Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
A new vapor is very hesitant to spend the $250 to $350 or more a regulated bottom feeder would cost. Most newbs would also probably not be interested in a DIY chip mod.

The truth is Reos will never be liked by everyone no matter what you do to them. Squonking isn't for everyone. Lots of people just prefer the simplicity of filling a tank and vaping. I love my Reos but sometimes I'm so lazy I just don't want to squonk so I always have regulated mods with tanks in rotation as well as my Reos.

Rob knows all this and doesn't see it worth his while to pursue a regulated mod. He had one for a good while and it didn't make that much of a difference.

I actually have a regulated bottom feeder and quite honestly I like my new Woodvils better.

:) put it out there and let's see what happends. I bet you can't keep the kit in stock after word gets out.

Rob of all people should know how the sales were before and after releasing the vv reo grand.

All he has to do is leave a spot for the electronics and or sell a gutted resin with the spot cut and parts other then the electronics to finish it. Though also selling the chip would be nice if there hard to get.

Everything must Evolve to keep up with the market or get ready to close the doors.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Rob of all people should know how the sales were before and after releasing the vv reo grand.
.....and he also knows of the headache that went into replacing a bunch of faulty chips, (that was out of his control), and finally decided to remove them from his line, as the headache outweighed the demand!!!

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
:) put it out there and let's see what happends. I bet you can't keep the kit in stock after word gets out.

All he has to do is leave a spot for the electronics and or sell a gutted resin with the spot cut and parts other then the electronics to finish it. Though also selling the chip would be nice if there hard to get.

Everything must Evolve to keep up with the market or get ready to close the doors.

I really don't think that would happen imo. Even if it did which I doubt he would not warranty it and that alone goes against his nature and the way he handles his product.

Reactions: BlueSnake

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
.....and he also knows of the headache that went into replacing a bunch of faulty chips, (that was out of his control), and finally decided to remove them from his line, as the headache outweighed the demand!!!

Re read thread. We're talking a gutted option resin regulated kit that one buys to put there own chip in at there own risk no warrenty offered. No issue for rob.. just cut the resin and list them as fast as possable.

Buyer buys one and then buys a mech reo for backup. ;)

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Re read thread. We're talking a gutted option resin regulated kit that one buys to put there own chip in at there own risk no warrenty offered. No issue for rob.. just cut the resin and list them as fast as possable.

Buyer buys one and then buys a mech reo for backup. ;)

I'll meet you half way and agree people would buy a lot of them because it would be from him...just saying I doubt he would ever do it. :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I want to make a mod for the do it your self folks one that is set up for a chip . The wood run is done I am starting to take on new projects

I have a 18650 mod I want to build this year as well mechanical of course . No one will see it unfortunately until it is just about ready to ship . The days of me sharing the progress of a new mod is over you can thank the cloners for that . All I can say is you will love it and please don't ask time frames I am not even close

Keep in mind guys I have a really small company me and 3 other guys and mom does the shipping . I can only do so much Robs tired

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
That surprise me so we will see if it happens.
I believe he already stated in this thread he wanted to do just that..

Why leave a big gapping hole in your product line for someone else to fill and thrive in and possably out you out of buisness with.

Everyone should own a freakin reo!

I missed that and surprises me so we will see if it happens.

drjitterbomb

Account closed on request
Sep 28, 2009
Washington
I had gone through more than a few regulated devices but once I got on the REO train I basically lost interest in ... everything else but Reos. I can see the allure though! I got to play with a TC dna40 sunbox that was really sweet and the TC function was pretty cool. A lot of people want the screen and the ability to set their wattage based on the juice without having to have more than 1 device to carry around. A lot of people also only want mods that only have the screen. Something about that I haven't been able to figure out but I felt the same thing from a lot of different people. They need visual verification of what the device is doing.

That being said - I don't trust chips I didn't make. I have had so many dna and yihi and other * china brand chips fall off for no reason at all. I had a new dna30 board break on first fire in a vaporshark. I had another break 2 days after installation for seemingly no reason at all. I don't really want to see a chip like that in a REO - sort of defeats the entire purpose of it. If I had the space, I would mess around with building my own board (think PMW) to put into a REO. The problems is the mostly commonly used ones have voltage input requirements which in turn require 2 batteries. Rob doesn't make a dual 18650 reo and I don't really want one of those. Thus we are left with boost bucks chips like the DNA to hit wattage levels people want.

I would love to see a regulated REO but only if I can trust what is in it. By that I mean a open source board with common and easily sourced components assembled by the user (or sold put together by ROB) that has drop-on capability. I forsee an extra screw to hold the board to the body with the + going to a washer that sits above the gold firing sprig and the - going to a washer that sits under the negative spring. I could deal with this and replace anything that goes wrong on the board, if ever. Or at least, I can continue dreaming :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I bet all those local vaping shops are having an effect on ecf. For those new that go into a store I bet they stay there and don't go onine as much to research like back in the day.

Rob should really try to get more reos out to those b&m shops. Hopefully not the clones.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Here's maybe something relevant to the discussion....

640px-Diffusionofideas.png

We would seem to be a mixture of Innovators and Early Adopters (note: the reference is to 'early in the cycle', not literally early in time).

It would appear that vaping, in general, is in the throws of late Early Adpoters to early Early Majority (certainly based on the notion that no more than 50% of the people who could vape are already vaping).

The thing about Early Adopters is that we typically have the biggest social sway (opinion leadership) and are the most discrete adopters (Innovators try everything, Majority follows Adopters, Adopters analyze).

So maybe, just maybe, what we're doing right here (including this discussion and the potential resultant innovation) will sway the balance; if not directly, then by the network effect.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
I bet all those local vaping shops are having an effect on ecf. For those new that go into a store I bet they stay there and don't go online as much to research like back in the day.

Rob should really try to get more reos out to those b&m shops. Hopefully not the clones.

On the contrary, I bet all the local vaping shops hate ECF, and the Internet. ECF gives vaping people more knowledge than any other source, and it keeps those "professionals" at these local shops from selling you complete ........, and taking advantage of you. Local Vaping Shops are there to RAPE you!
  • Example: Local shop wanted to charge me $9.99 + tax ($11.23) for 25ft of Kanthal. Told them that I'll just order 100ft for $7 from TemCO. He said "Don't blame you. We usually get ours from there". Came home and ordered it from TemCO.

Majority of people go into local vape shops for quick item things; to see the latest greatest thing; and to try out sample juices, but I doubt the customer will totally depend on them for all their vaping needs. They WANT you to, but most people are well aware of getting better deals online.

Mountain Oak Vapers already sells Reo Grands, but I believe you can only buy them at the Shop because they don't show up on the website. I just wonder how much they jacked the price up. I'm very sure they order the Reo's, and then sell them individually.

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
In 4 years I visited a brick and mortar store once and it was an emergency. Back then it was cartos and disposable attys and I forgot to take extras. Vape shops have a big overhead and you'd expect to pay more but they tend to hike up the prices too high and using that excuse.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Well aware of that guys.. I'm just wondering how many newbies know about ecf and online ecig sites... I mean there's alot of people starting out that bought there first device at a gas station and might think wow an ecig shop might be the greatest thing hehe.

Well I think most newbies first visit the new member forum and are exposed to many avenues. As far as newbies which never heard of the ECF must have Googled their questions and will probably end up here eventually. :)

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I personally like the Reo Grand design the way it is. It does what it's designed to do -- work time and time again, and last for many years. Other than designing it a tad bit wider (to accompany wider atties), I don't get why folks are wanting to add electronic DNA boards, and other electrical components to the mix. You're looking at problematic failures after 1 year of use. Not only that, but ONE good drop on a hard surface -- it's lights out! It's done!

To invest hundreds of dollars into something, and have it completely fail because of some electrical part, OR after dropping it on the floor... just doesn't feel good in the stomach. Sounds like a big headache that I don't want any part of.

I can understand why Rob aborted the mission of using electronic boards, and electrical parts after the VV problems. All you have to worry about now... is monthly maintenance, changing batteries, and filling the juice bottle. Thanks Rob for keeping it simple!! :thumb:

Btw... Chewbacca is almost 1 year old, and still vapes like a freight train. Looking forward to many more years of use. He still looks brand new, and has the old 510 connector. No problems at all. :cool:

I drop my mods all the time, dropped a few woodies hard enough to crack them bad too but never had a dna chip fail from a fall

Hey I'm with you and Rob has giving us whst we want and need! We're all set. Though the masses are chip users and why not bring more people into the fold giving them what they want as well.

Doing so can only be a possitive for us and reosmods. Basicly means more sales and rob and crew will be around thst much longer giving us the next level of awesomeness down the road!

And as always.. if the chip users want something that won't die on them they can always buy a reo grand later!

Being just a gutted mod rob should be able to spit these boxes out quickly and by the tons.

By the way the resins seem the new styles and colors would be endless.

even as a gutted mod as you say I would expect a mod made to accommodate the chip to be just as expensive as a regular mech, and maybe even a bit more too, it's not like your leaving out a bunch of valuable components to reduce the price, it'll actually take more work and intricacies just to support a chip install than just leaving it mech.

to me the ultimate solution would be to build a reo that has a slide off side door that the chip sits in and the whole key to success to me would be making it as easy as possible to install and remove the chip. imagine if the chip just sat into a cradle and there were just 4 tiny screws to mount it and complete the contacts.. no soldering or complicated chip install. if a chip ever went bad take the cover off, remove 4 tiny screws and pop a new chip in. something like this could be designed for the dna chips for sure, I never bothered trying to do it this way because truth is the chips don't go bad often enough for me to bother, but if selling a bunch and having to support them then a modular easy to swap chip makes the most sense. hell if the chip was only 4 screws to swap out that would eliminate the bulk of the drawback in supporting a chipped reo in the first place, customers could buy a back up chip and if it ever failed they could just swap it out and deal directly with evolve for the chip warranty :)

the dnas are not as fragile as many seem to think here, I've got a dna woodie from the 2014 run that's running a dna30 for over a year now without a hiccup. the mod has been submerged and wet many times and dropped many times, once bad enough to almost crack in in half, had to glue it back together but the chip never wimpered one bit and is still going strong... it's the dna40's that have been a nightmare with software glitches but aside from that the chips are not a delicate ready to fail at a moments notice type thing

EZinTN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2014
Johnson City, TN
As much as I like regulated mods w/ dual 18650s, the only real innovation I'd like to see in a reo is a 22mm spring loaded 510, especially in the Woodvilles. A picture online of a Woodville is how I learned about squonking in the first place, and now I rarely use anything else. Going to sell or trade all my mech tubes and most of my dripping attys soon, most of my regulated boxes too. But the off center 510 and lack of flush or even mounting on my Woodville drives me nuts! If Rob made a version slightly taller (0.25" - 0.375") and slightly thicker he could center a 510 and have the door bottom slide only (if you use a 22mm that's already the case anyway, nothing lost there - also would keep over-squonked juice from getting in battery area). Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my Woodville ('15 run, [HASHTAG]#280[/HASHTAG])! And I understand all about the imperfections and asymmetry of wood, that's part of the appeal. I just wish the atty mounted flush and centered, and spring loading is definitely the way to go with 510s - perfect every time. All that said, if Rob makes a mod ready for an sx350j I'll order the day of release!

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I just hate how a box mod must conform to the new standard 22mm tube mod rda. Why not make new 16-18mm attys thst will look the best on it.

The best looking atty on the new woodvil or reo grand is a cyclone. Granted I'd like it a little bigger for more coil room. The rm4 size fits the bill? What size is that?

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I hear the "blah blah blah customs" fits the 22mm attys and it's centered.. if you want to wait for it and at a starting price of $400!!! More depending on finish and other custom options.. oh and a regulated version costs $500! Haha..

If people are paying that then they will pay a couple hundred less for a reo regulated resin kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread