Exploding Lithium Battery @ 28,500 FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
And just yesterday people we suggesting using a torch to shrink the wrap when rewrapping cells...how long did the AA battery take to ignite? 6 seconds? I think I'll stick with the hairdryer!

I was reading that thread too, shaking my head and rolling my eyes now waiting for the "we interrupt for breaking news" so they can exploit another stupid dufus doing something they shouldn't have been doing in the first place. Those pocket or purse batt venting still pop up in FB posts once in while...guess you can't ever fix stupid, not even with education.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Educational in what not to do when demonstrating. A lot of bare skin and the face shield will not stop a projectile. I saw a video of some guys who used a home made blast chamber to demonstrate when batteries explode but they were NO Where near the area only cameras.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
And just yesterday people we suggesting using a torch to shrink the wrap when rewrapping cells...how long did the AA battery take to ignite? 6 seconds? I think I'll stick with the hairdryer!

yeah, but difference is, lots of movement and the goal is to get the wrap to shrink and NOT to heat the battery at all.

If anything, using a blow-dryer generates a lot of unfocused heat (a heat gun even worse), which will heat the battery (overall) after a while (takes a good 10-20+ seconds of exposure for the wrap to start shrinking), as opposed to a second or two with a concentrated heat source which done right, the battery never gets hot at all.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Educational in what not to do when demonstrating. A lot of bare skin and the face shield will not stop a projectile. I saw a video of some guys who used a home made blast chamber to demonstrate when batteries explode but they were NO Where near the area only cameras.
I was surprised to see the camera had absolutely no protection in front of it's lens, but when I saw the guy just holding a blowtorch in his hands while doing this... they got lucky.

Reactions: SteveS45

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
yeah, but difference is, lots of movement and the goal is to get the wrap to shrink and NOT to heat the battery at all.

If anything, using a blow-dryer generates a lot of unfocused heat (a heat gun even worse), which will heat the battery (overall) after a while (takes a good 10-20+ seconds of exposure for the wrap to start shrinking), as opposed to a second or two with a concentrated heat source which done right, the battery never gets hot at all.

6 seconds is all it took from the moment the heat started to battery gone. Im betting the reaction started inside the battery sooner than that.

When I use a hairdryer the battery doesn't get hot at all. I control the direction of the heat and it doesn't take more than 10 seconds total.

An open flame near a battery is a bad idea and I stand by that statement all day every day.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I was surprised to see the camera had absolutely no protection in front of it's lens, but when I saw the guy just holding a blowtorch in his hands while doing this... they got lucky.

Yeah I guess you might notice the camera had NO Protection but I am still shaking my head because he was wearing what looked like welding gloves with a short sleeve shirt on!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I was thinking the Same Thing.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread