fairly new vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ79

Aug 3, 2015
upstate NY
I am new to this forum and would like to say hi. I have been vaping for a few months on a evod with the emow tank. It has been enough to help me all but kick my 20+ year addiction to stinky sticks. I do still fall off the wagon from time to time but falling in love with vaping a little more every day. I am looking for any suggestions or information that a new vaper may need as he/she moves forward into the vaping world. VAPE ON

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome to the board. We'll all be happy to help you move forward, but we really need a little more direction. Where do you want to go? More power, biger vapor, more flavor, what? An Evod is pretty low power. There are a lot of good choices with a bit more kick.

ColbeWan

Dec 21, 2014
usa
While we all have to start somewhere, depending on your nic level. you might want to bump it up a little bit, i started on 24mg to get me off of a pack and a half a day of american spirits.. as far as your set up, if you know what you like and dislike about it, that bit of info would be helpful for us to point you in the right direction. hope this helps..

Russ79

Aug 3, 2015
upstate NY
I am on a 18mg juice now. I vape all day and find myself running out of power on the 1600mah evodd. I am looking into stepping up to a box mod but nit sure what direction to go. I am no longer mouth hitting. So I know I need something with good air flow and a long battery life. I also know that the idea of building my coils is a bit to much for me at this time. Battery power is a must though. I am not always near a charger and I don't like loosing power half way through my day.

Reactions: johnkong

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am on a 18mg juice now. I vape all day and find myself running out of power on the 1600mah evodd. I am looking into stepping up to a box mod but nit sure what direction to go. I am no longer mouth hitting. So I know I need something with good air flow and a long battery life. I also know that the idea of building my coils is a bit to much for me at this time. Battery power is a must though. I am not always near a charger and I don't like loosing power half way through my day.

look for the Aspire Subo kit
and the Kanger Subox kit.

Reactions: Russ79

Russ79

Aug 3, 2015
upstate NY
Well as far as juice I foolishly tried a 80vg 20pg juice in the tank I currently have. I soon after learned that the coil can not handle the thickness of that juice. So for now I am back to 50/50 till I find a better tank. As far as flavors I don't do any tobacco flavors anymore. I found a chocolate I like but it seems to burn in my tank after a day or so. As I said I am very new to the world of vaping and going through a lot of trial and error as I realize there is so much more than what I experienced over my first few months.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you are now direct lung hitting, let me suggest subohm. At the low end the iStick 30 might get you through, but I think I'd look at the iStick 50. It's a bit bigger, but it had a larger battery and should last longer at the same power. Paired with the Kanger Subtank with .5 Ohm coils, you should get big vapor and a stronger hit. The iStick 30 will be at it's max using that tank, it really shines between 25-35 watts with that coil. The iStick 50 will have a bit more power in reserve. An alternative to these the Innokin iTazte MVP 3.0 (30 watts) or the 3.0 Pro (60 watts) are a few dollars more but I think of btter quality. They also pair well with the Subtank. An alternative to the Subtank would be the Innokin iSub G. The Kanger, however, is more versitile, having +ohm, and subohm coils available, as well as a rebuildable deck in case you feel like trying your hand at building. The iSub G only has .5 Ohm coils. Another solid option would be the Kanger Subox mod, which comes paired with the Subtank in a starter kit. I suggest this one because it is a replaceable battery mod, and you can carry spare batteries to extend you battery life. That's what I do. However, this does mean you'll have to buy batteries and a charger; these are separate purchases. The Subox is a 50 watt machine.

EDIT: If you decide to go Subohm, don't be surprised if you want to cut your nic down a bit, and have some higher VG juice. Subohm is pretty powerful, and you'll be getting a lot more vapor per hit.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    You sound like I used to be when transitioning .... Anyway, glad to have you aboard and participating ..... So, you sound like you are transitioning into becoming a lung hitter. Same here..... I started puffing by mouth to lung hits but found myself starting to do direct lung hits. Of course, I needed more powerful gear and so will you ..... There are just so many choices available now days that it is getting more difficult for each one of us to select a new piece of gear when we decide we want one....

I understand your desire to get something with a battery that will not go dead on you half way through the day........ Personally, I like mods that are designed so that you can place batteries into them. That way all as a person has to do is carry a spare battery or two around with them and simply stick a fresh one into the mod when it starts getting low........ Of course, you may be one of those people who do not like to carry spare batteries around........... If that's the case, then there are plenty of mods available that have non removable batteries that have a high Mah rating and can deliver power for quite awhile............ Personally, I do not care to own those devices even though they are popular with folks on this forum. I mean most of them are wonderful devices it's just that I don't relish the idea of having to throw away my entire mod once the battery gets old and will no longer take much of a charge.

The Kangertech Subox mini starter kit is very nice as well as very affordable. You get everything you need to start vaping including the tank and atomizers. The only thing extra you would need to purchase is a couple of batteries and a charger and neither of these things are very expensive. The output power is 50W which is plenty enough for direct lung hitting and producing large volumes of vapor. The good thing about the tank that comes with this kit is that the tank that comes with it is a fairly good one and it is designed so that you can either use your mod at higher power levels and do direct lung inhaling, or you can drop the power down and do mouth to lung inhales.... The tank has an adjustable airflow system on it so that you can open in wide open for maximum airflow for direct lung inhaling. Or, you can decrease the airflow for mouth to lung inhaling.

If you're interested in the mods with non removable batteries then you will find lots of folks here that love those and can steer you in the correct direction better than myself. There are lots of good ones out there.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    Tomball Texas
    I second the Kanger Subox Mini. Goes up to 50 watts and the tank is decent and comes with a RBA so if you want to learn to build your own coils. Sub Ohm is the way to go and you will want higher vg juices with lower nicotine. If you think you may eventually want to step up to Temperature Control you could pick up something like the Sigelei 75 watt. My brother just started vaping and that is what I picked out for him paired with the Subtank Mini. (I have the same set-up and love it) He was using my old 15 watt VTR and still having cravings even with 24 mg. He has had this set-up for less than a week and is happily vaping 8mg. He has not wanted to try the Temperature control yet, but if he ever does, both the device and tank are ready for it. Just have to add a nickel coil.

I would have to concur with the people suggesting the Kangertech Subox. Good starter kit and intro into the sub ohm world. Plenty of things packed in the box. All you need is batterie(s) and I would suggest a separate charger even though you can charge through the mod. A good Luc 2 bay charger will charge better and faster than the mod itself.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Any recommendations on good wedstores for gear and especially batterys and chargers.

Chargers can get expensive if you get large ones that charge lots of batteries at once....... I only ever need to charge two batteries at once and so I only buy chargers that charge two batteries at once. I vape quite a bit and seldom go through more than two batteries in a day and so I don't need anything larger. I got a very nice Nitecore brand charger off of Amazon for somewhere around 20 dollars and it works very well and has been very reliable for me. It also has many good reviews from users who purchased it. Of course there are better chargers but I am steering you in a direction that will save you some money but yet will provide quality. Nitecore has many models and so you just need to make sure you get the one that has an electric cord and plugs into the wall. I say this because they also have chargers that look identical but they are USB chargers that plug into USB ports and do not allow you to plug into a wall outlet. Also, the charger I am referring to can charge batteries of various sizes. If you decide to get the Kangertech kit then it uses an 18650 battery and so this charger works for that specific battery size. You will also need to get yourself a couple of 18650 batteries that are rated at at least a 20A continuous ampere rating. Samsung R25 batteries and Sony VTC 4 batteries are good for the Kangertech........... Of course, if you decide on some other mod that has removable batteries then you have to look at the specs of the mod and see what the size of battery it uses and buy the appropriate size battery weather it be an 18650 or some other physical size.

Also, I forgot to mention in my other post about one of the main alluring factors of the Kangertech kit (go figure, I am a forgetful airhead)... What I had forgot to mention is that basically with the Kangertech kit you "sort of" get two systems in one.... They have that tank designed so that you can simply screw in new atomizer coils when the older ones wear out. These factory coils will each last anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks depending upon how you vape and how much you vape..... On the other hand if you ever want to try your hand at building your own coils then you do not have to buy a separate tank and coil system like lots of folks have to do. The Kanger comes with an optional rebuild able deck that you can put in the tank in place of the factory coils. This will allow you to build your own coils and wicks. By building your own, you can get more power output if you so desire, plus you save one heck of a lot of money on buying factory made coils and wicks.

Last edited:

VNeil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 30, 2014
    Ocean City, MD
    Another vote for the Subox kit. Lots of flexibility and room to grow in a mod that can be had for $60 if you look around a little. The rebuildable deck comes prewired with a 0.5 ohm coil that worked for me for about 6 weeks of hard use. It's easy to wick, and one of the easiest decks to rebuild on. So it's a great intro into rebuilding when you are ready. You get two coils, one subohm 0.5 ohm, plus I think a 1.2 ohm? And the rebuildable deck. So you want to buy a 5 pack of coils, at a minimum, so you don't run out of coils and if you get a dud you aren't in a panic and running to a gas station for a pack of smokes :)

Back up everything. I like 18650 batteries because I don't like the idea of having to pay for regulation electronics with each battery. I bought Samsung INR 25R 2500 mAh batteries from Illumn.com for 5 bucks each. But you need to back up your mod and you should back up your charger too. You might spend extra for a nice charger but you should at least have a basic but reliable and inexpensive spare charger in case your main charger dies. Same with the Subox, if you like it, buy another one sooner than later, or buy something else to back it up.

The secret to quitting smoking is to always have a working mod, 24/7/365. It can take a lot of back up to get there. That includes a minimum 2 days supply of batteries and since I'm a chain vaper I go through a lot of batteries.

Did I mention back up? :) :) :)

Personally I was not able to fully quit until I decided I would never, ever, ever take another puff on a cig, and I just passed my first year mark without a puff. YMMV, that was how I had to do it. I am quite sure I am only one puff away from a total relapse. It's just the way I was. I don't ever plan on testing that idea.

Finally, sub-ohming is not all it's cracked up to be. It is really about the power. A 30-50W device will give you a great vape at any usable resistance value. If you get something like the Subox you may find, as I did, that I get a great vape on 0.5 ohm coils and 1.x ohm coils, at the same power level and I personally like the 25-35W range, depending on things.

Reactions: AXIOM_1

philoshop

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2014
    geneva, ny, usa
    Howdy neighbor, and welcome to ECF! Which of the lakes is that in your avatar? ;)

It's hard to buy a really bad piece of gear in the vaping world today, so long as you stick with the bigger brand names and the reputable suppliers. All of the above suggestions are good ones because they all work, but you'll have to find out what suits you and your vape-style the best. (This is why we always ask the newcomers what they're currently using and what they don't like about it before we make any suggestions.)

As far as buying batteries, absolutely stick with the vendors who are known to deliver authentic goods. Check out the blogs by ECF member Baditude for excellent advice on vaping batteries and where to get them. And then buy several so that you have backups.

Best of luck to you Russ79, and if you happen to be close by shoot me a PM.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread