Experience with Capsicum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamsbbq

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Tacoma,WA
I make habanero and Scotch bonnet hot sauce, just the vapor before I start to cook it is enough to start a coughing fit. Me personally I will stick to eating my peppers. Lol

Hell I have a bottle of pure capsa and not a snowballs chance will a drop go into my liquids. I know what a drop does to a sauce. Lol

custom signature goes here___________________ :)

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
By the way Flavors West Sells Capsicum.
I bought mine from High Desert Ecigs and it is great.

Pure heat, doesn't change the flavors just adds Heat.
I've added it to Ginger, Red Hots Cinnamon and finally to Praline Hazelnut.

So far it's been great in everything I've added it to.
I'll repeat, doesn't change the flavor just adds heat.

byronchurch

Verified Member
Oct 25, 2010
Redondo Beach, California
Flavors West hmm have to go check ..just heat? .. But our taste buds are 'in the head, so.. I can imagine .some. "Moctezuma's Secret". ( Cacao seed powder, hot Aji Red Limo chilies, Damiana, Kola, Chamomile, oRed Clover, and Spearmint. )
or more like some snicker-doodle smores and tabasco ! I would approach anything close to pepper smoke or pepper gas with chicken hits! I recall back in the 70's me and the wife laid down for a snuggle after a nice mexican lunch I'll keep it clean but I was right between a religious experience and heart attack when it dawned on me It's the Chillies!!!!!

morepyro

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
Mooresville, NC
I've tried making juice with Decadent Vapours Diablo Loco flavoring, which is made from Ghost Peppers (world's hottest). The object of the experiment was to improve throat hit, and it did, but not in the way I was hoping.

A nicotine TH comes on quickly and fades quickly. The Diablo TH has a slower onset and a sensation of heat, and it lingers for a bit. If you chain vape, it becomes a steady burn. Exhaling through the nose provides an interesting sensation which reminds me of horseradish.

Some people should like this. I would advise starting with a low concentration and working up from there. If you use the Diablo flavoring, pre-diluting it to about 10% strength with Pg or VG will make it easier to control.

I don't think there are any more health issues with chili-derived flavorings than other organic extracts.

I also tried the DV Diablo Loco flavoring. I ended up diluting it to 10% strength with PGA, and added it to my liquid at 1 drop/ml. Higher concentrations made me cough almost immediately. At 10%, the throat hit increase I was looking for was there, with some heat to boot. Just what I was looking for. What I wasn't looking for was a stabbing chest pain that came after I had been using it for a few hours. I stopped using the liquid and the pain went away. Tried it again a week later and the chest pain came back. Stopped again, pain stopped. You get the idea.

A far cry from scientific proof of anything, just my personal experience. It may affect some people more than others (like PG vs VG) or not at all.

I also found that the capsicum lingered in my atty for quite some time, and would show up whenever it was starting to run dry. Add a few drops and the TH went away. Atty gets dry, and the TH is back. Took about 5 ml to "wash" it out.

I just got the flavor west capsicum heat. I don't think it has throat hit on its own, but the heat sensation seems to make the nic hit harder. I have found I get that done feeling much sooner like I do at high nic levels like 16mg+ except I'm Vaping 11mg. So I'm thinking I want to lower the nic some more. It does not seem to impact the taste of the liquid. Also... I'm feeling the exhale with a bit more kick, more, the more I vape it. I found similar with cinnamon. I'm really looking for the feeling on the exhale, cause that's what I've been missing from smoking.

As far as amounts... two drops in 15ml was a bit much and I ended up adding 3ml vg/water base which cut nic and the capsicum. It was a bit harsh and roughing up my throat before, but its about right now. I think I'd mix at a a drop to 10 ml, or .5%

To be honest I'm was hoping for a bit more of a warmer sensation, maybe I'll try a larger amount with much less nic. Blu cigs give off a nice warm vapor, my eRoll seems to allow the vapor to cool a bit before it reaches mouth. It's little differences like that that can make a vape go from good to great imho.

Final thought.. so far seems worth having in the mix kit.. just need to learn how to get best use of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forgot to mention.. this is all with no steeping... dunno how steeping impacts it... maybe it's like chili where it gets hotter when it sits in the fridge... I'll touch base again in a few days to a week to share my experience. I'm definitely gonna toy with this stuff a bit more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
I'm new to vaping (less than 3 weeks) and haven't begun making juice yet. But I have been studying and working with herbs for 40 years or so and one of the very first things that occurred to me, when I became aware that there's a world beyond free-trial cigalike ripoffs, was using various herbs along with varietal tobacco leaf to create natural, even organic e-juice. It just reflects my personal bias.

I have a short list of herbs that I want to experiment with, and hot peppers is there on the list. Not as a stand-alone, but as a minor ingredient. I even considered wasabi (but, I think not...)!

The chemical in peppers that gives them their heat is capsaicin. Bell peppers don't have any. Jalapeños have a little - habaneros are getting up there. The thing is, some peppers have wonderful subtle flavors beneath the heat. Habaneros have a fabulous fruity flavor that is unfortunately nearly obliterated by a blast of fire. One of my favorite peppers is the slightly-hot mirasol. Cayenne is the one I want to try first. (Please, please, nobody say "chipotle!") I think there's a lot of potential for this flavoring, but I'm also not much in favor of vaping Tobasco sauce. Maybe someone should say, "Kids, don't try this at home!"

Hmmm...what do you call someone who blends e-juice? We have tobacconists, perfumers, herbalists, and I call my local guy my vaporista. No matter if someone is using natural or synthetic flavors, it has to be an art. It should have a name that gives it dignity.

Last edited:

Dave L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Modesto, CA, USA
I like vaporista, vaporist... vapistry being the art of... vapologist? If you go to school for it or have a chemistry background.. lol. They are calling the good bar tenders mixologists these days.. similar practice.. getting the flavors, aroma, texture all working harmoniously.

THAT'S what I'm talking about! Maybe not vapsitry, though...sounds too much like:

vap·id
/ˈvapid/
Adjective
Offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging: "tuneful but vapid musical comedies".
Synonyms
insipid - flat - tasteless - dull

Well my experience with the capsicum heat isn't as great as I would have hoped, but it is useful. Anything over a drop per 10ml does indeed create an actual uncomfortable burning rough feeling on the exhale. That being said... I think at smaller levels, it can contribute to the feeling on the exhale which I've only come close to achieving with a bit of cinnamon flavor. I have a combo of the two right now, 3 drops cinnamon and one drop capsicum heat in a 15ml batch of mostly dark vapure at 5% and a few other notes to get around 10% flavor. The cinnamon is detectable, but barely noticeable among the rest of the flavors. The exhale feels much heavier, not a burn.. just a heaviness to it.. it's quite pleasant, and I'll be on the lookout for other things to contribute to the exhale a bit more. For now this will probably be in all my mixes.

Am I the only person that doesn't like to vape in the dark, cause I can't see my cloud come out? .. this is why I need the sensation on the exhale.. lol

Also.. I think capsicum heat may also contribute to the nic hit on the inhale slightly, simply because it makes your throat feel warmer and warmer vapor hits harder. I wouldn't be leaving the nic out in it's favor, but maybe dropping an mg or two off at most. It really doesn't impact the inhale much, or the in mouth feel.. the warmth is not drastic, I'm sure at high enough levels for it to be, you'd feel like you were exhaling bloody gravel...

Also... no impact on taste that I can detect.. so it has that advantage over the cinnamon.. (but I like cinnamon...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread