• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Fasttech Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
The good news is that "Busy B" has a bit of "C" with it, which helps. Bob asked "what's it for" - well, in the short term it provides a little "lift" in a natural, non-addictive way. In the long term it's extremely good for you generally - boosts the immune system etc.. The reason "B" tablets are so big is that the main natural source is brewers' yeast (if you sniff them they can smell faintly of Marmite), and it's hard to compact that into very small quantities while still having a reasonable dose.

Edit: Pictor beat me to it!
:) ....I find them best taken just before a meal ..get no aftertaste then. A lukewarm mug of tea or coffee is good for big mouthfuls to wash it down.
I've usually taken vitamin C by itself ..around 1g per day - good antioxidant that I don't need as much of since I don't smoke tobacco now! As such, the small amount in the Busy B is a bonus.

Coenzyme Q10 is another supplement that has proven values. Natural Q10 is depleted by smoking, which was my initial reason for taking it, but has many other good uses such as heart and general cardiovascular benefits.

Reactions: terry w

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Back to the iStick 100w. The batteries I started yesterday are now about 1/4 empty. Which is nice. :)

It'll be interesting to see whether they gauge falls more quickly from here.
Can't say I've noticed that ...did with the 50W though. Still, could be I just didn't notice yet with the 100W one.

Looks like I'm taking a trip up Holland And Barrets :)
If you want to read about things for specific conditions (colds, heart, muscles, immune system etc.) putting it in the search box on Biovea UK comes up with a list of things available and each one gives detailed information. It's one site I do like for the information. You can then go and see how much you can get the equivalent for at such as Amazon.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
There's also a super book that you can get second-hand for pennies - "Dr Atkins' Vita Nutrient Solution". It's really good on most stuff (the main / minor vitamin groups). It also details a lot of stuff that's herbal and I wouldn't necessarily go so far with (Black Cohosh?). But that's just me, and it's a fun read. Keep in mind that it comes from an age when "optimum nutrition" was big. So he often recommends stuff in huge doses. A little of what you fancy does you good - don't worry too much about the mega-doses. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pictor

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
I usually use other places such as Biovea and Amazon for the information and reviewing - Amazon is usually cheaper than Biovea these days. But seeing the Busy B one was recommended, I took a look and think it seems rather good. Bought us both a pot of them: Holland & Barrett Timed Release Busy B Complex with Vitamin C Caplets 500mg | Holland & Barrett - the UK’s Leading Health Retailer

This is a bit more info regarding B vitamins - we don't tend to store them so a daily supplement is a good idea ...we eliminate any excess too. (hey do make the 'water system' bright yellow! :)):
B-complex vitamins are coenzymes involved in energy production. B-complex vitamins may be helpful in:

• Promoting a healthy mood
• Shown to be a great source of energy
• Normal functioning of the nervous system
• Help people that suffer from stress and fatigue by supporting healthy relaxation and energy levels
• Supports carbohydrate metabolism
• Supports cardiovascular health

What are B-Complex vitamins?

There is no one "Vitamin B". Instead, the term "Vitamin B-Complex" refers to all essential water-soluble vitamins, with the exception of vitamin C. The B-complex vitamins include vitamin B1 (known as thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), and vitamin B12 (the cobalamins), as well as biotin and folic acid.

Why take B-Complex Vitamins?

Vitamin B1: Helps nerve cells to function properly and provides energy. It is also essential for processing carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

Vitamin B2: Helps metabolisms be energised and can serve as an antioxidant. It is essential for activating folic acid and vitamin B6, and for processing fats and amino acids.

Vitamin B3: Important for maintaining energy, and helps create healthy brain and nerve cells. It also assists in transforming carbohydrates into fats, processes alcohol and is responsible for cholesterol regulation.

Vitamin B5: Helps reduce stress and manage stress hormones and is required for forming lipids (fats), steroids and neurotransmitters. One B5 by-product, pantethine, may help lower cholesterol and triglyceride blood levels.

Vitamin B6: (pyridoxine) Helps to form various neurotransmitters, making it instrumental for proper mental, and possibly mood, function. Processes both amino acids (the basic building blocks of all proteins), and such hormones as melatonin, serotonin, and dopamine. Vitamin B6, along with the B vitamins B12 and folic acid, helps to effectively lowers homocysteine levels, which may be linked to various degenerative diseases.

Vitamin B12: Provides crucial neurological benefits and is essential for carbohydrate metabolism, and may contribute to cardiovascular health. It also helps to produce the nutrient S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAM-e), which holds joint and mood benefits. Folic acid is required for cell replication and growth, and the production of DNA, RNA, and red blood cells. It also assists in digesting and utilising proteins, and forms new proteins.

Folic Acid: Crucial for pregnant women's health, as it may hinder the formation of neural tube defects.

The B-complex vitamins work independently of each other, although several do play roles in the same functions. However, no one-health function requires the properties of every B vitamin. Such nutrients as inositol, choline and para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) have been incorrectly referred to as part of the B-complex. However, as these nutrients are not essential for general health, they are not considered true B vitamins

Who needs it and what are the symptoms of deficiency?

The B vitamins support nervous system health and maintenance, mental and emotional health, and stress defence. B vitamin deficiencies may contribute to stress-related symptoms, such as depression, irritability, and insomnia, and may even deplete certain chemicals vital to the body's natural stress response. These nutrients are vital for stress relief and nerve function. They are required for the formation of cellular energy, as well as for hormones and proteins. Plus, they serve to transform fats into other necessary products. B vitamins are essential for the normal functioning of the nervous system and help people that suffer from stress and fatigue by supporting healthy relaxation and energy levels.

How much should be taken?

All B-complex vitamins are water soluble, therefore any excess will be eliminated in the urine; therefore they should be supplemented on a daily basis. The B-complex vitamins generally should be taken together, although they may be taken individually for certain disorders.
Hahaha - water system comment - but apart from that sounds just like what I need - will have to pop in there tomorrow when I go to Morrisons to get the bread & milk (& fags for the Missus :( )

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
There's also a super book that you can get second-hand for pennies - "Dr Atkins' Vita Nutrient Solution". It's really good on most stuff (the main / minor vitamin groups). It also details a lot of stuff that's herbal and I wouldn't necessarily go so far with (Black Cohosh?). But that's just me, and it's a fun read. Keep in mind that it comes from an age when "optimum nutrition" was big. So he often recommends stuff in huge doses. A little of what you fancy does you good - don't worry too much about the mega-doses. :)
A lot of herbal extracts can be good, but some are either of little use or don't work for everyone. Black Cohosh is said to be useful for 'hot flushes' ....but I never tried it, preferring the modern remedies for once!
The reason I stopped using books for alternative remedies and supplement information is that research and findings advance and move on. Enzymes and Amino acids for instance have some very good proven results in certain areas, and have replaced a lot of herbal and other types in effectiveness.
Finding official or serious recent research can give some very unbiased information regarding efficacy and potential results.

You may very well know all this of course, but one very useful search for a specific supplement/alternative solution was in recent years when I suddenly developed IBS after my Dad died, and none of the pharmaceutical drugs made much difference, the final straw being when it was suggested a final thing to try would be tri-cyclic AD's ....a route I was not prepared to try.
I did a search for something like 'supplements that are similar to tri-cyclic AD's' - it emerged that there were three amino acids that may fit the bill: L-Theanine, GABA & Taurine ..and I found a complex that contains all three together with magnesium & holy basil etc.: Source Naturals :: Theanine Serene™ with Relora® I never expect anything to actually work, but took one as soon as it arrived because I had really bad cramps. Two hours later, I realised they'd just about gone. One each night and one each morning kept it under control, and I was able to reduce it to one at night.
Obviously this works well for stress induced IBS ...I don't know about any other type.

I've found other supplements to work well too, but it does take a bit of trial & error or some lengthy reading of research and also reviewers at places such as Amazon.
The colitis I had flare up 2 months ago was harder to deal with, but a complex of gastric enzymes etc. has helped along with lemon balm (Melissa) tincture.

In some cases, St Johns Wort has replaced some pharmaceutical drugs by doctors in some EU countries.
Where a condition isn't life threatening or extreme, I do prefer going down the alternative route if something suitable can be found.

Hahaha - water system comment - but apart from that sounds just like what I need - will have to pop in there tomorrow when I go to Morrisons to get the bread & milk (& fags for the Missus :( )
Yes, one's waterworks don't you know! ;) :laugh:
There are some vitamins and enzymes that we just don't have enough of as we get older, so it's nice to be able to help increase/replace them as long as safe & effective means can be found.
Stating to obvious, but do always take care if pharmaceutical drugs are being used for any reason. Biovea is one site that does advise on drug interaction possibilities on each product pages.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I usually use other places such as Biovea and Amazon for the information and reviewing - Amazon is usually cheaper than Biovea these days. But seeing the Busy B one was recommended, I took a look and think it seems rather good. Bought us both a pot of them: Holland & Barrett Timed Release Busy B Complex with Vitamin C Caplets 500mg | Holland & Barrett - the UK’s Leading Health Retailer

This is a bit more info regarding B vitamins - we don't tend to store them so a daily supplement is a good idea ...we eliminate any excess too. (They do make the 'water system' bright yellow! :)):

I was panicking like heck earlier on Trish when i went for a pee. It was almost bloody fluorescent :laugh: I told the wife, and her reply was, well i always thought you were a bit of an alien :lol:
Seriously though, i was going to pm you regarding that. At first i did think it could have been the Vit D i took, as they are yellow, but when i last had a course of them, my pee wasn`t bright yellow :laugh: Glad i read your post :thumb:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I was panicking like heck earlier on Trish when i went for a pee. It was almost bloody fluorescent :laugh: I told the wife, and her reply was, well i always thought you were a bit of an alien :lol:
Seriously though, i was going to pm you regarding that. At first i did think it could have been the Vit D i took, as they are yellow, but when i last had a course of them, my pee wasn`t bright yellow :laugh: Glad i read your post :thumb:
It's the very same question my husband asked me late this afternoon :) Nuttin' to worry about, it's just excess being eliminated.
There isn't too much vitamin C in this complex, but if ever you do take higher doses of it, the indication that you've over-reached the amount you need is having to run to the loo with 'the runs' ;)

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
It's the very same question my husband asked me late this afternoon :) Nuttin' to worry about, it's just excess being eliminated.
There isn't too much vitamin C in this complex, but if ever you do take higher doses of it, the indication that you've over-reached the amount you need is having to run to the loo with 'the runs' ;)
Excess what though :lol: Nah, one a day will do me Trish. I suppose too much would be just like eating a bag of oranges, flushed down with some fresh juice :lol: Wifey has gone visiting her dad in hozzy, he got rushed in last night with blood in his pee. Been like that for three days apparently, and did nowt about it, bloody fool !

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Excess what though :lol: Nah, one a day will do me Trish. I suppose too much would be just like eating a bag of oranges, flushed down with some fresh juice :lol: Wifey has gone visiting her dad in hozzy, he got rushed in last night with blood in his pee. Been like that for three days apparently, and did nowt about it, bloody fool !
One a day is the recommended amount and all you need - whatever the body doesn't use is merely eliminated :) Since they're hoped to increase energy a little, it's best to take these at breakfast time/earlier in the day. These are timed release too, so more beneficial.

Sorry about your Father in law ...needn't be anything very serious though. Fingers crossed! ...does need attention to check it out though. One of those things where people hope it just goes away.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I know we aren't particularly into talking politics here, but the situation in Hungary is infuriating me.
What on earth have they got to gain by treating them like that. They themselves have said it could take months/years to put them in disgusting camps and prove identities of them all.
They have been allowed to travel that far and have train tickets ...let them move on. There, but for the grace of whatever we have faith in, go us!

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I know we aren't particularly into talking politics here, but the situation in Hungary is infuriating me.
What on earth have they got to gain by treating them like that. They themselves have said it could take months/years to put them in disgusting camps and prove identities of them all.
They have been allowed to travel that far and have train tickets ...let them move on. There, but for the grace of whatever we have faith in, go us!
We only have our past politicians to blame for what is happening now Trisha. Killed saddam, look whats happening to that country. Too scared to intervene in Syria, look whats happened there. Afghanistan ! all the lives lost over there, and for what ? All for nothing, unless you mention oil. Just my tuppence.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
We only have our past politicians to blame for what is happening now Trisha. Killed saddam, look whats happening to that country. Too scared to intervene in Syria, look whats happened there. Afghanistan ! all the lives lost over there, and for what ? All for nothing, unless you mention oil. Just my tuppence.
I agree - if they'd done something positive about especially the current 'lot' and 'him' in Syria, a lot of human destruction and sorrow could have been avoided.
They had no plan with Iraq, and as I understood it, Sadddam, wicked though he was, managed to control the oil rather peacefully throughout that part of the world. Afghanistan seems to have achieved little from what we can tell, yet cost humanity terribly.

With the more recent situations, there would have been collateral damage - if that's what they'd call it - but it should have been dealt with decisively instead them sitting around bouncing words back and forth and achieving nothing.
Apparently, (I can hardly bear to give them a name that isn't unspeakable) IS have a 10 year plan, and it's actually on course just a short way in!

They need to deal with those people humanely and properly before they start batting political issues back and forth.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
I agree - if they'd done something positive about especially the current 'lot' and 'him' in Syria, a lot of human destruction and sorrow could have been avoided.
They had no plan with Iraq, and as I understood it, Sadddam, wicked though he was, managed to control the oil rather peacefully throughout that part of the world. Afghanistan seems to have achieved little from what we can tell, yet cost humanity terribly.

With the more recent situations, there would have been collateral damage - if that's what they'd call it - but it should have been dealt with decisively instead them sitting around bouncing words back and forth and achieving nothing.
Apparently, (I can hardly bear to give them a name that isn't unspeakable) IS have a 10 year plan, and it's actually on course just a short way in!

They need to deal with those people humanely and properly before they start batting political issues back and forth.

My personal belief is that if saddam was still alive today, IS probably wouldn`t even exist. Yes he was wicked, but he kept his ship in order, and woe betide if anyone stepped on his toes, including IS.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
My personal belief is that if saddam was still alive today, IS probably wouldn`t even exist. Yes he was wicked, but he kept his ship in order, and woe betide if anyone stepped on his toes, including IS.
And i forgot to add, what on gods earth gives our country the right to just march into a foreign land, and take leaders out like saddam in the fashion that they did. Yet they are too bloody frightened to go anywhere near that b*astard in syria, because of the lack of oil, and of course russia who make billions out of arms deals.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
You're probably right. Sadly, sometimes the bad maintains the bigger picture, dare I say it: For the greater good.
In recent times, we have seen terrible things we never would have believed possible, things we never should have seen.

And i forgot to add, what on gods earth gives our country the right to just march into a foreign land, and take leaders out like saddam in the fashion that they did. Yet they are too bloody frightened to go anywhere near that b*astard in syria, because of the lack of oil, and of course russia who make billions out of arms deals.
Ah ..perhaps they still live in the era of colonialism! I recall one day sat chatting with my Dad as usual, and I let it be known my own personal feelings about the so called Great British Empire ..yes, some may have needed some help such as the missionaries gave, but they didn't need us moving in and taking over, making servants of them! I could tell by my Dad's face that he was surprised ..I don't think the notion had ever occurred to him until then.

The whole fiasco over the WMD was what allowed caused our presence in Iraq, and I do recall wondering what they'd do once they toppled that regime - amazingly, it emerged that no-one had even considered that! Go in, conquer ...and er, oops - what now?
'Him' in Syria should have been quietly disposed of years ago whilst the whole world wasn't looking! It could have been done ..and I can think of a few others that the same could have been applied to without any major outburst of protest and finger pointing.
I'm not sure of the accuracy, but did hear that IS controls much of the Syrian oil and sells it back to Assad? Hence the population suffering so miserably with two sources of persecution.
Wonder which country they'll 'take over' next! See, as I said earlier re the poor refugees stuck in Hungary ...there but for the grace of everything we hold dear and true, go us!

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England

Yes - Riboflavin does that. It's high-vis all right! :)

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Yes - Riboflavin does that. It's high-vis all right! :)
I'd never read anything much on the individual types of B vitamins - only perhaps 12 and 6. Just read the Wikipedia page re B2 and it makes for interesting reading regarding the various reasons that we would eliminate it - the lack of absorption due to IBD is one. Don't actually think I'm particularly B2 deficient though thankfully.

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
Vapemail: 2 drip tips from Vince on FB:

2015-09-03 13.51.07.jpg

Ooops forgot to add: 2 x Kanger Subtank Minis & a Lemo v2 from Vape Escape

Last edited:

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
On another note went into H&B and they had run out of the large bottles of Busy B so ended up getting their timed release B-Complex + Vitamin C which they had for £16.99 for 250 caplets and were also on the 1p offer so got 2 for £17, at one a day that's nearly 1.5 years worth, not sure if it contains the same amount of everything as Busy B

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
On another note went into H&B and they had run out of the large bottles of Busy B so ended up getting their timed release B-Complex + Vitamin C which they had for £16.99 for 250 caplets and were also on the 1p offer so got 2 for £17, at one a day that's nearly 1.5 years worth, not sure if it contains the same amount of everything as Busy B
The quantities are different, but it's still a decent complex:
I believe this is the one you got-Vitamin B Complex plus Vitamin C Timed Release:
upload_2015-9-3_14-45-11.png

and this is the Busy B:
upload_2015-9-3_14-46-3.png

I got the 60 per bottle in Busy B so there's twice as many in the ones you got, hence the higher price - but great about the 1p offer! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread