Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
For someone like me that is new to DIY, this thread is an awesome guide on how to make good tobacco style vapes. Been in the DIY game for about a month and made a few mixes I am satisfied with (none were tobacco). Never thought I would want to make a tobacco style juice as I use primarily NET's for my tobaccos and have been very satisfied. Then one day I decided to look at this thread and BAM, a strong urge came over me to try my hand at making tobacco mixes.

The first thing I did was read this thread from start to finish and then made some educated buys for what flavors that I feel fit my flavor profile. Then waited patiently for the mail woman to deliver my flavors. Then took some of the recipes posted here and tried to duplicate them.

The first one I tried was Chopdoc's Applewood but with blueberry instead of apple. It was:

7% 7 leaves (FA)
1% Inawara Garuda TA
1% TFA Blueberry Wild

Not bad but blueberry is almost not there. Might try a better blueberry if I ever find one or do it again with the apple he tried. Still letting this one age though as it has only been 5 days, might improve. Still not sure I like the 7 Leaf base yet. It seems not to be as smooth as the HS or INW products I've tried thus far. Could be it needs age as well.

Next up was Danny's SC Cohiba he just made a few weeks ago. It appealed to my love of NET cigar vapes so thought what the heck, give it a try. however, did not have the same TA as he used so improvised.

2% SC Cohiba
2% Inawara Garuda TA
2% Inawara Tobacco Cavendish Type WG

This one hit the nail on the head. It has more of the higher pitched notes reminiscent of the flavor in acid blonde cigars. Slightly sweet top note with a nice ashy finish. Kinda reminds me of a nice acid blonde cigar NET I use regularly called Dagwood's Wife is Trippin from River Bottom Fog Sauce. Not quite the same but not far off either. Went through 20 of the 30 mils I made since Monday. Not much aging needed. Good stuff, thanks Danny.

Next, made something on my own. I read that Arabic Tobacco from Hangsen had a ceder note so thought it would do well with Kentucky bourbon which I have from TFA.

3% Arabic HS
1% Garuda TA Inawara
1% Kentucky bourbon TFA

This one is getting so darn good after 5 days so far. Has a nice cedar note which mellowed as it aged. The bourbon adds a hot note, not as in spice but as in that alcohol feel. Not good at explaining it but it is working for me, and that's all that really matters I guess.

Made one more so far which I tried to replicate one of my other favorite NET's. It is made up of red and gold Virginias mixed with Burley. Since I only have Inawera Virginia and Burly, I thought I'd add a dash of Inawera Cavandish to round it out.

3% Tobacco Virginia INW
3% Burly Tobacco INW
1% Tobacco Cavendish Type WG INW
1% Garuda TA INW

I only made this one two days ago yet on day two, it has the notes I was looking for. Some sweetness, some dryness, and some Earthiness. The ash from the TA might be overkill in my opinion and may try it again without but will see how it develops with some age under its belt.

In any event, glad I decided to take a peek at this thread. It got me to try these and so far, am quite satisfied. Still need a few more TA's but they were out at BC when I ordered and was confident enough yet to try the Samara or Mothers Milk ones yet. Will get there eventually though. Again, great thread, thanks!!

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
For someone like me that is new to DIY, this thread is an awesome guide on how to make good tobacco style vapes. Been in the DIY game for about a month and made a few mixes I am satisfied with (none were tobacco). Never thought I would want to make a tobacco style juice as I use primarily NET's for my tobaccos and have been very satisfied. Then one day I decided to look at this thread and BAM, a strong urge came over me to try my hand at making tobacco mixes.

The first thing I did was read this thread from start to finish and then made some educated buys for what flavors that I feel fit my flavor profile. Then waited patiently for the mail woman to deliver my flavors. Then took some of the recipes posted here and tried to duplicate them.

The first one I tried was Chopdoc's Applewood but with blueberry instead of apple. It was:

7% 7 leaves (FA)
1% Inawara Garuda TA
1% TFA Blueberry Wild

Not bad but blueberry is almost not there. Might try a better blueberry if I ever find one or do it again with the apple he tried. Still letting this one age though as it has only been 5 days, might improve. Still not sure I like the 7 Leaf base yet. It seems not to be as smooth as the HS or INW products I've tried thus far. Could be it needs age as well.

Next up was Danny's SC Cohiba he just made a few weeks ago. It appealed to my love of NET cigar vapes so thought what the heck, give it a try. however, did not have the same TA as he used so improvised.

2% SC Cohiba
2% Inawara Garuda TA

This one hit the nail on the head. It has more of the higher pitched notes reminiscent of the flavor in acid blonde cigars. Slightly sweet top note with a nice ashy finish. Kinda reminds me of a nice acid blonde cigar NET I use regularly called Dagwood's Wife is Trippin from River Bottom Fog Sauce. Not quite the same but not far off either. Went through 20 of the 30 mils I made since Monday. Not much aging needed. Good stuff, thanks Danny.

Next, made something on my own. I read that Arabic Tobacco from Hangsen had a ceder note so thought it would do well with Kentucky bourbon which I have from TFA.

3% Arabic HS
1% Garuda TA Inawara
1% Kentucky bourbon TFA

This one is getting so darn good after 5 days so far. Has a nice cedar note which mellowed as it aged. The bourbon adds a hot note, not as in spice but as in that alcohol feel. Not good at explaining it but it is working for me, and that's all that really matters I guess.

Made one more so far which I tried to replicate one of my other favorite NET's. It is made up of red and gold Virginias mixed with Burley. Since I only have Inawera Virginia and Burly, I thought I'd add a dash of Inawera Cavandish to round it out.

3% Tobacco Virginia INW
3% Burly Tobacco INW
1% Garuda TA INW

I only made this one two days ago yet on day two, it has the notes I was looking for. Some sweetness, some dryness, and some Earthiness. The ash from the TA might be overkill in my opinion and may try it again without but will see how it develops with some age under its belt.

In any event, glad I decided to take a peek at this thread. It got me to try these and so far, am quite satisfied. Still need a few more TA's but they were out at BC when I ordered and was confident enough yet to try the Samara or Mothers Milk ones yet. Will get there eventually though. Again, great thread, thanks!!

Take some of those mixes you made up, 5 or 10 ml and put them aside in a dark drawer or on the back of your mixing shelf for a month and a half, two months and then try them. You will be amazed at how the flavor develops with a tobacco blend, especially a complex blend. Welcome to the tobacco mixing group!

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Take some of those mixes you made up, 5 or 10 ml and put them aside in a dark drawer or on the back of your mixing shelf for a month and a half, two months and then try them. You will be amazed at how the flavor develops with a tobacco blend, especially a complex blend. Welcome to the tobacco mixing group!
Thanks. I have some aside but treating them like NET's; drip a little every once in a while to see how they develop. Problem with a few of them is I kinda like fresh. Prior experiences taught me I like it when I like it and sometimes a good rest mutes or changes the part I like into something different. In any event, will try that for sure as I'm still new to this and need to know how they develop for future mixing thoughts. Also planning on making small samples of each flavor individually to see what they taste like. I jumped the gun a little and tried a few recipes that looked good and went from there. Still have no clue how they taste individually though. Thanks for the advice.

1vapeatatime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Nevada
Steeping......hmmm.
This is what I think. I hate steeping liquids. It cuts into my "instant Gratification/OCD/I want it now" time.
On the other hand I believe steeping is essential to many tobacco type juices; not all mind you, but you'll never know until you try.
So.....I make my juice in 5ml samples. If I see potential I make a second bottle, and set it aside to steep.
Because I invariably drip into LR attys 4 or 5 drops at a time my new mix gets vaped from the 1st bottle for a couple of weeks, a little bit each time.
By the end of that time I've already made up my mind if this is something I like or not, and the steeped bottle should be ready. That's when I mark my final notes down on my database.
I have many blends waiting to be mixed in bigger bottles, but only the best ever make it.
Out of 12 permanent homemade juices 3 of them require NO steeping, but I had to try steeping them to find that out.
So, 75% of my favorite blends require steepage of some sort.
It seems odd that I only have 12 blends in my DIY ADV pantry, but really it is not.
If a juice I make is OK, but not as good or better than my existing stock, it goes on my waiting list, or on my scrap list.
But without the "hated" steeping I would never know this.
I've never purposely steeped for 1 or 2 months....I don't have the patience or discipline for this.

PS: A word of advise, be very diligent with your scrap list. This is a very important record that will help you learn what works and what doesn't. Also It will keep you from making the same mistake twice.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Steeping......hmmm.
This is what I think. I hate steeping liquids. It cuts into my "instant Gratification/OCD/I want it now" time.
On the other hand I believe steeping is essential to many tobacco type juices; not all mind you, but you'll never know until you try.
So.....I make my juice in 5ml samples. If I see potential I make a second bottle, and set it aside to steep.
Because I invariably drip into LR attys 4 or 5 drops at a time my new mix gets vaped from the 1st bottle for a couple of weeks, a little bit each time.
By the end of that time I've already made up my mind if this is something I like or not, and the steeped bottle should be ready. That's when I mark my final notes down on my database.
I have many blends waiting to be mixed in bigger bottles, but only the best ever make it.
Out of 12 permanent homemade juices 3 of them require NO steeping, but I had to try steeping them to find that out.
So, 75% of my favorite blends require steepage of some sort.
It seems odd that I only have 12 blends in my DIY ADV pantry, but really it is not.
If a juice I make is OK, but not as good or better than my existing stock, it goes on my waiting list, or on my scrap list.
But without the "hated" steeping I would never know this.
I've never purposely steeped for 1 or 2 months....I don't have the patience or discipline for this.

PS: A word of advise, be very diligent with your scrap list. This is a very important record that will help you learn what works and what doesn't. Also It will keep you from making the same mistake twice.

That is why an ultrasonic cleaner is very helpful for DIY. 5 hours UC steeping is like a couple weeks sitting for me. In my opinion nothing makes up for a long term steep but a UC will get you a lot closer to determining if a batch is going to be a keeper or not in a short period of time. I have before taken a tobacco juice and gave it 10 hours in the UC, then let it sit for a week and when I go to vape it, its like it has been steeping for a couple months.

Dixie1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
Springfield,Oregon,USA
I can't even imagine using any FA at 7%. :shock: :lol: But that makes sense when you know that I use NN Honey Tobacco at .25% and FA Cuban Supreme at .05% in my All Day Vape. :blink: :vapor: My next big purchase is going to be a gallon of PG to dilute down more Tobaccos so I can retest them. :wub: :laugh:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
A lot of times when I am browsing tobacco flavors I like to read the reviews, even if I have used a flavor extensively. I like to see others take on a flavor but also others share tips and recipes idea's in the review. One flavor I have used a lot of is Latakia. To me its a great moist bold tobacco flavor with a smokeyness flavor that develops with a long steep. The other day I was ordering some and I checked out the reviews and someone posted that it goes well with Perique. This got me thinking, if its goes will with Perique then maybe it will also go well with some Mild Black which is a kinda spicy tobacco blend. So I did some experimenting.

INW Latakia %5
Sig Mild Black %.5

and

INW Latakia %5
Perique %.5

5 Hour UC steep, vaped in a STM at 25 watts. The Latakia/Mild Black was an awesome vape. I had the same great latakia flavor with a mild spicy undertone that was very enjoyable. The Latakia/Perique was also very good. The Perique is a strong flavor and even at a 1/2 percent it changed the flavor. It still has a rich moist tobacco flavor in the inhale but the exhale became a moist almost hayish flavor reminiscent of Highway but with the Perique flavor. Its is also a very good vape. Both of them are now what I consider exotic vapes that will be kept on my juice rack.

So two clear winners in my opinion from browsing flavor reviews on vendors websites. Check them out yall, never know what might inspire your tobacco mixing.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

7% 7 leaves (FA)
1% Inawara Garuda TA
1% TFA Blueberry Wild

2% SC Cohiba
2% Inawara Garuda TA

3% Arabic HS
1% Garuda TA Inawara
1% Kentucky bourbon TFA

3% Tobacco Virginia INW
3% Burly Tobacco INW
1% Garuda TA INW

So happy it's worked out for you. So tell me any of them close to an ADV yet?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
That is why an ultrasonic cleaner is very helpful for DIY. 5 hours UC steeping is like a couple weeks sitting for me. In my opinion nothing makes up for a long term steep but a UC will get you a lot closer to determining if a batch is going to be a keeper or not in a short period of time. I have before taken a tobacco juice and gave it 10 hours in the UC, then let it sit for a week and when I go to vape it, its like it has been steeping for a couple months.

Never a truer word spoken. Also a few hours in a crock pot heated to 150F will do the trick. Speeds the steeping process up quite a bit. It's said that 1 hour of heat steeping equals 1 week of natural steeping. After the heat steeping process let it sit a day or 2. When heat or UC steeping be sure to use glass bottles.

gone3uo6

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2015
Pocomoke City, MD
gone3uo6.blogspot.com
Magnetic stirrer / stirring bar also is an excellent way to speed things up. I believe mad scientist made a mentioning of this method several pages back. I opted to make a DIY stirrer with a PC case fan and hard drive magnets. There are heated stirrers available too.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Magnetic stirrer / stirring bar also is an excellent way to speed things up. I believe mad scientist made a mentioning of this method several pages back. I opted to make a DIY stirrer with a PC case fan and hard drive magnets. There are heated stirrers available too.

I heard of them but never actually seen one. Post a pic of your setup if you dont mind, would be interesting to see it.

Reactions: Dixie1954

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
So happy it's worked out for you. So tell me any of them close to an ADV yet?
Well, my vaping style is not that of a ADV'er. Just drip until it gets boring and change it up is my style. With that said, the 30 mils of the Cohiba blend is just about gone so that would qualify as a keeper in my book. The Arabic and bourbon is also one I can't seem to put down once I start so yeah, that might be a keeper as well. Although I put it away to see how it does with a little age under its belt. The same with the other blends, taking the advice given and letting them sit a while; will taste a little each week to see how they develop. I did make up 5 mil testers of eight different tobaccos today though. Want to see how each one tastes individually. Now, have to look into getting a UC to help speed things along.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I am getting a nice pop out of my tobacco flavors by adding a tiny bit of Red Cola to the mix. Believe it or not, the two really go well together. 1% or less cola will do. You can barely taste it, and yet it gives the tobacco an earthy, robust flavor. Who knows, maybe I will start using it as a substitute for tobacco absolute. It certainly has more flavor than some of the TA's I have tried.

Last edited:

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Finally got around to tasting INW Gold Ducat. That hint of honey to it is amazing. Going to have to mix a large batch of this!

Mixed at %5, max VG. Vaping it in a subtank at 40 watts. Taste like a pipe tobacco with a hint of honey.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Finally got around to tasting INW Gold Ducat. That hint of honey to it is amazing. Going to have to mix a large batch of this!

Mixed at %5, max VG. Vaping it in a subtank at 40 watts. Taste like a pipe tobacco with a hint of honey.
Yet another report of a hint of honey. I've never tried it higher than 3% though. I may have to give 5% a try the next time I mix some.

Reactions: Dixie1954

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Yet another report of a hint of honey. I've never tried it higher than 3% though. I may have to give 5% a try the next time I mix some.

There is no doubt it has a honey flavor to it and this is the first time I ever had a honey taste in a vape but it is very enjoyable. I am going to mix up a 10 ml batch and try a drop of Dark Tobacco and see what it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread