Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I find that my Naturally Extracted Tobaccos taste way better in an atty than a kayfun. The kayfun tends to distort the flavor somehow. I bet they would taste even better with squonking. Any suggestions where to start?
I need to try this.
Squonking and dripping are exactly the same for the first two draws but after that it's a little different. Because when squonking it only takes a little squeeze to fully saturate the wick again, a huge advantage over dripping.

Added note; If you want to try squonking without having to buy new equipment. You should try the Fountain V2 squonking atomizer. It only cost about $15.00 and works very well on any device.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I agree totally with the HS #5. I've use HS #5 in a mix that I use daily for about 3 yrs. now and it is fantastic. For a while HS stopped producing #5, so I switched to Highway as an alternative. Though it is a viable alternative it just doesn't work as well for me. When #5 became available again I stocked up in case of some future disruption in supply. I made 1.5 L of juice a couple of days ago, so I'm set for about 6 mos.

I agree with your findings. Although highway makes a good 555 mix it seems that No.5 has the edge on nuttyness and tobacco strength. It's still my No.1 go to as far as a 555. And like you I've stocked up on No.5 to last well into the future.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
I had a pretty happy thought a moment ago.... That since HS is a Chinese company - they likely won't close their doors... Would assume they'll still have their local market at least. And I'm starting to think if there's a will there's a way.... Speak easy and all that.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So far, Hangsen is my favorite flavoring. I do hope that we will still be able to get NET and similar flavorings after the two year FDA harassment period is over.

I discovered through gradual experimentation that I like 7% to 10% in my Hangsen DIY mixes. I started at 5% and found them tasting like PG/VG with very little flavor after a week of steeping, except for a hint of sweetness. 7% wasn't much different after a few days. At 10% the mild tobacco flavor began to appear on day one after adding additional flavor. I'll hold and steep at 10% before going further.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I do hope that we will still be able to get NET and similar flavorings after the two year FDA harassment period is over.

It's terribly easy to make your own NET. :)

I do understand your sentiment though; making something like INW Dark for Pipe (one of my fav synthetics) would, for me, be close to impossible I'm afraid. :(

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Yes it is! A little time consuming, but well worth the effort. :)
I bought a couple broken short cuban cigars from a smoke shop( 30 dollar cigar for 10 bucks). All I did was remove the leaf wrapper, removed all the stems and thick bits and cut it up as fine as I could with a knife and cutting board(they say to use a coffee grinder or a bud buster). In a mason jar I just added enough PG to cover but that was my mistake, I added too much PG and after all settled I could have used half to two thirds the PG I used. After sitting, shaking, poking and stiring for 2 months I ended up with 400ml of 100%PG flavor. I have to mix it 50/50 but it ended up as a not bad base, little sweet, very dark and lives up to its gunking since I don't have micron filters and used coffee filters then force through a cotton plug in a syringe. This 50/50 NET with a touch of RTS TA can gunk my coil within a few days so micron filters is a necessity that I will have before my next NET has brewed.
Bottom line is I'm happy with my first attempt at NET, lessons learnt for my next go but once I find a leaf I want to try that somewhat matches HS Desert ship grassyness I will give it another go.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Removed the wrapper?!? You know the wrapper probably costs more than the rest of the cigar combined. It's the best leaf by a wide margin.

I didn't know that. Add it to the lessons learned..thanks @aceswired

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Reactions: Alter and JD1

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I bought a couple broken short cuban cigars from a smoke shop( 30 dollar cigar for 10 bucks). All I did was remove the leaf wrapper, removed all the stems and thick bits and cut it up as fine as I could with a knife and cutting board(they say to use a coffee grinder or a bud buster). In a mason jar I just added enough PG to cover but that was my mistake, I added too much PG and after all settled I could have used half to two thirds the PG I used. After sitting, shaking, poking and stiring for 2 months I ended up with 400ml of 100%PG flavor. I have to mix it 50/50 but it ended up as a not bad base, little sweet, very dark and lives up to its gunking since I don't have micron filters and used coffee filters then force through a cotton plug in a syringe. This 50/50 NET with a touch of RTS TA can gunk my coil within a few days so micron filters is a necessity that I will have before my next NET has brewed.
Bottom line is I'm happy with my first attempt at NET, lessons learnt for my next go but once I find a leaf I want to try that somewhat matches HS Desert ship grassyness I will give it another go.

I've used 1 micron filters and didn't see much of a difference over coffee filters. I run my net's through an aeropress coffee maker.

https://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-Aero...970757&sr=8-1&keywords=aeropress+coffee+maker

Seems to do a decent job of filtering but as you said it does gunk up coils fast. Also to speed things up you can set the jar on a candle warmer or use a crock pot set to low and let it stew for about 24 hours.

I found this American Virginia pretty good for NET's
a 1/4 pound is pretty cheap and makes a lot of NET.

USA Virginia Flue Cured Tobacco Leaf For Cigarettes, MYO, RYO, Pipe Tobacco, Hookah Tobacco, and more.

Last edited:

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Darn near a week without any posts. In an effort to keep this thread going, here's my current top 5 single flavors (excepting NET, which is a whole category unto itself). Anyone else wanna chime in with theirs?

Of course, tomorrow my list is probably different. But this is today.

1) Dark for Pipe (INW)
2) Indian Tobacco (HS)
3) Gold for Pipe (INW)
4) Elder Captain (HS)
5) Tuscan Reserve (FA)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I've been away from the tobacco vapes for a while now. Been doing the desert, tea and fruit thing lately but I'll share a vape I've been addicted to lately.
A little back story first. I got really into a Mint chocolate vape which I couldn't put down and was vaping that for a few weeks and just recently started to get tired of it. So I took some of my long favored prime clone and added 25% of my mint chocolate to it and wow. So my new ADV for now is a Mint Chocolate 555 mix.

First mix (The mint chocolate)
7% OSD's Mint chocolate
1% TFA's Mint
2% Inawera chocolate (I think it's spelled czekolada)

2nd mix (The 555)
7% Hangsen T5
1% AP

Add 25% of mix # 2 to Mix # 1 and there you have it.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Darn near a week without any posts. In an effort to keep this thread going, here's my current top 5 single flavors (excepting NET, which is a whole category unto itself). Anyone else wanna chime in with theirs?

Of course, tomorrow my list is probably different. But this is today.

1) Dark for Pipe (INW)
2) Indian Tobacco (HS)
3) Gold for Pipe (INW)
4) Elder Captain (HS)
5) Tuscan Reserve (FA)
Like you, I have trouble picking a favorite, but here's some that are at the top of my list.

1) French Pipe (SC)
2) Black for Pipe (INW)
3) Cohiba (SC)
4) Highway (HS)
5) Cigar (SC)

Some of my favorite additives.
Vanilla. I currently use equal parts TFA Vanilla Swirl, Vanilla Bean, and Vanillin for a pretty decent vanilla that's not bad on coils, but my search continues. :vapor:
Caramel. Currently use either TFA Original or Hangsen. Both are good.
FA Oak Wood, one to two small drops per 8 ml. I use it quite often, and I have the TFA Red Oak on my list to try as well.
INW Cherries, which reminds me, I haven't used it in a while. That will get fixed soon lol.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I've been away from the tobacco vapes for a while now. Been doing the desert, tea and fruit thing lately but I'll share a vape I've been addicted to lately.
A little back story first. I got really into a Mint chocolate vape which I couldn't put down and was vaping that for a few weeks and just recently started to get tired of it. So I took some of my long favored prime clone and added 25% of my mint chocolate to it and wow. So my new ADV for now is a Mint Chocolate 555 mix.
Sounds good. Which Mint Chocolate?

Reactions: Slots

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Like you, I have trouble picking a favorite, but here's some that are at the top of my list.

1) French Pipe (SC)
2) Black for Pipe (INW)
3) Cohiba (SC)
4) Highway (HS)
5) Cigar (SC)

Some of my favorite additives.
Vanilla. I currently use equal parts TFA Vanilla Swirl, Vanilla Bean, and Vanillin for a pretty decent vanilla that's not bad on coils, but my search continues. :vapor:
Caramel. Currently use either TFA Original or Hangsen. Both are good.
FA Oak Wood, one to two small drops per 8 ml. I use it quite often, and I have the TFA Red Oak on my list to try as well.
INW Cherries, which reminds me, I haven't used it in a while. That will get fixed soon lol.
Been meaning to try those SCs. All I've done is Black and Mild (underwhelmed). Will put French Pipe and Cohiba in my next BCV order.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread