Explosions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Not using it over a camp fire?

I've yet to hear any stories of isticks exploding.
there were a few problems with the first run of the istick 50 watt but I've not seen ANY problems with the 30's

edited to add: the 20's don't control the power correctly but I haven't read about any other problems with them.

Reactions: Tortus

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
there were a few problems with the first run of the istick 50 watt but I've not seen ANY problems with the 30's

edited to add: the 20's don't control the power correctly but I haven't read about any other problems with them.
I've had the 20w, 30w, and 40. No problems with any of them except for one of the 30s that stopped reading coils.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
It got to a stage where recommending them to new users became problematic.

It used to be the case that something like say an MVP with a tank were the recommended items. But those were getting old and the iStick were a great option instead for those wishing to stop smoking.

But there IS a problem with certain iStick models that means they cannot be generally recommended*. If you regard the thread title and the links i posted you might see why.

T

* they require a certain diligence and user knowledge that cannot be supposed.

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
It got to a stage where recommending them to new users became problematic.

It used to be the case that something like say an MVP with a tank were the recommended items. But those were getting old and the iStick were a great option instead for those wishing to stop smoking.

But there IS a problem with certain iStick models that means they cannot be generally recommended*. If you regard the thread title and the links i posted you might see why.

T

* they require a certain diligence and user knowledge that cannot be supposed.

If there's a serious problem with that specific model then it should be recalled. But saying cheap = explosions (which you implied in 2 or your latest posts) sounds a little extreme. The guy wasn't talking about the 50w anyway.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
oh, well that's ok then.

cheaper explosions.

T
Naah I got cheaper. Ehpro Manhattan mech mod clone 3.88 new and in the box. Good mech mod though. Solid brass, nice threading and a top center pin in it. No hybrid topcaps for me.
Vaping a Lemo2 with a 1.5 28 ga coil in it right now with an HG2 battery. Nice.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
If there's a serious problem with that specific model then it should be recalled. But saying cheap = explosions (which you implied in 2 or your latest posts) sounds a little extreme. The guy wasn't talking about the 50w anyway.

The OP was talking about 30W devices. But in any case, has there ever been a recall of such devices?

And cheap does equal explosions.

T

Reactions: ENAUD

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
The OP was talking about 30W devices. But in any case, has there ever been a recall of such devices?

And cheap does equal explosions.

T
There have been a few half arsed recalls on mods. Currently no recalls and no certifications are required since the CPSC does not cover mods.
I will get flak over this but I think that mods should be covered under CPSC rules.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
There have been a few half arsed recalls on mods. Currently no recalls and no certifications are required since the CPSC does not cover mods.
I will get flak over this but I think that mods should be covered under CPSC rules.

Indeed.

I'm sure it would be inconsiderate of me to suggest that consumers deserve more.

T

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I really don't think this is about laziness. Frankly, it's what's known as Murphy's law - "if it can happen, it will happen", and there's many reasons why someone might push a device harder than they should beyond simple laziness or ignorance. I wouldn't call it "idiocy" either - we as humans have all kinds of mental biases which lead us to do silly things, even very clever people. So, this raises a question about the ethics of selling mechs, especially now that regulated electronics are affordable and capable of exceeding mechs in performance terms.

Note: I'm NOT asking that mechs be banned. I'm saying: is it ethical for a seller to carry them knowing that under certain conditions they can be very dangerous?

Manufacturers of consumer electronics are constantly trying to build in protections as far as it is possible to do so. It's hard, nay impossible, to do this on pure mech's, so it's entirely down to the user as to whether they take the requisite precautions (vape-safe, anyone?).

I've noted some vapeshops insisting that customers sign a disclaimer when purchasing mechs, or any device which can be dangerous under certain operating conditions. I've no idea whether these disclaimers actually stand up legally, but I'm pretty sure that this is the minimum for responsible selling: Make sure your customer knows what they've bought!

I just think we're hearing about accidents, venting batteries, and explosions more these days, because new vapers are starting out at a higher level than most of us who have been around a while. Most of us who have been vaping for a few years, started out with cig alikes, eGos, maybe a Provari, cartomizers, CE2s, CE4s, etc. Along the way, we gradually learned about things like resistance, airflow, etc. For me, I'd been vaping quite a while, before attempting to build a coil, at which point I jumped on the genisis bandwagon. But even then, 1.2 or so was considered 'low resistance'. I remember the first time I was at a vape meet, and a friend of mine, another genisis builder, was using a .9 ohm coil, and I didn't want to be anywhere near him. I was sure he was going to blow his head off. He didn't, and eventually, I too began to gradually build lower.
Today, brand new vapers are starting out with sub ohm coils, high wattage devices, mechanical mods, rewrapped, mislabeled batteries (there are no 40 amp batteries, and very few honest 30 amp), without taking the time to learn about stuff like Ohm's Law.

Reactions: mattiem

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
An educated vaping community is/would be a fabulous result, but it is a long way from a reality.

Knowledge of Ohms law is one thing, but hardly helpful if the cheapest devices people gleefully purchase are unsafe to begin with.

Sub Ohm coils and the rest is irrelevant, because once upon a time you'd use a 1.5Ω coil and stack batteries to power them. The safety issue remains - but the battery chemistry has altered from Ni-Cad to IMR etc.

I read the other day that there are something like 9 million vapers in the US. That there are so few accidents is rather an achievement.

T

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Flashlights are covered.

And statistically speaking they are more problematic than mechanical mods.

The problems with e cigs are more
Related to user error than design flaws.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
True user errors cause most ecig safety issues. But we as consumers should be assured safer (in some cases) vaping equipment.
Just as with virtually all of our other retail consumer purchases. Why should vape equipment be exempt? And in the case of problems be covered by recalls and such like with most other products.
All vaping equipment should also come with proper manuals with clear safety warnings and recommended battery to use, etc.

Tortus

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2015
True user errors cause most ecig safety issues. But we as consumers should be assured safer (in some cases) vaping equipment.
Just as with virtually all of our other retail consumer purchases. Why should vape equipment be exempt? And in the case of problems be covered by recalls and such like with most other products.
All vaping equipment should also come with proper manuals with clear safety warnings and recommended battery to use, etc.
I agree with the need for more safety warnings. Even the cheaper mods I've used at least have safety features that don't allow them to fire if the ohms are out of spec, which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread