Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
All this talk about berries is making me crave pie. There is got to be a Marie Callender's near here
I thought about pie too lol! Haven't had a good berry pie in a long time.

My thoughts went to past campfires under a desert star filled sky, blackberry & roasted pine nut dutch oven or skillet cobbler with a dab of lemon creme, a pot of coffee on the fire to follow it down, a pipe bowl full of a Latakia blend to carry the smoky taste/aroma. Doesn't get much better than that. Miss those days.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
...to me the ultimate solution would be to build a reo that has a slide off side door that the chip sits in and the whole key to success to me would be making it as easy as possible to install and remove the chip. imagine if the chip just sat into a cradle and there were just 4 tiny screws to mount it and complete the contacts.. no soldering or complicated chip install. if a chip ever went bad take the cover off, remove 4 tiny screws and pop a new chip in. something like this could be designed for the dna chips for sure, I never bothered trying to do it this way because truth is the chips don't go bad often enough for me to bother, but if selling a bunch and having to support them then a modular easy to swap chip makes the most sense. hell if the chip was only 4 screws to swap out that would eliminate the bulk of the drawback in supporting a chipped reo in the first place, customers could buy a back up chip and if it ever failed they could just swap it out and deal directly with evolve for the chip warranty :)...

My 1st post was deleted %#&* Windows 10 issues...

Turbo's idea was also my thought when Rob gave me the opportunity to pick up one of his proto resins.

I completely get why Rob would not want to have to deal with warrantying a 3rd party's gear (DNA, SX###, etc.). For those of you that have had to endure my rants espousing the crappiness of reg'd gear (how's that for a backhand "triple negative"? :rolleyes:)...I'm a mech guy at heart but I do appreciate the consistency of VW chips.

But I'm not so much a fan of building them, too messy, wires everywhere, fear of the juice death...and the seemingly inevitable DNA chip/screen/both fail. How could I build a DNA that afforded maximum ease of chip replacement, a super clean install (clear mod, not much choice)...and I also thought, if I was Rob who wanted to give the people what they want (and keep his sanity)...

20150420_162330 smaller.jpg

I thought if I could use the conductors as a mounting mechanism I could mill out a hole and route the conductors in the body, everything is out of the way, clean and easily swapable.

20150420_162249 smaller.jpg

Then slap a cover over it and bob's your uncle...Rob would make it look waaaay less crappy but you get the idea

20150425_125551 smaller.jpg

...and you get this

20150425_131124 smaller.jpg

Fishcakes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
nj
My 1st post was deleted %#&* Windows 10 issues...

Turbo's idea was also my thought when Rob gave me the opportunity to pick up one of his proto resins.

I completely get why Rob would not want to have to deal with warrantying a 3rd party's gear (DNA, SX###, etc.). For those of you that have had to endure my rants espousing the crappiness of reg'd gear (how's that for a backhand "triple negative"? :rolleyes:)...I'm a mech guy at heart but I do appreciate the consistency of VW chips.

But I'm not so much a fan of building them, too messy, wires everywhere, fear of the juice death...and the seemingly inevitable DNA chip/screen/both fail. How could I build a DNA that afforded maximum ease of chip replacement, a super clean install (clear mod, not much choice)...and I also thought, if I was Rob who wanted to give the people what they want (and keep his sanity)...

View attachment 483863

I thought if I could use the conductors as a mounting mechanism I could mill out a hole and route the conductors in the body, everything is out of the way, clean and easily swapable.

View attachment 483864

Then slap a cover over it and bob's your uncle...Rob would make it look waaaay less crappy but you get the idea

View attachment 483866

...and you get this

View attachment 483871

Not for me quigs, but you did a killer job on this man. Looks bad a##:thumb:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
that looks great quigs. one thing I here against the dna40 from mech guys sometimes is that 40 watts is not enough power. personally I think it is for the most part, but then now, there's the dna200. gonna get harder and harder to argue against regulated I think :)

20150826_001924_zpsbvgye2m3.jpg

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
You may very well be right, vaping is a living endeavor and as the hardware improves, the goalposts to which they can be pushed move. I personally have found that on my mechs I've stalled out at the .3 - .5 range as far as subohm'ing (it's a taste thing), I know I'm stressing my 30's but I think there's enough ceiling on the 40's. I just think that if Rob were to one day create at least a blank that was VW chip ready, he would have to pick a chip architecture/battery paradigm...which at this point is a real dart board but at the moment, I think the 200's/multi cell Li-poly's is a little fringe to warrant the blank R&D vs. sales.

...or I could be entirely wrong (wouldn't be the first time :confused:)

p.s., of course I'll build a 200 though, all I need is a Ebony/Ebony blank from Rob...hint, hint

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Quigs, and Turbo...

You guys did one hell of job on those!! That's some serious customization and art work. Really like it. :thumbs:

Got a question. Are the DNA boards sealed and waterproof? I bring it up because I had to run in the house just last night in pouring rain, and my Reo got soaked. Water, moisture, and other weather eliments are terrible unforeseen variables to deal with. :confused:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
I think most chips would have some type of conformal coating...I know the DNA's do, the release of the 40's was held up because of it, though Turbo is the man when it comes to building a submersible DNA mod...although now that I've fully potted mine with clear poly-resin, except for the up/down buttons, I could probably sink mine as well.

Your post is exactly why I don't see myself ever leaving mechs behind (in fact most of my mods are mechs), a couple weeks ago I spent a day rafting down a river...I had my Grand in a ziplock (ya, wishful thinking), sure enough I picked it out of the river twice, after powering through vaping river water for a bit it was fine (I don't even sweat batts going for a dunk in fresh water, no big deal)...I'd be pretty concerned if it was a reg. mod, water has a habit of catching up to you days later...even after you think you've dried it out.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Glad to hear your Reo survived the river. The ziplock was a good idea to keep it dry, and to keep it afloat. I'm amazed you got a hold of it in rapid waters before it floated down the river.

I've been using this case for awhile. Bucket Boss 57500 | Tool Bags, Boxes, Cases, Pouches, & Rolls

It works good, and holds a Reo Grand really good and tight. I couldn't find a better deal for $5.70. It's easy to take off, and move around without wearing a belt. But a belt would secure it a lot more.

20150827_193504a.jpg

20150827_193610aa.jpg

20150827_193638aa.jpg

20150827_193657aa.jpg

20150827_194154aa.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So I see the Dreamer's Wish List is open again @Eric Parlin.

The Reos are my end game, I prefer them over all my other gear. But I don't 'need' anymore Reos when I have a couple of dozen that I don't even use anymore. But there is some things that would entice me to be a Reo buyer again.

Least likely to ever happen:
1. A P67 DNA 75W tops the list.
2. A mech dual series battery P67.
3. An 18490 P67.

4. Resin Reos don't really appeal to me (unless they are the only way to get #1, #2 or #3 above).

More likely to happen:
5. P67's done in some brand new exciting colors instead of the same tired old colors that have been the norm on the metal Reos for years. IOW I already have way too many basic black, grey, silver and white Reos. The glitter colors never appealed to me, nor did the bright green, orange, yellow, etc smooth finishes. My thing is baked on textured finishes and anodized smooth finishes.
..... I fully understand why Rob stayed with those colors/finishes, we had talked about it many times. In a nutshell many of the other colors he had tried didn't work for various reasons on the Reos. With the anodized he didn't have a local company that could do a good job without too many looses due to flaws. Using one source for colors, and one source for anodizing had it's limits.

I think there would be at least a small market for #1 & #2, maybe a stronger market for #3 & #4. But #5 is an option that should appeal to all potential Reo buyers that R&D for could be implemented almost immediately with very little cash outlay.

All for now FWIW.
spy2.jpg

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
One thing that just came to me, as a result of the vaping I currently do, on the mods I have that we're made by one of our other fine ECF craftsmen.
If REOs mods ever chose to produce Woodvils again; I'd suggest looking into offering a CA finish. The results can be spectacular, once the procedure is mastered, and it's a very durable finish.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Least likely to ever happen:
1. A P67 DNA 75W tops the list.
2. A mech dual series battery P67.
3. An 18490 P67.

4. Resin Reos don't really appeal to me (unless they are the only way to get #1, #2 or #3 above).

I thinking of getting a couple of dual parallel battery mech squonker's to try out while waiting to see if/what direction Eric goes in along these lines (if any at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread