Fallout starting close to home

Status
Not open for further replies.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I'm sorry but it is all about profit, loss and greed.

The stuff you can buy at the grocery store likely has tamper proof packaging, list of ingredients, date and/or lot code stamped on the packaging. The manufacturers did not include all this out of the "kindness of their hearts" but rather were forced to because they did not have sense enough to do it themselves.

Those thinking that the vaping industry is going to "self regulate" anytime in the near or distant future ought to look at other industries for examples.

Tamper proof picked up when Tylenol started doing it after their product was tampered with on the shelves, decades ago. They pulled all their product and then when they brought it back with Tamper proof seals, it was a selling point. Ingredient listing actually started as a gimmick as well, I think it was with Kellogg's corn flakes, it was used to 'prove' their product was healthier than others. Lot code stamping is not for the consumer's benefit, it is actually for the maker's. If they have a bad product they can trace the lot and not tell everyone to return everything.

You're right though, it's all about greed. I always love seeing the new and improved ads, just means they found a faster and cheaper way to make something, lol.

Reactions: JMarca

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
My gripe here is that they ought to pick ONE and not both.

Is it new or is it improved? :)

It's a new and improved piece of junk, that won't last as long as the previous one because we lost too much money making it too well the first time. People hear improved and think that means better for some reason, lol.

Reactions: GeorgeS

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
They don't do any good. People see the large black/red/white font of a warning and gloss over it. They could and should be included with every mod, regulated or not, but simply as a legal CYA for the manufacturer and retailer. That is the "protection" America wants. They don't want McDonald's not to serve coffee that is 10 degrees hotter than anyone can drink it, they want a "Warning: Contents are Hot!" on the lid.
I order my McDonald's coffee with "light ice" because I got tired of burning my tongue.

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I order my McDonald's coffee with "light ice" because I got tired of burning my tongue.
Right, that's my point. That whole episode did not result in McD changing their practice of serving the coffee at a higher temperature, which could arguably make it "safer." What it did result in is a warning label that is largely ignored.

Reactions: skoony

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Right, that's my point. That whole episode did not result in McD changing their practice of serving the coffee at a higher temperature, which could arguably make it "safer." What it did result in is a warning label that is largely ignored.
My point was that I burned my tongue too many times.
:laugh:

By the way, I buy McDonald's coffee at least three times per week.
I don't recall ever seeing a warning anywhere.

Oh wait, I have one here from this morning, and there it is right there...

8470dca6-2a67-4f0e-a777-758ef1d79762_zpsytm3goqz.jpg

I guess I should have read the cup to avoid burning my tongue.
On the other hand, how do I know when it has cooled down enough to drink?

Good thing McDonald's coffee won't blow my face up.

Last edited:

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
On the other hand, how do I know when it has cooled down enough to drink?
Good thing McDonald's coffee won't blow my face up.

A coffee company in the EU (I forget the name now) actually had this very problem and the buyers of said coffee tried to sue (they lost). But the company changed their cups to color changing foam that would actually shift in color depending how hot it was from blue to red.

Anyway, carry on sorry not really related. :)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Edify me Beck. I do have comprehension issues regarding this most important thread.
Read what you wrote.

Understand the severity, legitimacy and reality of the coffee suit.

Find ALL instances (none exist) where 1, someone had "blown their face off" or even 2, someone has done anything remotely near the severity of the coffee incident to ANYONE with an ecigarette battery of any kind.

Reminds me how people were going to die because the mvp 2.0 used lipo.

Ignorance is no excuse. We're all SUPPOSED to be adults here.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
While I'm all for warnings, I honestly don't think that goes far enough.

I'm thinking more like this...
WARNING: Improper use of batteries can result in blowing up your face.

I can see why the current slew of warnings don't "go there" but they should.
They need to.
And this falsified label will prevent lawsuits, you think?

Tapatyped

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Warnings won't stop the people that get hurt one bit. Websites have warnings, some shops have warnings, most batteries come in a box with warnings. Warnings only work if people read them, look into why, and use caution. I'm pretty sure most people that get hurt are not doing any research or learning, so a warning is useless to some types of people.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I honestly don't mind warning labels, I don't think they're particularly effective, but I don't mind them, though I'd rather they not be part of a regulation. I just want them to be truthful. The battery is the dangerous component, so the warning label should reflect that.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Nothing prevents lawsuits, but it can certainly help mitigate them.
More importantly perhaps, it would let people know that there is a danger to be aware of.
Don't you think the point could be pounded home with true statements?

Potential loss of teeth, 3rd degree burns, facial skin graffing, etc.

I think truth in labeling would further help mitigate potential issues, don't you?

It's time we end the false dramatization so we can start educating with truth, IMO.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I honestly don't mind warning labels, I don't think they're particularly effective, but I don't mind them, though I'd rather they not be part of a regulation. I just want them to be truthful. The battery is the dangerous component, so the warning label should reflect that.
Wholeheartedly supported.

We have to simmer down and accept truth.

Nobody is missing their face to support this rampant, gross sensationalism.

Tapatyped

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Don't you think the point could be pounded home with true statements?

Potential loss of teeth, 3rd degree burns, facial skin graffing, etc.

I think truth in labeling would further help mitigate potential issues, don't you?

It's time we end the false dramatization so we can start educating with truth, IMO.
I agree with you about the truth, but I don't like big long warnings in small fonts.

So how about this...
WARNING: Improper use of batteries can result in ....ing up your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread