a big order with Heartland this week.:D

I hope all of you are feeling better than me these last two days. My temp has been bouncing around between 97.2 and 101.0. I need temp control!! Maybe I should have a DNA chip implanted somewhere in my body...:rolleyes:

Hey, feel better. Running a fever never feels good. If it keeps up another day or so you might want to have it checked out with your doc.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
500 million years? I don't think I have enough nic in my stash to wait for that to happen. Gonna have to put in a big order with Heartland this week.:D
tyFGzUy.gif

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

Users who are viewing this thread