Expensive mods and cheap tanks, cheap mods and expensive tanks, cheap/cheap or money is no object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
i just realized that I own about a dozen mods that cost/are worth about $100 or more but I have never spent more than about $50 on a tank and most are under $30.

What say you? Do you buy $200 O-Attys and $20 Picos, $400 squonkers and $8 Tsunami clones, all high end or are you just an all around cheap bastich?

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I find as my collection grows that my appreciation for quality vape gear also grows. But quality does not necessarily mean that it has a high price tag. I've seen some very nice looking boxes for $100, and I've seen some outright pieces of sheet for $300 and up.

And I'm starting to ramble...

Short answer? I use what works (and looks good together) regardless of price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Mix and match?

I have a bunch of DNA mods, so not cheap but not high end stabilized wood models, and I vape with RTA/RDTA only as I don't drip. As I'm not looking for a KF like experience (which is more typical for the lower power, single coil, mtl type user I used to be before getting sucked into this subohm stuff) there are a ton of quality tanks out there and like you, have never spent more than $50 for one.

I also have a bunch of less expensive Picos, a Coolfire 4 18650, and a Smok Alien that I enjoy with the same tanks (well, except for the Pico, where the tank diameter is a limiting factor). That's the great thing about the vape market at present, lots of choices at affordable, or at least not ridiculously expensive, mods and tanks. We'll see how long that lasts in the US at least with the new Federal regulations.

That's not a knock at anyone who chooses to go for a custom built mod where the cost is mostly in the finely made box. It's great if you can afford it and appreciate it. It's not a necessity to achieving a good vape. I do prefer a good looking mod, though.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Mix and match?

I have a bunch of DNA mods, so not cheap but not high end stabilized wood models, and I vape with RTA/RDTA only as I don't drip. As I'm not looking for a KF like experience (which is more typical for the lower power, single coil, mtl type user I used to be before getting sucked into this subohm stuff) there are a ton of quality tanks out there and like you, have never spent more than $50 for one.

I also have a bunch of less expensive Picos, a Coolfire 4 18650, and a Smok Alien that I enjoy with the same tanks (well, except for the Pico, where the tank diameter is a limiting factor). That's the great thing about the vape market at present, lots of choices at affordable, or at least not ridiculously expensive, mods and tanks. We'll see how long that lasts in the US at least with the new Federal regulations.

That's not a knock at anyone who chooses to go for a custom built mod where the cost is mostly in the finely made box. It's great if you can afford it and appreciate it. It's not a necessity to achieving a good vape. I do prefer a good looking mod, though.
True. I was questioning ordering a Smok G-Priv Kit (includes a TFV8 Big Baby) for $90 as I though that was expensive.

I had to slap myself... great mod with colour touch screen, a great tank with RBA and two coils... for less than a carton of smokes. Sounds like a no brainer and it definately was even a year ago. Quality gear is getting stupid cheap these days...

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I got a Smok Alien on a flash sale at Ecig, no tank which was OK as I really don't like 2 ml tanks, but did include 2 very nice LG batteries for all of $37. It's a great 2 battery mod. The G-Priv is really nice, and the Big Baby is preferable (to me) over the Baby Beast.

I've also spent way more on some Lost Vape DNA 200 mods, but found a VT 75 with a DNA 75 board on sale for only $50. I simply couldn't pass it up for that price. If it weren't for my preference for temp control I would be very happy with all my mods that were $50 or less and have little need for anything more for simply power mode. But as a real fan of temp control, I treat myself to the better performing, albeit more expensive, DNA based mods for that.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Personally, I avoid buying clones. Nothing against those who do. I just don't. I use squonkers exclusively; primarily REOs, except for one custom squonk mod.
All of my bottom feed attys are authentics. I do have a max that I will spend on an atty though, about $105-$110, but most have cost much less. I can think of a couple attys I'd love to have in my collection; but I won't pay 'flipper' prices.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I spent thousands on Provari's and SX's and Kayfuns and Squapes and .................................

Of that all only a couple SX's are left. These days I only use cheap mods that work better then anything I had before. One of my favorite tanks, the Baby Beast is 15 bucks.

I don't regret the thousands, I would have spent it on cigarettes anyway, but now days a 100 bucks will buy two great mods and tanks.

Best time to be a vaper ever is right this minute.

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
I have a pair of authentic mechs. Won't say what they are--as i damaged them due to overzealous cleaning and polishing. It would be unfair of me to slag the mods that i damaged due to my dum-dum mistakes. They never did work right tho.

Machining, craftsmanship, better lead fasteners etc--is why i will pay more money for authentic mods and attys.

Like my DiDs. Don't love them though. The Temons i love.
Love my Line LEs; for special occasions only.

I have fallen in love with my bevel-ringed Provaris. I never thought that i would like Provaris. But not only do they look lovely--i can fine-tune my genny experience to an exact ?science? Measurement? and the batteries last FOREVER.

I vape my Siam Mods Cobras--and it reminds me of my vodka drinking days--lovely flavour.

But even though i have all of these great authentic stuffs, i always come back to YOUde, lolol. Nothing tickles me more than achieving a terrific vape off of my Aga Ts and my teeny-weeny little Aga Titaniums, that i can buy for peanuts.

And no matter how much cash you shell out for an atty or a mod--there is always a learning curve. (I buy at least two of everything and spare parts)

So is there a moral? Maybe
You don't have to buy high-end to achieve a great vape, especially if you get into rbas. And if you do what i have done--which is destroy some attys and mods due to dum-dum mistakes--you won't feel so bad if you trashed a clone.

I don't skimp on batteries

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
I personally prefer authentics. Mainly because all of the clones I have had leaked or had bad insulators or were just lame quality.

I have spent a ton of money on different things. Have a mod I paid $400 for, and a number of DNA's. I spend less on tops mainly because I have been unimpressed with my most expensive rda's. I spent $70 on a petri rta but haven't built it yet. My go to topper is a Wotofo Sapor v2. Great flavor and vapor combo.

Bottom line is I am willing to spend the money for quality. But I try not to chase unicorns. If I have to be in a private group or learn a secret handshake I will pass.

I really want to buy a Charm but at $160 if I don't like it I would be so .......

Last edited:

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
This is my DD (daily driver)
Vape Syndicate Ti drip tip
Derringer clone
Time Keeper clone
IMG_20161207_195244_002.JPG

The drip tip was more than the mod and derringer ;)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I am a cheap bastich.
I will not overspend. Hype has zero value to me.
I have some authentic mods and attys and ton of clones.
About 100 bucks is the most Ill spend on any authentic mod, and most honestly arent worth that.
$50 tops for an authentic atty.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I'm all over, have no issues with paying good money for quality. I have two authentic Velocity RDA's, spent $150 for an Authentic Squape. Most expensive Mod I have is a Pilak Panther, $560 but for a 92.5% pure silver silver Mod with exquisite craftsmanship so worth it. Then there is the O-atty, $150-$200 for a Clone of the Narda? I bought an O-atty Clone just out of principle alone.

Anyway I'm all over the map in price, most all my gear is Authentic though. With the money I've spent, still less than what I used to spend on the Stinkies.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
i just realized that I own about a dozen mods that cost/are worth about $100 or more but I have never spent more than about $50 on a tank and most are under $30.

What say you? Do you buy $200 O-Attys and $20 Picos, $400 squonkers and $8 Tsunami clones, all high end or are you just an all around cheap bastich?
The prices I've paid for mods & attys has been all over the map. I vape whatever setup I'm liking the most at that time. Authentics & clones have made me quite happen.

Currently my need for new shiny stuff has fizzled. Although I did buy the Kanger Drip EZ just for the heck of it. Leaks too much for me so it's tossed somewhere until I figure out if I care enough to work out the leaking. ;)

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
when it comes to regulated mods, i have never bought a cheap version/clone of one. that is one area, i was not willing to risk something blowing up on me/etc. Have never spent more than $240 on a mod either with all mods not provaris costing under $80 at most.

i actually got rid of all my mods not provari this year except for two and currently;
my $200? provari radius has a $17 kabuki 1:1 clone tank on it.
my $50 & $70 provari classics both have a $90 kabuki tank on them.
my one old provari 2.0 has a $165 (when i bought them) discontinued kayfun mini v2.1 tank on it.
my other old provari 2.0 has a $20?? carto ibtanked on it.
my $30 provari 2.5 hybrid has the $20 discontinued Eshot phoenix RDA on it.
my beautiful old $30 highpockets hearted wooden vv mod has an $4 phoenix style clone on it.
my only clone mod not bought by me, the $20/30? nemesis mini has a $165 kayfun mini v2.1 on it.

with the exception of RDA's when they flooded the market and my regulated mods, high or low cost was not really my main focus when i chose most of what i bought. a possible decent flavored vape experience when i was having a crappy one often lead me to buy stuff i bought over the years, a lot of which i kinda of regretted buying, like the $165 Kminis that i rarely use and the tubed evics that couldn't keep up with my vaping without overheating!!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Good question!
I have weird and confuzzled purchasing habits, lol.
I range from cheapo clones to "mid-range" gear.

Decisions influenced by a variety of factors - from "how sure am I that I'll like it" to "is the primary appeal dependent on really high quality that a clone might lack?" to "is it easy to get the authentic if I AM ready?" - to drop $100+ on an atty for example...

That's part of my last point: If you sell only through Facebook, I can't buy your product.
And while that's just me...well, actually, it's NOT just me - not a HUGE number, but there are others...
There are definitely some mods I might have bought if they weren't facebook-only businesses.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I have some horribly cheap stuff I absolutely love and some more expensive stuff I absolutely regret buying...

For me what it is is that as long as it gives me the vape I like I don't care how much it costs... Doesn't matter if it's a velocity clone on a iJust 2 battery or my avocado24 on my DNA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread