Fake LG HG2 Alert! (yup, another one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I was sent photos of wraps allegedly used by a Chinese battery company to create counterfeit LG HG2's using HE2's, HE4's, and MG1's. I am trying to confirm the authenticity of this report but just the existence of these wraps means there could be counterfeits using them.

The wraps can be identified by the second line of printing, i.e., the date/batch codes, "P148E272AG".

Using the BatteryBro date code lookup tool (18650 Date Code Lookup Tool) shows the date code as valid for May 2016. The date/batch codes may be a copy of an authentic date/code so if you have an HG2 with this code it does not mean it's a fake. Just that it could be.

Here are some ways to determine if any of your HG2's are fake, not just the ones with these codes:

- If the white top ring insulator is self-adhesive then it's a fake. Every genuine LG battery uses a free-floating insulator.

- If the white top ring insulator is semi-gloss/shiny then it's a fake. Every genuine LG HG2 battery uses a matte/textured insulator ring.

- A matte/textured ring does NOT guarantee that your battery is genuine! The counterfeiters may have started using these, I don't know.

- The MG1, HE2, and HE4 are all almost identical in appearance to the HG2 so trying to authenticate by the appearance of the bare battery won't work.

If you aren't able to use any of the above methods to determine the authenticity of your HG2's then try vaping with them, carefully, at 40W EACH or higher. The MG1 version of the fakes will perform terribly at this power level. The HE2/4 versions will deliver about 15% less vaping time and will be tougher to sort from the fakes but careful testing can do so.

If you have any HG2's with this date/batch code please let me know if they were genuine or not. If you have any fakes using this date/batch code please PM me the vendor's name. Your name will be kept confidential if I speak to the vendor.

Vendors, if you have any fake HG2's with this date/batch code please PM me with the name of the distributor you purchased them from. Your name will be kept confidential.

Please don't send me pictures of your HG2's and ask me to authenticate them. I can't see the top insulating rings nearly as well as you can and I won't be able to tell you if they are fake or not.

Thank you!
    Mooch

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Jeez, I love these batteries but I think it's time to switch to 30Q's when it comes time to replace mine, which is soon. I'm not risking it.
    I hate being a voice of pessimism, but its my guess that the Samsung 30Q will be the next battery model to be counterfeited. Also the new Sony Vtc5A and Vtc6.

Counterfeiters generally choose to mimic whatever battery is the current popular trend. For a couple of years it was the old red AW IMR. Then the Sony VTC4 and VTC5, then the Samsung 25R, and now the LG HG2.

I'm not saying that the 30Q is currently being counterfeited, but expect more threads like this one to occur when they are: Samsung 30Qs

LouisLeBeau

Shenaniganery Jedi! Too naughty for Sin Bin
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 23, 2013
    The counterfeiters change on a dime and do whats necessary to fool people . Best bet , always buy from verified and recommended sources like the places Mooch recommends etc.. Never EBay etc...

Thank you, Mooch!

Herb, I purchase my LG HG2's on Ebay. Some of those sellers have tens of thousands of reviews or more, with 100%, or near 100% ratings. Those guys make their living on Ebay. They aren't going to risk those ratings by selling counterfeit goods.

I have purchased almost 2 dozen LG2's from r-lsales, who has 217,500 reviews. Every one has the matte insulator, what appears to be good date codes, and have worked flawlessly and well, outlasting the HE4's and VTC4's as they should. I wouldn't rule out Ebay out of hand.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Herb, I purchase my LG HG2's on Ebay. Some of those sellers have tens of thousands of reviews or more, with 100%, or near 100% ratings. Those guys make their living on Ebay. They aren't going to risk those ratings by selling counterfeit goods.

I wouldn't rule out Ebay out of hand.
    Generally speaking, vendors such as Ebay and Amazon are not recommended to purchase vaping batteries. They may have great consumer ratings, but what happens when those vendors receive a bad batch which turn out to be counterfeits? Will they voluntarily contact those customers who bought them and offer free replacement?

Vendors such as IMR Batteries do what they can to offer authentic name brand batteries. Their entire business reputation is based upon their ability to offer authentic batteries. They do random bench testing of batteries they receive from their suppliers. No battery vendors actually purchase their batteries directly from Lg, Samsung, or Sony. All battery vendors purchase batteries from middleman suppliers which they have learned to trust from past experience. It's not a matter of IF they will eventually get a batch of counterfeits, its more a matter of WHEN. What sets a reputable vendor apart from the others is what they will do when they get some counterfeits. Vendors like IMR Batteries will contact their customers and offer free replacements.

I'm happy that you have had great luck with your Ebay vendor, by the way. Just based upon what I've read on this forum from dissatisfied customers who got hassled trying to get fake batteries replaced, I don't recommend it to others.

Last edited:

herb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2014
    Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
    Thank you, Mooch!

I have purchased almost 2 dozen LG2's from r-lsales, who has 217,500 reviews. Every one has the matte insulator, what appears to be good date codes, and have worked flawlessly and well, outlasting the HE4's and VTC4's as they should. I wouldn't rule out Ebay out of hand.

Got to disagree sorry , i have dealt with the mega sellers of batteries and can assure you many (not all) are selling counterfeits , i have ordered from them and have returned many over time .

When i complained that they were fake i was told each time they are real . I posted detailed info for the seller to review and pointed out why they are fakes and eventually he said i didn't know that and will contact supplier .

Two very long time popular sellers agreed to change suppliers if i would not post a negative report about them selling fakes .

I have not followed up so they are probably still using the same suppliers i don't know .

At Imr batteries & other reputable retailers you can get 100% authentic's and the price is no higher than EBAY . I was shocked at how good the prices were .

Maybe if the price difference was huge it would make a little more sense to look at EBAY but that is not the case at all

Counterfeits do perform fine for awhile so they fool 99 % of people but they are not as good as verified authentic's.

I would bet the house that the explosions you hear about on the news with mechanicals is party due to buying batteries on E BAY , just my opinion.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    I was sent photos of wraps allegedly used by a Chinese battery company to create counterfeit LG HG2's using HE2's, HE4's, and MG1's. I am trying to confirm the authenticity of this report but just the existence of these wraps means there could be counterfeits using them.

The wraps can be identified by the second line of printing, i.e., the date/batch codes, "P148E272AG".

Using the BatteryBro date code lookup tool (18650 Date Code Lookup Tool) shows the date code as valid for May 2016. The date/batch codes may be a copy of an authentic date/code so if you have an HG2 with this code it does not mean it's a fake. Just that it could be.

Here are some ways to determine if any of your HG2's are fake, not just the ones with these codes:

- If the white top ring insulator is self-adhesive then it's a fake. Every genuine LG battery uses a free-floating insulator.

- If the white top ring insulator is semi-gloss/shiny then it's a fake. Every genuine LG HG2 battery uses a matte/textured insulator ring.

- A matte/textured ring does NOT guarantee that your battery is genuine! The counterfeiters may have started using these, I don't know.

- The MG1, HE2, and HE4 are all almost identical in appearance to the HG2 so trying to authenticate by the appearance of the bare battery won't work.

If you aren't able to use any of the above methods to determine the authenticity of your HG2's then try vaping with them, carefully, at 40W EACH or higher. The MG1 version of the fakes will perform terribly at this power level. The HE2/4 versions will deliver about 15% less vaping time and will be tougher to sort from the fakes but careful testing can do so.

If you have any HG2's with this date/batch code please let me know if they were genuine or not. If you have any fakes using this date/batch code please PM me the vendor's name. Your name will be kept confidential if I speak to the vendor.

Vendors, if you have any fake HG2's with this date/batch code please PM me with the name of the distributor you purchased them from. Your name will be kept confidential.

Please don't send me pictures of your HG2's and ask me to authenticate them. I can't see the top insulating rings nearly as well as you can and I won't be able to tell you if they are fake or not.

Thank you!
    Mooch

does that Battery Bro date authenticator work for 30Qs? the set of 30Qs im using at the moment has the SDI number oriented under SAMSUNG, not under the "SDI". also, when i put in the # (136), it tells me its wrong. if i replace the 1 with a I, it tells me the date is for 2018. do i have batteries from the future? fakes? i only buy from Illum and RTD so this has me worried. im holding out hope the authenticator doesn't work for 30Qs, or that im doing something simple incorrectly.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    does that Battery Bro date authenticator work for 30Qs? the set of 30Qs im using at the moment has the SDI number oriented under SAMSUNG, not under the "SDI". also, when i put in the # (136), it tells me its wrong. if i replace the 1 with a I, it tells me the date is for 2018. do i have batteries from the future? fakes? i only buy from Illum and RTD so this has me worried. im holding out hope the authenticator doesn't work for 30Qs, or that im doing something simple incorrectly.

They might not gave updated the tool for a recent change in the date codes for the 30Q. I'd contact Battery Bro and see what they say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread