Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
Over all I like the DIY experience of making e liquids, rather simple process of adding liquids together which saves quite a bit of money and you end up getting a better flavor. Since I've started using the water bath method of steeping I've found the flavor I get out has increased which improves things even more. Right now I'm still very unsatisfied with the honey and sugar with which I'm using to add some sweetness. I already know there are 2 different types of sugars and I should probably try the other one and maybe a different brand of honey. Unlikely but maybe it is just me.
Try a different coil build Carl2 it might work for you, Only made myself a clapton jig to build 2x26 kanthal core
Ni80 40awg wrap,as the motor is so slow took 2hours to wrap 10in length with this very fine wire wrap but it's tight and precise,any way on trying, the ramp up is instant if that's making my tobacco flavours taste better than my normal single wire build,any way Carl if mixing was easy you wouldn't bother. :)

Reactions: DavidOck

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Over all I like the DIY experience of making e liquids, rather simple process of adding liquids together which saves quite a bit of money and you end up getting a better flavor. Since I've started using the water bath method of steeping I've found the flavor I get out has increased which improves things even more. Right now I'm still very unsatisfied with the honey and sugar with which I'm using to add some sweetness. I already know there are 2 different types of sugars and I should probably try the other one and maybe a different brand of honey. Unlikely but maybe it is just me.

If it's not specifically the honey, but the sweetness, maybe try with Ethyl Maltol or Erithritol (said to be less gunky than other sweeteners. Can't say for sure, since I just got some, and it's steeping ;) )

Reactions: anavidfan

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've got Smoks Big Baby Beast for a tank and am using the RBA deck with it. 2 SS Clapton coils total resistance of .40 ohms. Must be the original coils that came with it probably in use for 3 months. I just put some Turkish tobacco in it, water bath for 6 hours. DIY gave me good flavors and the water bath gave me even more flavor. I have a Daedalus for Clapton coils, I went very slowly at first but with more practice I speeded it up. Rough guess 12 inches ( gives me more than enough) about 10 minutes. I use more thinner wires and 36 gauge outer wire. All SS used in temp mode about 340 F.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Here's a formula someone gave me on my post in Juice rescue cheat codes. Maybe it'll be helpful. Thanks again, Hawise!

If you ever need to calculate this again, the formula is:

Initial - refers to the juice you're doctoring (your 10 ml samples, in this case)
Volumes are in ml
Concentrations are in mg/ml

Volume of base to add = [Initial volume x (target nicotine concentration - initial nicotine concentration)] / [base concentration - target concentration]

So, for your example you get:

Volume to add
= [10 ml (18 mg/ml - 14 mg/ml)] / [48 mg/ml - 18 mg/ml]
= 1.33 ml

Hawise, Monday at 12:27 AM

Juice Rescue "Cheat Codes"

Reactions: DavidOck

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I never had a problem with the Juice me up calculator, it took a little playing with it to get used to using it. I've been using temp mode since I first started vaping, nickel at first and since I got to the latest mod I went with the SS coils. Not sure if I've been cursed or it's because I've dropped the mod a few times. It started leaking, the top opened, the resistance dropped to .32 ohms from .40. Took out the liquid and opened it, coils were covered with carbon but cotton didn't look bad. I removed the cotton and burned the coils, lots of burning and running tweezers across it. Heated and ran water across it. Rewicked the coil, now have the coil at the correct resistance. Looking at the coil I could tell it was the coil I made, In the meantime I was able to use the tank with the original coils. I should probably try the honey and sugar again but I'm not expecting much of a change.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a large bottle of PG, VG and enough nicotine in it to give 3 mg per ml. This mixture is put in a bottle and the flavoring is added so many drops per ml. I get ml for nicotine, VG and PG and nothing in the grams. If the nicotine is right the 15 ml in VG or PG is nothing. It seems you can get the weight by weighing out VG, PG and nicotine which I've never done.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I just began vaping a mixture of Virginia tobacco with a few other flavors added.
Virginia Tobacco in a 60 ml bottle with 50 drops of Virginia flavor
Perique Black 20 drops Flavor Art
Cinnamon 15 drops
Egg Nog 15 drops
My first try at mixing a 60 ml bottle, some may like it some may not. I find it a nice change from the straight Virgina.
Naturally you can add more or less of a particular flavor.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
My Gold Ducat has finally stayed for almost 2 weeks so I gave it a go. It is by far my favorite juice I've ever had

Brew , i'm terrible at describing flavors because I'm a relatively newbie I would say it has a little sweetness but the tobacco flavor in my opinion is incredible

I've already mixed up another 425 mill in a 500 mill bottle so I can really let it steep
What percentage did u use? Gonna add this to my next...

Domejunky

Feb 28, 2017
Well chaps this may be a rubbish idea, thinking of getting a heat treated 1lt oak barrel then soak with cheap cognac for 3 months after which fill with inawera dark for pipe to steep for 6months,
only a few years back i had a pre order 9month wait for cigar with this process, worked very well,
so is it a nay or yay for home steeping process, thank's.
If you look at beer brewing shops, you should be able to find oak chips. Should be a more effective, cheaper way of doing it. Quite common in hombrewed beer circles. Chips give more surface area...

Sent from my Aquaris X5 using Tapatalk

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Okay, after going thru every page of this thread, and keeping a scorecard of favorable mentions, I compiled a list for my inaugural DIY Juice order. A month ago, I got:

HS: Tab, Gold & Silver
INW: TA Garuda, Flue Cured, DNB
SC: Cohiba
FA: 7 Leaves, Desert Ship (meant to get Hangsen's)
Went max VG on all of them with VG based nic. Only PG in flavorings.

HS Tab (7%)
Pretty good - solid tobacco, a little nutty, all around a nice vape. Deep, smooth flavor, not overly sweet. Not much change in a month of steeping, shake 'n vape was great.

HS Gold & Silver (7%)
My favorite, initially. This was really a great cigalike taste. Not a deep, rich flavor, but has real high notes, the spiciness that real tobacco has, and is well rounded. The most satisfying hits I've had since smoking. Made me feel like I'd just smoked one of my Dad's unfiltered Lucky Strikes. Great throat hit and mouth feel.

INW TA Garuda, Cohiba, DNB
Really got this to try a Cohiba/Garuda/DNB recipe recommended by DannyV, in 2/2/2% mix. This didn't come out as flavorful as I'd have liked, was nice but kind of bland, when I'd expected a more robust cigar flavor. I've since boosted the Garuda, and lettin it steep. As a standalone, I really like the Garuda- has a really bright, fresh flavor, but is kind of one dimensional. Cohiba by itself just wasn't very interesting. Just an OK flavor. The DNB, they say is to add an "ashy" character. It's not really ashy, but I know what they mean - it's easier to type than "OMG- I'm actually exhaling smoke!" It really does add that effect. It adds a mouthfeel much like chocolate - not that it's sweet, or tastes like chocolate, but totally saturates the taste buds in the way that a fine chocolate does. Unfortunately, it has only the "bass" notes, and kind of mutes the bright flavors of some of the other tobaccos. But it's something that tobacco loving vapers need to try - just use it sparingly.

FA Desert Ship (2.5%)
Probably has the best aroma out of the bunch. Smells awesome, very savory. Unfortunately, I've found I just don't like sweet vapes at all. First hit is nice, but after a handful of hits, I've got to have something else. Tried fresh and steeped, and got the same result. It was better after steeping, as the sharp caramel flavor mellowed, and allowed more tobacco to come thru, but still too sweet for me. I might pour it in my wife's candles, though - still love the aroma!

FA 7 Leaves (3%)
Expected it to be a nice mix of various tobacco's, and saw many people loved it when reading this thread. But it reeked of anise/licorice when I opened it. I hate licorice. Found out that doesn't steep out. Fail. Completely.

INW Flue Cured (2%)
Like the TA Garuda, has mostly high notes. Very mild, smooth tobacco, with hay/straw flavor. Has a natural, light sweetness, without tasting sweetened, if that makes sense. Initially, I thought it was nice, but very one dimensional - kind of boring. But I kept coming back to it, and using it to top off tanks of the others when I got bored with them. Overall, this and G&S are my favorites - and they play very well together - I tank mix them often. Funny that I like the flue cured so much, because I went in thinking that I'd need bold, robust kind of flavors to satisfy me.

Hope this helps someone. And my next order will include a Virginia, Elder Captain, Gold Ducat. Unless anyone can tell me that these might be too sweet? Would love to have other recommendations of non-sweet tobaccos.

Last edited:

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for putting that in Brewdawg 1181 nice reviews also are helpful. Not seeing much of Dannyv around lately, I just learned he had a discussion about crockpot steeping in 2014, so my attempts are nothing new rather old hat to be honest.
Once I get some bottles in I'll be trying out flavors to add to the tobacco's for something different in the mix.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
If you look at beer brewing shops, you should be able to find oak chips. Should be a more effective, cheaper way of doing it. Quite common in hombrewed beer circles. Chips give more surface area...

Sent from my Aquaris X5 using Tapatalk
No, It's the cognac flavour I'm after not oak, on looking for used cognac barrels the smallest i could find are
25Lt, which are to large,so it has to be 1Lt new then proceed with process.

Krish Roy

Sep 19, 2017
Hi.. I have a question..

I am trying to figure out a e-liquid (yaeliq premium tobacco, which i really like). To describe it, it will be a straight up tobacco, very grassy but not nutty. No complex/spicy undertones.

The one thing, is the color of the liquid, which is pale gold (dont believe nic oxidation caused the coloring) . Most of the tobacco eliquid flavors i have used are on the brownish/reddish spectrum. This might help to cut down the list (i do not have the experience to do so :))

Any guesses.

Thanks in advance

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I vaped many of the Yaeliq tobaccos and found them well worth the money. Cuban cigar was one of the better ones, it had a flavor that I can't describe and not found in any concentrate that I have tried to even think of trying to replicate it. I still after well over 2 years of DIY have the cuban cigar in a smaller jug so I can remember the smell incase I come across something thats kinda the same. The only real con I had for Yaeliq is that the juice darkens real fast into almost sludge long before its time and its mighty sweet. He works with some wizardry with the flavors he comes up with cause only a couple that I did order I didn't like. I hated to waste the leftover yaeliq after I began DIY so I ended up cutting them down since they were over flavored and strong.
Good luck on your quest, I gave up long ago figuring his formulas are more complex than I was willing to get into and I also found Hangsen tobac concentrates then never bothered going much further.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I am trying to figure out a e-liquid (yaeliq premium tobacco, which i really like).
I tried 70% of his tobacco flavours and the Premium Tobacco is my tobacco heaven :).
I had not heard of Yaeliq, so I went looking. I found the website(?) and immediately thought I recognized many (most?) of the images used for the various tobacco flavor offerings; they are also used by EcigExpress (ECX).
upload_2017-9-19_13-36-25.png

upload_2017-9-19_13-36-54.png

Now, I must offer several disclaimers:
I have never vaped any Yaeliq flavors.
I have never vaped any EcigExpress tobacco flavors, or concentrates.
So, I have NO clue as to whether there is any connection between the two; or... if this is a complete wild goose chase.
I also think(?) ECX re-bottles/re-brands other manufacturer's lines, to create their own "Express" house label. I have no idea what/who they use for their tobacco flavors (I do know they use TFA for their fruit-flavored line). Perhaps someone, who is familiar with their tobacco products, can shed more light on this.

It is possible:
The two vendors are completely unrelated (other than images).
Yaeliq buys, and resells, ECX product.
ECX buys, and resells, Yaeliq product.
Both Yaeliq AND ECX are buying a third party's concentrate(s) and using them to produce their own products (which may, or may not, be similar).
In other words, other than graphics, I have NO idea if there is ANY comparison to the two vendors products.:facepalm:

But, for what ever it is worth, EcigExpress offers both a ready-to-vape "Premium Tobacco" e-liquid, as well as a "Premium Tobacco" flavor concentrate for DIYers. Both ECX products have nearly identical descriptions; so I am guessing the e-liquid is made from the concentrate.

@Krish Roy, I don't know where you live, or if you have access to US vendors, but if you do, you might want to order a small sample to compare.

This post is FULL of conjecture, and half-baked suppositions, and I welcome all input that will correct any and all errors, as well as fill in all the cavernous gaps.:blush::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread