• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Favorite Veg Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Ok, I just have to share with you all, especially now that we have a forum. :) Here are my current favorite veg foods, by category:

• Best Veg Frozen Meal: Amy's Tofu Scramble (either version)
  • Best Veg Snack-Sweet: Betty Lou's Krispy Bites (yummy!)
  • Best Veg Snack-Savory: Primal Strips meatless jerky
  • Best Veg Restaurant Dish: Ratner's Veggie Griller southwest style with black bean adobo sauce, fresh avocado and pepper jack cheese and greens on wheat bun (Blue Planet Natural Grill)
  • Best Veg Recipe: Steamed broccoli sauted with garlic, toasted pine nuts, organic olive oil and seitan
What are your favorites???

wallawally

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lehi, UT
ok this could be fun!

fav frozen food-rico, green chili seitan burrito mmm so good and local

fav boxed food-taste bites, bengal lentils (indian cuisine)

fav sweet treat-annies, org bunny fruit snacks

fav savory treat-soy nuts, hickory smoked

fav restaurant meal-sages cafe,(app) mushroom escargot (meal) ginger bbq seitan over parsnip puree (desert) vegan tiramisu (IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN UTAH GO TO SAGES CAFE)

fav recipe- mack and yeast i make this at least once a week!

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Tofurky Italian Sausages
Hands down fantastic.

I do love the Tofurky line of products, esp the hickory smoked slices. Mmmmm! I haven't had the italian sausages, I'll have to try them!

ok this could be fun!

fav frozen food-rico, green chili seitan burrito mmm so good and local

fav boxed food-taste bites, bengal lentils (indian cuisine)

fav sweet treat-annies, org bunny fruit snacks

fav savory treat-soy nuts, hickory smoked

fav restaurant meal-sages cafe,(app) mushroom escargot (meal) ginger bbq seitan over parsnip puree (desert) vegan tiramisu (IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN UTAH GO TO SAGES CAFE)

fav recipe- mack and yeast i make this at least once a week!

Glad to hear the taste bites are good, I bought a couple recently and have them in the pantry. I've only recently been enjoying indian cuisine, maybe because I've actually been exposed to some good homemade indian food from my coworker. She brought in some idly and chutney and let me take the leftovers home. :D

Ok, if you're game please start a recipe thread and post yours for the mack and yeast. Please? :hubba: I'd love to make this! Bought a big can of the yeast lately so perfect timing! I'm sure I could find one online but since you're a chef it'd be great to go with a tried and true recipe for it.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Has anybody tried the shirataki noodles? We use them a lot,they are great and low-carb!

Hmmm, I know I've seen them b4 but can't remember where. Probably whole paycheck but not sure. I'll have to keep an eye out, they seem like a great alternative to pasta! :thumb:

Guess I never noticed exactly what they were before.

wallawally

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lehi, UT
Ok, if you're game please start a recipe thread and post yours for the mack and yeast. Please? :hubba: I'd love to make this! Bought a big can of the yeast lately so perfect timing! I'm sure I could find one online but since you're a chef it'd be great to go with a tried and true recipe for it.

haha i will give it a try i dont usually right home recipies down but what the heck!

o and the tasty bites dont even compare to good indian food, but they are good and quick!:D

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
For sausages I always liked the Boca Italian and Smoked. Doesn't seem that Boca is making sausages any more though which bums me out.

You're right, it's been a while since I've seen the Boca snaussages. The brautwurst were my faves. Hmmm, just checked the Boca site and they're not on the product list so looks like they're gone. :(

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
one more thing if you guys like the tofurky stuff check this out! Field Roast Grain Meat Co.

it is the best in my book!

Thanks for the site, now I realize that whole paycheck is *not* making those 'Porcini Dijon Cutlets' in their deli case... Field Roast is! Those are really good.

I did pick up some smoked apple sage sausages by mistake, I meant to buy the italian. They were good in a different way, but not what I wanted. I'll have to pick some up again and check out some of their other products. I'm interested in finding the gravy!

wallawally

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2009
Lehi, UT
Thanks for the site, now I realize that whole paycheck is *not* making those 'Porcini Dijon Cutlets' in their deli case... Field Roast is! Those are really good.

I did pick up some smoked apple sage sausages by mistake, I meant to buy the italian. They were good in a different way, but not what I wanted. I'll have to pick some up again and check out some of their other products. I'm interested in finding the gravy!

i haven't tried the gravy, but i do really like the roasts and the chipotle sausage

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
My favorite foods are usually the ones I make ;)

My daughter is addicted to MorningStar Chikn Patties though.

I make seitan sausages and have been experimenting with different ways of making them. The first time I made "pepperoni" it was spot on. I've tried to make it a few times since and it's been ok, but not as great as the first time. I need to learn to write things down as I'm cooking. It's missing a dash of something I threw into it and I can't for the life of me remember what that dash was!

I get a lot of inspiration from this guy: V e g a n D a d

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
If you want to make good gravy, use G Washington seasoning to make a base broth, add some olive oil for fat, browning sauce or Kitchen Bouquet and a rue or corn starch to thicken. I made "chicken" gravy for the Morningstar Chik Patties this way for years. I still use it to make gravies, even though I eat chicken again, lol! No animal products in it.

newsmallgwash.jpg

Lipton Beefy Onion makes a great brown gravy and "meatloaf" seasoning or Salisbury Steaks (grilled veggie burger patties in "beef" & mushroom gravy) and has no animal products in it, either.

I used Gimme Lean for meatloaf, as it stuck together really well for meatloaf.
gimme_lean.jpg

I made sage and sausage thanksgiving stuffing by finely chopping Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage and adding it to the stuffing, along with minced celery, onion and mushrooms and a couple of packets of G Washington Golden. My stuffing was always gobbled down (pun intended) before the real stuffing.

With a variation of that, I always missed corned beef hash after I stopped eating beef. So I make it using minced breakfast patties, diced potatoes, onions, peppers and Spike Seasoning. Of course, I add some olive oil and a dollop of lite butter for some fat - otherwise it's a bit dry. My family loves it.

Add some chopped breakfast patties to country gravy over Chik Patties for some "Chicken Fried Chicken" or biscuits & country gravy (my husband's favorite.)

Being in Wisconsin, I never could give up cheese and other dairy, though! But now I use only family farm/organic - happy cows and all that. :D

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
I've made some pretty good homemade seitan and some duds. VeganDad makes the best looking seitan buffalo wings but mine come out more like bread than meat. I'll figure that one out one day.

Tonight I chopped up some left over pepperoni seitan from the other night with some mushrooms, mixed it in with ricotta (not vegan) and a spoonful of pesto - stuffed it in pasta shells and drizzled marinara sauce over the top. Yes, it was damn good.

Balousch

Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Best Vegan Frozen Meal: Kashi Mayan Bake (plantains + yams = yum)
Best Vegan Snack-Sweet: Mahalo (basically a vegan Almond Joy!)
Best Vegan Snack-Savory: Primal Spirit Foods Meatless Jerky - Thai Peanut Seitan (amazing, especially on a hike)
Best Vegan Restaurant Dish: Basil-Pesto / Cashew Cheese / Veggie Pizza (from a restaurant in Denver, Colorado called City O' City)
Best Vegan Recipe: Tofu-Veggie-Cashew Cheese Lasagna (my mom actually created it for me for my birthday once, rather amazing.)

Balousch

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
Mmmmm, I love seitan! I admit to going through the morningstar chicn patties addiction though, so your daughter is not alone. :) I especially love them with potatoes and mushroom gravy. It's like the whole smothered chicken fried steak kind of thing, minus the animal cruelty. ;)
I just tried the new Morning Star Farms Italian seasoned chik patties tonight. Very good....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread