Expensive mods and cheap tanks, cheap mods and expensive tanks, cheap/cheap or money is no object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I try not to knowingly buy clones, partly because I've little experience with them and therefore mistrust their quality and partly because it just dosen't seem right. Of course being gouged by the original dosen't seem right either.

Quality is important but only to a certain price point for me and I personally don't see much difference between one mod to the next. Atty's however can be significantly different from each other but they are almost all about the same price. Go figure.:2cool:

I have never been married, have no children & I'm a Salaried employee. I like fine tools, musical instruments, fine booze etc.
In vaping there is a difference & prefer hi-end..

Yes there is a difference, sometimes the clones are on par or in some rare occasions better than the original. I have found the Clones of Chinese gear to fall in that category. Most Clones of Pinoy, American, European gear mostly to be much lower quality. While there are a few exceptions this is pretty much the rule.

I prefer to support those that come up with the design, no matter how one looks at it the truth is company's who clone are stealing the design. Take a look at how a lot even fake the packaging.

That said I do own some Clones, if I like the basic design and performance I will get the authentic which in most all cases are better than the Clones. This is due to the quality of the materials and the machining.

With all that said there are times when a Clone is preferred, that example would be the O-atty. I bought the clone just out of
principle. $15-$200 for basically a Narda Clone, ridiculous.

What I also find ridiculous are those who buy a $12 Clone where the Authentic is $20

Anyway, that's my two bits worth

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Not always, FB is a good place to start for someone starting a business that doesn't have pile of capital. Granted there is a lot of junk but there are a few gems.

No it comes down to costs, in the US we have things like environmental regulations, labor laws, minimum wage, etc. China, almost none plus they have the Lao Gai where they put anyone they don't like and it's called Slave Labor.

Neither will I but I also know the the costs here in the US are significantly higher due to laws, regulations, taxes, etc. China also has significant QA issues and it's very hit and miss the quality that comes out of there.
A few things make US labor more expensive. A big one is the insanely high cost of the medical system. If that can't be fixed US labor will keep getting more expensive. In the mean time the Chinese products I buy are excellent quality, especially the vaping stuff. I work in a shop that designs and builds industrial machines, mostly for automotive. We machine, weld, build, do the electrics and controls and programing and ship the finished machines, and lines of machines, all over the world. I would far rather be building the machines than operating them. We need to buy things from them so they have money to buy things from us. Trade, it's a good thing.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Not always, FB is a good place to start for someone starting a business that doesn't have pile of capital. Granted there is a lot of junk but there are a few gems.
That's actually illegal.
Its easy to rip off customers and hide from liability.
There are legal ways to start a business with low capital. Grants, small business loans etc.
It takes money to make money.
Invest in doing things right if you want my business.

No it comes down to costs, in the US we have things like environmental regulations, labor laws, minimum wage, etc. China, almost none plus they have the Lao Gai where they put anyone they don't like and it's called Slave Labor.

My 20 years as a machine shop owner and experience with international automotive manufacturing says different.
:facepalm:
You should visit China. Maybe learn about their economy.
Its obvious you havent.
Its not a 3rd world country

Neither will I but I also know the the costs here in the US are significantly higher due to laws, regulations, taxes, etc. China also has significant QA issues and it's very hit and miss the quality that comes out of there.

What laws and regulations add 1000% to the price?
SMH.
I know exactly what it costs to build a mod.
High prices are due to greed, plain and simple.

And you can stop generalizing with your insults towards China
The IPhone is made in China.
Best qualty, high end phone on the planet and they make thousands of them.

You seem to really dislike the Chinese.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    That's actually illegal.
    Its easy to rip off customers and hide from liability.
    There are legal ways to start a business with low capital. Grants, small business loans etc.
    It takes money to make money.
    Invest in doing things right if you want my business.

My 20 years as a machine shop owner and experience with international automotive manufacturing says different.
    :facepalm:
    You should visit China. Maybe learn about their economy.
    Its obvious you havent.
    Its not a 3rd world country

What laws and regulations add 1000% to the price?
    SMH.
    I know exactly what it costs to build a mod.
    High prices are due to greed, plain and simple.

And you can stop generalizing with your insults towards China
    The IPhone is made in China.
    Best qualty, high end phone on the planet and they make thousands of them.

You seem to really dislike the Chinese.

Are you trying to make me run out of people/places to bash?!? ROFL :lol:

Reactions: MMW

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada

With all that said there are times when a Clone is preferred, that example would be the O-atty. I bought the clone just out of
    principle. $15-$200 for basically a Narda Clone, ridiculous.

What I also find ridiculous are those who buy a $12 Clone where the Authentic is $20.

I'm with you completely on that. The O-Atty is $200 and the BF pin alone is $30. Sorry.. that to me is laughable and I'm unsure if you can even buy one right now. NarDA clones for me, thanks.

Also, I DID buy a $10 Tsunami clone which wasnt too smart considering an authentic is $25 (I bought 2 authentics and shelved the clone for parts).

To each their own.

This wasn't to be an ethical conversation about authentics vs. clones in any case....

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Are you trying to make me run out of people/places to bash?!? ROFL :lol:

Its crazy how you guys support people selling $200 mods that havent bothered to get a biz lisc, no contact phone, no legal biz address and dont pay taxes.
    Just give them your CC number or paypal them some cash. Lmao.
    :)
    Preorder. Lol.

To each their own.
    I will never be that insanely irresponsible with my money. I worked too hard for it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I didn't say one thing about quality of clones, it's you guys that seek out people that buy authentics and bash them, I just don't get it. All I said was that I personally try to buy authentic and quality stuff, like like others here had posted that their preference is to buy less expensive gear. Why do you have to come back and dog my personal way of doing things? This is not a thread on clones, it's just how you choose to buy your gear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You're missing the point!
    It has nothing to do with clones or authentic.
    The point is that it never fails to get a rise out of purists. Which is just internet fun.

Little story:
    Had a customer drop of his 308 Ferrari for some work. (absolutely the worse model Ferrari ever manufactured) Well, the "Breadvan" was still in the shop at the time. I laughed for a week over how this 308 owner turned his nose up saying "that's not a Ferrari" about a "modified" SWB that was known as the GTO killer. (the Breadvan was worth about 4 million at the time ... the 308, about 4 thousand)
    Picture007-2.jpg

Last edited:

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    But it shows you know next to nothing about China and about cost of manufacturing in US.

I can expect 100% difference in price of manufacturing. I can expect 150% price difference as a premium for innovation. But 1000%? I refuse to pay to those who sell at collector's prices. I am a user, not a collector. I would never buy authentic, if it is not Chinese authentic (very nicely priced, difference between authentic and clone about $5).

Last edited:
    Reactions: RainSong

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    1. I didnt bash anyone.
    2. This is a discussion forum.
    View attachment 620195

3. I have lots of authentic mods and attys. Clones too.
    We all want quality.

Most of us dont buy authentics expecting higher quality. Its about owning an authentic piece from the original modder.
    I just find it strange that when someone makes a post saying they only buy cheap stuff or clones, you dont get people that do the opposite, reply to said post with a song and dance, saying things against and sticking up and defending the more expensive stuff. But as soon someone makes a post saying they don't like clones or cheaper stuff, you all come out of the wood work replying to said post and gang up. Anyways my point is valid and true, let's just shake and get on[emoji3]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I don't know - I thought this was an excellent exercise in thought by @BreSha6869 . Simple yet quite interesting (me).

What I don't understand is all the judgment passing that took hold. Who cares? Does anyone really care what I do? Because, I've got to be honest, I couldn't give a (X) what any of y'all do with your money. If what I do with mine concerns anyone, well...(sigh) - go on and have fun with that. :blink:

So, interesting thought, no? Expensive mods & cheap atties (and/or vice-versa)? :thumbs:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread