Extreme dry hit - every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

etretoile

Apr 7, 2016
Good day

I just recently bought my first e cigarette, a vaporesso target 75 vtc. I keep getting an extreme dry hit (as in EXTREME) every time I use it for the first 5 minutes. I've tried saturating the coil (cCell ceramic) by just sucking without firing, but it would seem that it only gets better after firing/sucking for about 5 minutes (every time!). I think I'm doing something wrong :-/ The coil is still new (3 days) and once the dry hits are over, it's really nice, so it can't be the coil itself (in my opinion). The result is that I tend to smoke cigarettes when I get annoyed with the dry hit... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
S

Reactions: Kaezziel

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Good day

I just recently bought my first e cigarette, a vaporesso target 75 vtc. I keep getting an extreme dry hit (as in EXTREME) every time I use it for the first 5 minutes. I've tried saturating the coil (cCell ceramic) by just sucking without firing, but it would seem that it only gets better after firing/sucking for about 5 minutes (every time!). I think I'm doing something wrong :-/ The coil is still new (3 days) and once the dry hits are over, it's really nice, so it can't be the coil itself (in my opinion). The result is that I tend to smoke cigarettes when I get annoyed with the dry hit... Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
S

Good morning, @etretoile!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with the cCells. I have the same mod/tank and have been using it every day since January. I'm pretty sure that I can help you figure out what's going wrong, but I need to ask you a few questions. What wattage are you running them at? What is the PG/VG ratio of your juice? Which coil are you using Ni200 (blue) or Kanthal (red)?

Last edited:

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I use these coils, I was also getting some dry hits. Here is what worked for me, I push the fire button and wait until I hear the sizzle sound, about one second, then I take a slow draw. For some reason this works for me.

Hmmm... seems like that would cause a dry hit to me. Firing it without drawing lets the coil get hotter in the beginning because there is no airflow to cool it.

One of the tricks that I use is, whenever I fill the tank, I also put a few drops into each of the little hex shaped holes. Sometimes I'll put a single, small drop onto the ceramic in the center of the coil head.

Other than that, the only times I've ever gotten dry hits is not realizing that the tank is empty, or I was running the wattage too high.

On a fresh coil, I start at around 20-25W and keep it there for the first tank or two. After that, I'll bump it up by 2.5W at a time until I'm getting the best vape out of it. Max is around 35W, but a lot of times 35W can be too much unless the coil is a week or two old.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Good day

Thanks in advance!
S

vaporesso target 75 vtc

vtc: that tells me its a variable temperature control mod.
ccell ceramic coil: that's a very new type of coil.

check out youtube for that setup.

as a general rule, you can start low on the settings on your mod and move up slowly.

you need to lock the resistance for the coil (that calibrates the mod so that it can measure the temperature correctly); once the resistance is locked, the mod will be able to avoid dry hits.

or maybe you are using the mod in power mode

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
vaporesso target 75 vtc

vtc: that tells me its a variable temperature control mod.
ccell ceramic coil: that's a very new type of coil.

check out youtube for that setup.

as a general rule, you can start low on the settings on your mod and move up slowly.

you need to lock the resistance for the coil (that calibrates the mod so that it can measure the temperature correctly); once the resistance is locked, the mod will be able to avoid dry hits.

or maybe you are using the mod in power mode

That reminds me of the other question I should have asked... I'll edit my earlier post. If he's using the Ni200 coil, yes... he'll need to lock the resistance. Now I need to play with my mod to see how to do that... I don't like the Ni200 coils at all, so I just stick to the kanthal cCells.

etretoile

Apr 7, 2016
Thanks so much everyone, I really appeciate the advice.

I've looked at the e-liquids now but can't find the ration, the bottles just say they contain both PG and VG. I don't think that in itself is a problem, as it works really well once the dry hits have had a go at me.

From everything I've read online/seen on youtube, I kinda get the idea that this mod doesn't really have the spit back (?) problem, but mine does - when I fire before sucking, I can actually see small drops popping out with a smoke trail following it - haven't really burnt my mouth though.

I've only been using the red coil that came in the mod itself.

It also gets very very hot (the upper part of the mod, just below the tank), but I suppose that's the way it's supposed to be?

Lastly, I try all wattage settings from 10 - 29 watts, 20 is good though (once it's working).

Thanks again!

S

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Update - I changed the coil and it's A LOT Better - think the other one was just a dud maybe! Thanks for all the input though!

Sorry, just finding my way back around to check in on you. I'm very happy to hear that everything is working well now! Yes, it does sound like you ran into a bad coil... I've gone through about 6 coils since January and only ran into 1 bad one so far... it wasn't completely bad, but it wasn't quite as good as the others. I hope that you don't run into any more problem with your setup, etretoile, the cCells have been pretty reliable for me, so I expect you'll have many weeks of happy vaping ahead of you! :)

Wili Joe

May 25, 2016
These new Vaporesso ccell coils comes in nickel (Ni200) 0.2ohm, stainless steel (SS316) 0.5 and 0.6ohm for temperature control, and kanthal 0.9ohm for wattage mode.

They are more for a medium to advance user because you need to fine tune in temp control with your ejuice (max vg, 50/50 pg/vg, etc) until you find that sweet spot where vapor production, vapor temp, and no spitting meet to a new level of vaporization.

With my personal experience I also got dry hits in temp control. But after the first dry hit I realize my mod was in titanium instead of stainless steel. After setting my mod to SS, I lock the coil and voilà! I use 420 degrees F and a max vg ejuice, and a Vaporesso Gemini sub ohm tank.

Happy Vaping,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread