Fallout starting close to home

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I was informed last night at my main B&M that they will no longer stock mech. mods. They reached the decision after going over the past few incidences and looking at their possible liability. The owner told me, he doesn't want anyone hurt first and secondly he cannot afford to take on a possible lawsuit.

I get his point and totally understand, I wouldn't want to risk my or my family's livelihood either. It just sucks that some people can ruin it for others. The owner did say he'd order me or any of his regulars whatever they wanted and if it is mechs. he'd do it for cost plus 10%.

It's great that I can go to him and possibly get things as cheap or close to fasttech prices without the wait of China mail but does suck that the get it now will be gone. It is so bad that he marked all his mechs. down, I picked up a 4nine in brass by Infinite for under $20 out the door.

I'm torn I got a great deal and can get a continued deal but at the same time it feels like they are curtailing some business based on a few people's mistakes. What happened to the America that could refuse service and that went by the majority, not the minority.

I know it's just mechs. but what's next? That's how regulation has always went, give an inch they take a mile. It reminds me of the NRA fights, they have no problem with regulation, it's just doing it rationally and not with a wide brush but if you give any, they take it all.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
That's the new way of our country if someone hurts themselves through lack of understanding with anything take it away from everyone. It's exactly those kinds of actions that allow people to be dumb and protected from themselves. We are going to be a nation of people who don't need to think for ourselves because its someone else's job to do it for us.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That's noble of the B&M owner, but being closely associated with a local B&M myself, I know the other reason he didn't mention is:

No one is buying them anymore, and they are collecting dust and taking up shelf space.

I intend to find a few Nemesis clones to throw in the sock drawer here soon too.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Not just the US sadly this attitude of legislating for the mentally challenged is on the march across the whole western world and it really bugs me. I'm not in favour of people getting hurt or houses burning down but this blanket approach to things is just ridiculous. We are not all equal most of us have triple figure IQ's and can be trusted to do things for ourselves and be safe doing it I'd go so far as to say that applies to 90% of any given population and catering to the 10% at the detriment of the majority is a high form of lunacy, perhaps more lower digit IQ's have managed to get elected to our legislative bodies and just want to make it harder to recognise them by dumbing everyone and everything down to their level.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
That's noble of the B&M owner, but being closely associated with a local B&M myself, I know the other reason he didn't mention is:

No one is buying them anymore, and they are collecting dust and taking up shelf space.

I intend to find a few Nemesis clones to throw in the sock drawer here soon too.

Actually he sells quite a bit but he's also one of the types that will try to talk people out of one if he feels they aren't ready to use it, that's one reason I come back time and again.

Not just the US sadly this attitude of legislating for the mentally challenged is on the march across the whole western world and it really bugs me. I'm not in favour of people getting hurt or houses burning down but this blanket approach to things is just ridiculous. We are not all equal most of us have triple figure IQ's and can be trusted to do things for ourselves and be safe doing it I'd go so far as to say that applies to 90% of any given population and catering to the 10% at the detriment of the majority is a high form of lunacy, perhaps more lower digit IQ's have managed to get elected to our legislative bodies and just want to make it harder to recognise them by dumbing everyone and everything down to their level.

I agree, I'm so tired of this sheeple mentality, keep them asleep so they have no real idea of what's going on.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I was informed last night at my main B&M that they will no longer stock mech. mods. They reached the decision after going over the past few incidences and looking at their possible liability. The owner told me, he doesn't want anyone hurt first and secondly he cannot afford to take on a possible lawsuit.

I get his point and totally understand, I wouldn't want to risk my or my family's livelihood either. It just sucks that some people can ruin it for others. The owner did say he'd order me or any of his regulars whatever they wanted and if it is mechs. he'd do it for cost plus 10%.

It's great that I can go to him and possibly get things as cheap or close to fasttech prices without the wait of China mail but does suck that the get it now will be gone. It is so bad that he marked all his mechs. down, I picked up a 4nine in brass by Infinite for under $20 out the door.

I'm torn I got a great deal and can get a continued deal but at the same time it feels like they are curtailing some business based on a few people's mistakes. What happened to the America that could refuse service and that went by the majority, not the minority.

I know it's just mechs. but what's next? That's how regulation has always went, give an inch they take a mile. It reminds me of the NRA fights, they have no problem with regulation, it's just doing it rationally and not with a wide brush but if you give any, they take it all.
They should be selling mechs with kick modules included at least to new users.
If a user wants to take out the kick module, that's the user's choice.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
They should be selling mechs with kick modules included at least to new users.
If a user wants to take out the kick module, that's the user's choice.

He did carry the authentic kicks but some complained of cost and they sat for the longest, he never stocked more than 1 or 2 after that first big batch.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
I've seen two of my local B&Ms pretty much empty their wares of mechs and it's not because of lawsuits. Like VaPreis said, they just aren't selling so they are dumping their stock. All the new customers want the pretty, regulated mods so that is what they carry now.

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Sorry, I'm callin' BS on this. (On the part of the B&M owner.)

He isn't selling lawn darts. He's selling something that is basically not a danger When Used Responsibly. He also didn't haveJack to do with the manufacture of the product if it DID turn out to be a killer.

I think his liability exposure as things are now would be nearly non-existent. A order of magnitude more likely is someone slipping and falling in his shop.

Even then, you'd have to be an irresponsible lunatic to have an actual B&M shop without an umbrella insurance policy that would cover him in all but a very egregious action by himself or an employee.

I think there's other reasons too that he made that decision, the most likely being the already mentioned sales number based ones.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I was actually in a vape shop in a nearby city a month ago and they were having a sale where if you buy an atty you got a USA made 200 dollar mod for free.

The deal was though you had to actually take the mech.

I tried getting the sale price and they could keep the mod but no sale. You had to take the mod.

I took the mod. I tried selling for S&G but nobody wanted it. I tried giving it away but nobody wanted it. Ended up epoxying the 510 into a block of wood for a building stand.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Who needs mechs now but old school vapers/collectors? I am sure Ford T was a great car, but to sell it today? Only as antique car.

modularity.

A "mech" is really just a housing for a battery.
The typical regulated mod like the ipv, the sigelei's, the istick100 etc have a housing for the battery but it's integrated into the rest of the device in such a way that you cant use the ipv housing with the sigelei chip and the ... istick topcap.

Just a few years ago one of the big issues was standardization of the 510 interface so that toppers/tanks from one manufacturer device will work on the battery part from another manufacturer device.

Now on the mod side of things, when your mod starts misbehaving and you suspect it's that 510 connector thingy, you'd wish you could just screw the darn thing off and try another one from your buddies rig to see if that's the problem instead of having to go shop for a whole new gizmo.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    No, I checked on the liability laws because I wanted to make mods. The shop owner can be held liable, even for user error, especially when the manufacturer is not in the US.
    Seems that would open up Walmart to a lot of law suits, since most of their product is manufactured in China.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Who needs mechs now but old school vapers/collectors? I am sure Ford T was a great car, but to sell it today? Only as antique car.

Not everyone drives a Volvo.

Mechanical

image.jpg

Regulated

image.jpg

No, I checked on the liability laws because I wanted to make mods. The shop owner can be held liable, even for user error, especially when the manufacturer is not in the US.

There is no law in the US that says a shop owner is automatically responsible for the actions of a customer after they buy an item.
    The customer is responsible for their own actions unless the product was misrepresented.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread