Examining the Smoking and Vaping Behaviors and Preferences of Vape Shop Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Study that shows what we all know about using vape devices and vape shops.

RESULTS
Participants reported health and the need to quit/reduce smoking as the most important
reasons for initiating e-cigarette use. Approximately 62% were biochemically-verified smoking
abstinent and 100% were using newer generation e-cigarette devices. A majority (91%) reported
enjoying vaping more than smoking, 80% preferred non-tobacco e-cigarette flavors, though
60% reported they would still vape if the only flavor available was tobacco. Participants reported
“battery life”, “tastes good”, and “curbs cravings” as the most important e-cigarette features;
the least important feature was “feels/looks like traditional cigarette”. A majority reported they
preferred to buy e-cigarette supplies at vapor shops because of “access to staff that can help
troubleshoot e-cigarette problems” (85%), and “enjoy the atmosphere” (74%).
CONCLUSIONS
Vape shop customers demonstrated a high rate of smoking abstinence and
reported product preferences consistent with newer generation devices. Customers valued
the atmosphere and the knowledgeable staff at vape shops. These findings suggest important
avenues of investigation into the effects of unique characteristics of vape shops on smoking and
vaping behaviors of their patrons, not only for clinical research but also for tobacco regulatio

Examining the Smoking and Vaping Behaviors and Preferences of Vape Shop Customers

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I wonder what percentage of vapers were caught by this study. I got my first Ego from a head shop and then got on to this forum to learn more. I've only been a vape shop a handful of times. I know a lot of folks get their gear at gas stations. I assume a lot of folks must learn from friends. I have no idea whether 5% of vapers go to vape shops, or 75%.

Still interesting stuff though.

Reactions: DC2

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
When I started vaping 2 years ago I was buying from shops and may be a third of the customers were newbies. Now most of the business seems to be regulars and far fewer new customers. I'd attribute that to the negative press discouraging smokers from considering vaping as an alternative to smoking. My impression talking to shop clerks two years ago was the percent of vape shop customers who ended up quiting smoking was more than 75%. At work I've seen a couple of people relapse but nothing compared to smoking and now that they have the gear I expect to see them start vaping again they next time they get fed up with being smokers.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
This study points out the reason why we as vapers were never considered stake holders in the eyes of the FDA or any other anti-vape organisation.

We are users of tobacco products to be observed and studied to understand the underlying
symptoms,causes and,motivations of our malady.

Rest assured research such as this will be used against us in the future.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread