Exhaled Vapor - Safe for kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanagan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
Texas
Dave, that's an oldie but goodie, but be aware that the liquid industry has undergone a complete change from when that was published, using a "simpler" Ruyan e-cig. Additionally, I think we need to be looking beyond carcinogens to other potential health hazards. Going back to diacetyl - it doesn't appear to be a carcinogen, but does cause irreversible lung damage. So people with "popcorn lung" don't have lung cancer, but they do have lung disease.

I've researched some of the other diketone compounds after some health stuff I now deal with, and it turns out that hexanedione (related to diacetyl, it's another diketone) causes spinal cord damage. Now, it's not cancer.. but trust me when I say that you don't want to wake up paralyzed one day. BIG disclaimer here - hexanedione creates a creamy/buttery flavor, but to my knowledge is NOT used by any flavoring vendors. (To their knowledge, anyway. You'd be amazed how hard it is to trace the chain of ingredients from liquid vendor to flavoring vendor to flavoring manufacturer to flavoring component manufacturer - that last one is the rub - English barriers become a huge problem when you're trying to research the 1st step in the flavoring chain.)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Dave, that's an oldie but goodie, but be aware that the liquid industry has undergone a complete change from when that was published, using a "simpler" Ruyan e-cig. Additionally, I think we need to be looking beyond carcinogens to other potential health hazards. Going back to diacetyl - it doesn't appear to be a carcinogen, but does cause irreversible lung damage. So people with "popcorn lung" don't have lung cancer, but they do have lung disease.

I've researched some of the other diketone compounds after some health stuff I now deal with, and it turns out that hexanedione (related to diacetyl, it's another diketone) causes spinal cord damage. Now, it's not cancer.. but trust me when I say that you don't want to wake up paralyzed one day. BIG disclaimer here - hexanedione creates a creamy/buttery flavor, but to my knowledge is NOT used by any flavoring vendors. (To their knowledge, anyway. You'd be amazed how hard it is to trace the chain of ingredients from liquid vendor to flavoring vendor to flavoring manufacturer to flavoring component manufacturer - that last one is the rub - English barriers become a huge problem when you're trying to research the 1st step in the flavoring chain.)

I agree. You know what you have when you do a DIY recipe, but there's no way of knowing what you get when you order from an vendor. That's not to say that most vendors aren't particularly careful when they create a new flavor, but you need to ask vendors pointed questions sometimes or you are left wondering. Most vendors care about our safety and their financial future, the latter being even more of an incentive to comply.

Diacetyl is one of those additives that is known nationally to be dangerous. It I were a vendor, I would ensure that none was in my building, much less in a recipe. If your vendor names the flavor suppliers it uses, you can go the supplier and look at the MSDS. Otherwise, you just don't know. That's why I stay away from butter flavors. I even turn the oven exhaust fan on high to microwave popcorn and leave it one for 15 minutes afterward.

Last edited:

Geordi

Sep 16, 2011
Vancouver Island
You'd be amazed how hard it is to trace the chain of ingredients from liquid vendor to flavoring vendor to flavoring manufacturer to flavoring component manufacturer - that last one is the rub - English barriers become a huge problem when you're trying to research the 1st step in the flavoring chain.)

That's the big mystery. I haven't done any DIY juicing, so I don't know if ingredients are listed on flavours? I expect not. I have the same issue when I make soap using Fragrance oils or Essential oils. No ingredients are listed, or method of extraction, and you'll notice that soaps don't list anything other than FO (fragrance oil) or EO (essential oil), so you just never know.

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
There are health risks breathing emissions from cooking, air fresheners, auto exhaust and air pollution in general.
I'd bet ecig emissions are safer than the above.

Haha, I agree. My mother goes a little psycho with some glade plug ins. I can smell that crap for days on anything out of her house. My aunt uses scented oil rings on light bulbs and you can taste it in anything she cooks, absolutely disgusting. How screwed up is that? She can't even tell it's there but everyone else knows.

The way things are now it's really impossible to avoid harmful chemicals. Even the food we eat is killing us. They don't know a lot, but what they do know is - e cigs are harmless so far. There are known carcinogens in our food and the household products we use. Personally, I'm more concerned with that. I don't knowingly use any harmful chemicals in my home (they can be sneaky) so I think vaping around my son will be okay.

After many many years of research and debate they still don't even know what human beings need to eat to be healthy. Eggs are bad. Eggs are good. Red meat will kill you. Red meat is full of essential vitamins and minerals. Red meat is full of hormones and antibiotics. Grass fed red meat is healthy. Fish is healthy. Fish is full of mercury and PCB. Grains are basically sugar. Whole grains are good for your heart. On and on...

The dilemma I now have is, I'm considering opening a home daycare. What will parents think if I vape in my home? Blah... I really don't think that will fly with how most people think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread