Exploding eGo-T battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

siap

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2009
KY, USA
My eGo-T that I got from mypvshop.com came with a warning NOT to charge it on the USB. It had the wall adapter and said to use it only. Although, their warning warned against damage to the computer, not the charger (or your face). I followed their advice and only charged on the wall. Maybe the auto-shutoff doesn't shut off when it's on the USB?

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
What happened to me the other day was I was using an older 650mah battery and doing a dry burn of an ego mega atomizer type B with filler cartridge . I used short bursts to get the coil to glow red but when I let go of the button on the battery the battery did not shut off . The coil got red alright and keep going . I had to unscrew the atomizer but It was too late it was fried . I tested it on my provari and it read .8 ohms . I attached another cartomizer to the battery and it started sizzling right away the battery was stuck on . I put a mad vapes preassembled volt meter on it . Usually those don't work on an ego battery because they are PWM but this time it did . It showed the voltage for about 2 seconds then shut off for a second then showed the voltage again . It kept doing that . I screwed the cartomier on took a puff then unscrewed it then repeated that to try and wear down the battery . Finally after a while the battery just quit working .

I'm more curious about how long his Ego battery was left charging in the USB port. Was it in the charger even after it turned green?

My colleague said he left his ego-t battery on the charger for one hour and he said he had never felt it hot before when it was charging. The battery was also about a month old.

Last edited:

Dubs58

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Texas
Same thing as Bdbodger (Post #63) here but it happened on my Kgo 1100mah. Yesterday after it was charged I put on a Boge2.0 carto. Id been smoking on it for about an hr when I noticed right after I took a hit the carto was still popping so I tapped the button again which didnt do anything, so I unscrewed the carto and screwed in back on and listened..same thing, still popping, still energized! I repeated this a few times but started to freak. I quickly rocked the case "halves" back n forth till it seperated the switch from the battery and cut the black wire. Nothing was hot, just warm to the touch but it does have a very burnt smell now. I think the circuit board may be the culprit (since the switch is on there), and the battery is still reading 4.02V with a meter. Ok, so today I put the black wire I cut back together and the light flashes crazy, meter shows crazy readings too (.02-2.2V) I guess these circuit boards dont last very long.
Btw, I always used the chargers that come with them, plugged in the wall and not into the computer.
Sorry about your scare robinsegg, as that could have easily turned into a major mess. I think I will start charging mine in the bathroom (near a water source) from now on.

glad you are OK, scary stuff.

was this ego battery being charged using a 510 USB charger, or a 510-t USB charger?
and, have you used this USB charger before with an ego battery?

you probably know this already! but dormouse pointed out that 510 USB chargers are OK for ego batteries, but 510-t USB chargers are not OK with ego batteries or normal 510 batteries.

i fried an ego batt using a 510-t charger, it was scary but not like your experience. my battery just got very hot and the power switch melted. it smelt horrible.

i think you'll be much happier when you find out what caused it, it put me off using these things until i found that out. so i hope you get a good answer to what caused it soon.

edit - i hope this never happens with passthrough batteries, i don't even want to think about that.

Last edited:

Vlynn

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Indiana
Same as posts #63 and #66 here! I've had this happen to 3 -1100mah Ego Batts, I came here to try to figure out why, and I see I'm not the only one frying them...anyone have any ideas? Hubby has to share one of his with me until I can order another one n he's not thrilled lol :eek:)

Robinsegg Thank goodness you were ok that had to have been terrifying... I guess i'm glad that mine are only frying and not exploding? :eek:)

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Well, I guess the days of me charging my batteries overnight while sleeping are over!!!! WOW glad you are ok and thanks for posting!!!!

I'm thinking quality control is at play here.
Cell phones and lap tops seem to have a higher standard of QC.
I take my chances on brand name chargers and prefer safe chemistry batts.
Can reduce risks by charging in a nonflammable container.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
The cheap lipo bags should work with these small cells but I wouldn't trust them with several cells in them at a time.

Lipo Battery Fire Containment Test - YouTube

I fly rc model planes and I have seen the cheap bags burn. I have a few of these for my lipo packs LipoSack.com I have lipo's as large as 6 cells paralleled 5000 mah. When one of these goes thermal it makes the little cells look like a little black cat firecracker. These packs are 25 volts and I charge 4 in parallel(24 cells total) at 35 amps so if things go wrong I wouldn't even have a chance to save my house. It would burn down so I only charge them outside. The small cells in our pv are relatively safe compared to my hobby packs. Luckily our chargers don't fail often otherwise they would ban these lithium based batteries.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Funny I cam across this thread. I know it hasn't been posted to in about 10 days or so, but I have some concerns:

1. What is the best way to extinguish an ego battery if it does go up? I would think water interacting with the lithium would be a bad thing. What kind of fire extinquisher should one use?

2. I just ordered some Riva ego 1100mah usb pass through batteries from china. Are the Riva knock offs safe?

3. I have two brand new ego-t (real joye) batteries. I think the switch on them has gotten stuck on them, but wasn't sure until now. I though that maybe i was imagining it since they stay lit for a second when you let them go, but now i am not so sure. In a case where this happens, am I breaking the circuit sufficiently by removing the atty if that happens, or could the battery continue to cook off?

4. Has anyone heard of an ego battery exploading while in use or just while charging?

Thanks,
Frazz

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
Funny I cam across this thread. I know it hasn't been posted to in about 10 days or so, but I have some concerns:

1. What is the best way to extinguish an ego battery if it does go up? I would think water interacting with the lithium would be a bad thing. What kind of fire extinquisher should one use?

2. I just ordered some Riva ego 1100mah usb pass through batteries from china. Are the Riva knock offs safe?

3. I have two brand new ego-t (real joye) batteries. I think the switch on them has gotten stuck on them, but wasn't sure until now. I though that maybe i was imagining it since they stay lit for a second when you let them go, but now i am not so sure. In a case where this happens, am I breaking the circuit sufficiently by removing the atty if that happens, or could the battery continue to cook off?

4. Has anyone heard of an ego battery exploading while in use or just while charging?

Thanks,
Frazz

Only thing I know of is sand. We tried a couple different fire extinguishers and they didn't even phase it. If no sand let the battery burn itself out then use the water or extinguisher to put out what the battery caught on fire. Be careful of the fumes lithium battery fires put out some nasty poisons.

The only way for a lithium battery to catch on fire is thermal runaway. You need to overcharge or short it for this to happen.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
Only thing I know of is sand. We tried a couple different fire extinguishers and they didn't even phase it. If no sand let the battery burn itself out then use the water or extinguisher to put out what the battery caught on fire. Be careful of the fumes lithium battery fires put out some nasty poisons.

The only way for a lithium battery to catch on fire is thermal runaway. You need to overcharge or short it for this to happen.

Speaking of this the new ego-T battery I just got shorted out on the first try . It would not shut off I had to unscrew the atomizer . I let it go hoping the light on the on button would wear it down but it stopped . Now if I use the button it flashes a few times , the button stays on for a time then goes out . I got an rma number to send it back but am a bit worried about it going nuclear in transit .

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I noticed the button light delay when I went to Joye, tried my old Riva and it's the same- I believe I didn't notice it all the time I was using Riv'as was because the light's a bit dimmer.

I'm very happy w/ the overall quality of my Joye eGoT and passthru, especially the button quality. And it didn't take long until I got used to the huge .3 voltage difference, lol.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread