Status
Not open for further replies.

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Trust me i spent a while last night trying to find the link so i can post it for him....all the information regarding ceramics, from compositions to health risk regaurding Ao wicks is in that thread. Hopefully he will continue the search for it or someone will post it....one thread was started by scubabatdan or scubadan, the other by bodan a couple of years ago... Hope that helps.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Trust me i spent a while last night trying to find the link so i can post it for him....all the information regarding ceramics, from compositions to health risk regaurding Ao wicks is in that thread. Hopefully he will continue the search for it or someone will post it....one thread was started by scubabatdan or scubadan, the other by bodan a couple of years ago... Hope that helps.
Hey thanks.... those names do bring back alot of memories , I should of known the links myself but it's been a long time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
There's a thread dedicated to this type of wick, you will find all the information you need on that thread...

I know the thread you're talking about and I do not have time to read every page of the 100+ pages. I even posted a link to it a few posts ago. I am looking for specifics. Thanks for the interest tho. I found that thread to be better about kanthal + FC2000's. If I am actually missing a TC FC2000 thread please share cuz I couldnt find it.

Yes, I have never used Ti wire with either mesh or ceramic and never temp control either , so not sure how it will ultimately wind up. One thing is how you said the cheese cloth doesn't gunk and that's neat because I always thought it was a dumb idea for that very reason. I don't use temp control , but would you switch it off when dry burning? And like you said, what about the cheese cloth when dry burning? I think you will get more vapor once your wick has broken in, at least that's what I remember when the coil didn't come out as tight as I would of liked. As soon as those gaps got closed up with stuff, the vapor started coming. With kanthal I used to get it pretty tight but not as tight as a hot wrap, but with a more pliable wire like SS perhaps, I think that would of helped a lot, but not sure about dry burning SS? If you have to rewick after every dry burn because of the CC, that wouldn't be worth it for sure. Have you tried the rolling paper way?

I am now at about 2.5 weeks with the TI wire wrapped tightly around a 1/8" FC2000 with the CC between the wire and the wick. I am surprised to say I havent had a reason to clean it yet. Looks almost as new as the day I installed it. I will try to post pics tomorrow. The vapor production has improved, not quite as much as with mesh but as Vapdivvr said before once it heats up it produces a lot more vapor. The heat up period has not been an issue to me but some people dont like the heat up time when ive passed it. I can tell you that every person that's tried has told me "Best flavor I've ever had" or " wow, this juice doesnt taste as good out of my tanks" something of that effect. Also the wick just about over wicks, if I chain vap I do need to tip the rig about every 5 big lung fulls but I think that is the only major downfall to the FC2000 that I can find.

When I cleaned mesh and TI wire in the past I would turn it back to Variable Voltage mode and pulse at 6-12W depending on the resistance I was rocking at the time. I am predicting some of the CC will burn off if I let the wire get red. My plan is to used compressed air to try and keep the temps down and still remove the gunk. But if I never need to clean it or... clean it once every month or more this will still be an improvement over the once a week I needed with the mesh set-up. I will not be too upset if I need to rewrap the CC and TI wire if the cleaning intervals are that far apart. I also feel I could boil the whole atomizer with the orings removed and it may come out as good as new with no lose in CC. I have not tried rolling papers or SS wire yet. I may give the SS wire a go in the near future just out of curiosity. So far I am impressed and I feel with some more tweeking this will be my all day set-up.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I know the thread you're talking about and I do not have time to read every page of the 100+ pages. I even posted a link to it a few posts ago. I am looking for specifics. Thanks for the interest tho. I found that thread to be better about kanthal + FC2000's. If I am actually missing a TC FC2000 thread please share cuz I couldnt find it.

I am now at about 2.5 weeks with the TI wire wrapped tightly around a 1/8" FC2000 with the CC between the wire and the wick. I am surprised to say I havent had a reason to clean it yet. Looks almost as new as the day I installed it. I will try to post pics tomorrow. The vapor production has improved, not quite as much as with mesh but as Vapdivvr said before once it heats up it produces a lot more vapor. The heat up period has not been an issue to me but some people dont like the heat up time when ive passed it. I can tell you that every person that's tried has told me "Best flavor I've ever had" or " wow, this juice doesnt taste as good out of my tanks" something of that effect. Also the wick just about over wicks, if I chain vap I do need to tip the rig about every 5 big lung fulls but I think that is the only major downfall to the FC2000 that I can find.

When I cleaned mesh and TI wire in the past I would turn it back to Variable Voltage mode and pulse at 6-12W depending on the resistance I was rocking at the time. I am predicting some of the CC will burn off if I let the wire get red. My plan is to used compressed air to try and keep the temps down and still remove the gunk. But if I never need to clean it or... clean it once every month or more this will still be an improvement over the once a week I needed with the mesh set-up. I will not be too upset if I need to rewrap the CC and TI wire if the cleaning intervals are that far apart. I also feel I could boil the whole atomizer with the orings removed and it may come out as good as new with no lose in CC. I have not tried rolling papers or SS wire yet. I may give the SS wire a go in the near future just out of curiosity. So far I am impressed and I feel with some more tweeking this will be my all day set-up.
You know 2.5 weeks is really good. It must be the temp control because when I vaped the fc wicks, I would have to dry burn every few days, or at least, once a week. I may be wrong but it is possible that you are getting slightly less vapor because of the cc. I know the cc helps in one way, but may reduce vapor. The ramp up time wasn't that big of a deal to me either but I did prefer the smaller fc wicks (which they discontinued ) they were literally like tooth pics, maybe 3/64 or something. They were indeed fragile but once they were humming, they were terrific. Are the 1/8 fc wicks still grooved? I know just as I started to get out of the genny thing, the fc wicks went from plain surface to grooved. Also the white wicks were really good but we're hard to get. Anyways it is a terrific flavor and like you said, the flavor is the best. I'm glad it's going good and maybe next time try without cc.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016

BadInfluence, I am sorry I didnt turn the page yesterday haha... I'm a rookie at forums it seems. Thanks for this link I dont know if I perused this one to it's full extent. I will be surprised if I find stuff on TC with these but I am going to try looking agian. Mainly the 300+ pages scared me away. Needle in a haystack.... if you will. I found this forum when I started looking into the ceramic wicks because I was having a problem with shorts... found out it was wrapping practice and not really the mesh's fault.

You know 2.5 weeks is really good. It must be the temp control because when I vaped the fc wicks, I would have to dry burn every few days, or at least, once a week. I may be wrong but it is possible that you are getting slightly less vapor because of the cc. I know the cc helps in one way, but may reduce vapor. The ramp up time wasn't that big of a deal to me either but I did prefer the smaller fc wicks (which they discontinued ) they were literally like tooth pics, maybe 3/64 or something. They were indeed fragile but once they were humming, they were terrific. Are the 1/8 fc wicks still grooved? I know just as I started to get out of the genny thing, the fc wicks went from plain surface to grooved. Also the white wicks were really good but we're hard to get. Anyways it is a terrific flavor and like you said, the flavor is the best. I'm glad it's going good and maybe next time try without cc.

The FC-2000's I have are slightly more coarse than I would like so I have been sanding them down pretty well. I think it's a good idea to try w/o the CC next. I am not sure what you mean by grooved, I dont think so. I ordered some white ones, but they didnt tell me the size and they showed up way over 1/8" and I cannot use them. If anyone wants them let me know. I am thinking about re-wrapping my coil soon anyways as the coil thats on right now is pretty ugly and can probably be improved with some more patience. Couple pics of my wick after 2.5 weeks. Little gunked but no difference in vape or taste.
IMG_0259.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
BadInfluence, I am sorry I didnt turn the page yesterday haha... I'm a rookie at forums it seems. Thanks for this link I dont know if I perused this one to it's full extent. I will be surprised if I find stuff on TC with these but I am going to try looking agian. Mainly the 300+ pages scared me away. Needle in a haystack.... if you will. I found this forum when I started looking into the ceramic wicks because I was having a problem with shorts... found out it was wrapping practice and not really the mesh's fault.

The FC-2000's I have are slightly more coarse than I would like so I have been sanding them down pretty well. I think it's a good idea to try w/o the CC next. I am not sure what you mean by grooved, I dont think so. I ordered some white ones, but they didnt tell me the size and they showed up way over 1/8" and I cannot use them. If anyone wants them let me know. I am thinking about re-wrapping my coil soon anyways as the coil thats on right now is pretty ugly and can probably be improved with some more patience. Couple pics of my wick after 2.5 weeks. Little gunked but no difference in vape or taste. View attachment 543392 View attachment 543394
Yes they actually had grooves from top to bottom, these grooves were kind of deep and went completely around. When they came out the groove less ones were harder to find. Maybe they stopped making them and went back to the plain ones. The grooves seem to wick better to me but took a little longer to break in. Yes if you could possibly sand the white ones down to fit, I think you would find them better but that may not be easy.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Yes they actually had grooves from top to bottom, these grooves were kind of deep and went completely around. When they came out the groove less ones were harder to find. Maybe they stopped making them and went back to the plain ones. The grooves seem to wick better to me but took a little longer to break in. Yes if you could possibly sand the white ones down to fit, I think you would find them better but that may not be easy.

I am curious about the grooved ones now... may have to scour the internet.

I tried your advise and wrapped w/o the CC. So far its working better than ever. Thick clouds and seems to have eliminated the heat up period... kind of weird and exciting. I tried two things, removed the CC and wrapped my coil with a lot less space between the coils. I saw how pretty any tightly spaced Vaslovik's coils were on a different post and wanted to see if I could do that... I have to say I failed at getting the coil as pretty as hers are but it gives me a goal. I think the no CC has eliminated my cleaning fears, and the tight spacing allows my coils to heat up faster and more evenly... win win. Time for the test of time.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I am curious about the grooved ones now... may have to scour the internet.

I tried your advise and wrapped w/o the CC. So far its working better than ever. Thick clouds and seems to have eliminated the heat up period... kind of weird and exciting. I tried two things, removed the CC and wrapped my coil with a lot less space between the coils. I saw how pretty any tightly spaced Vaslovik's coils were on a different post and wanted to see if I could do that... I have to say I failed at getting the coil as pretty as hers are but it gives me a goal. I think the no CC has eliminated my cleaning fears, and the tight spacing allows my coils to heat up faster and more evenly... win win. Time for the test of time.
I remember my first goes with ceramic and I thought it was pretty good, but once I got it absolutely perfect, it was amazing! If your liking it now, I'm sure it's going to be better as it breaks in even more.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Also dont cross out the white ones, they work better than the fc2000, just sand them down by hand with a diamond burl disk...
I agree, the white ones were better. They were coming out as I was getting out of ceramics and we're hard to get. I did eventually get one that some one sent me and I thought they wicked much bettet

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
I have had my coil set up for a week now. Heres the pics. It's definitely a little gunked and about due for a cleaning. I have been using this and only this daily to see how it handles. The Vapor production has leveled out to a satisfying level, its not a anything to write home about for production but I think it would satisfy most genny users. The flavor is still unparalleled to anything I have tried. She has been a little hit or miss though, for some reason it hits differently every day, even when I am using the same juice. This has confused me slightly. I am not sure if I am going to continue using ceramics for my Temp control mod... I am starting to lean towards going back to mesh. The vapor production alone when using mesh is a huge difference, with the mesh its thick thick clouds, hard to hit it for more than a few seconds. The ceramic is more on the lines of, 1st 8 sec pull kinda weak, second 8 sec pull is good, 3rd+ pulls are nice dense clouds. I have found some white ceramic wicks but they are like 3/16-1/4" diameter and i dont think I could sand them enough, or if I do it would take awhile by hand. More time is needed for a conclusion.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    319.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 24

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have had my coil set up for a week now. Heres the pics. It's definitely a little gunked and about due for a cleaning. I have been using this and only this daily to see how it handles. The Vapor production has leveled out to a satisfying level, its not a anything to write home about for production but I think it would satisfy most genny users. The flavor is still unparalleled to anything I have tried. She has been a little hit or miss though, for some reason it hits differently every day, even when I am using the same juice. This has confused me slightly. I am not sure if I am going to continue using ceramics for my Temp control mod... I am starting to lean towards going back to mesh. The vapor production alone when using mesh is a huge difference, with the mesh its thick thick clouds, hard to hit it for more than a few seconds. The ceramic is more on the lines of, 1st 8 sec pull kinda weak, second 8 sec pull is good, 3rd+ pulls are nice dense clouds. I have found some white ceramic wicks but they are like 3/16-1/4" diameter and i dont think I could sand them enough, or if I do it would take awhile by hand. More time is needed for a conclusion.
Sounds like your describing the heat sink issue of the ceramic, maybe that's why it takes a few long pulls to get it heating up enough to produce the better vapor. I found that the ceramic wouldn't produce properly if there were gaps between the wire and wick, and I had to look at those gaps with my magnifying visor to see it properly. What I thought was a tight wrap , sometimes was not. That is the biggest key with using these rods, if there were any tiny gaps, the performance was hindered alot. As for the heat sink, a bit more power was needed but if the coil wasn't perfectly tight, that extra power could create dry hits. I have been out of ceramics for a long time and my experience with them is probably out dated, it probably would be worth reading along on the current threads for new information

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
You need to buy yourself this block, use a dermal with a nice size (large) diamond burl disk to cut your own wicks. Buying them is not the way to go. they are fragile and break so it isnt cost affective.

If your dripping there are ceramic cores that you can buy on Ebay to be used with regulated mods.
They're the same cores used in the Ccell coil heads and can be bought at $20 for ten.
Ceramic Core 0.5 ohm coil for RDA - 10 Pack

I know you like gennys fron the pictures so this is what you need to get started. Keep in mind that making them isnt easy, thats whay you dont see tham as much now a days. Never the less its an awesome vape once broken in....

Ceramic block to make at least 30 wicks. Enjoy your journey!

Reactions: vapdivrr

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You need to buy yourself this block, use a dermal with a nice size (large) diamond burl disk to cut your own wicks. Buying them is not the way to go. they are fragile and break so it isnt cost affective.

If your dripping there are ceramic cores that you can buy on Ebay to be used with regulated mods.
They're the same cores used in the Ccell coil heads and can be bought at $20 for ten.
Ceramic Core 0.5 ohm coil for RDA - 10 Pack

I know you like gennys fron the pictures so this is what you need to get started. Keep in mind that making them isnt easy, thats whay you dont see tham as much now a days. Never the less its an awesome vape once broken in....

Ceramic block to make at least 30 wicks. Enjoy your journey!

I have seen some use the ceramic in fish tank motors but not this... pretty cool because I am a tile setter and have used that Blick before but never thought to use it as a wick

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Yea that looks like a lot of work, and although not out of my comfort zone I am not sure it will be worth it. That being said thanks a bunch for the interest. I also broke down and made a SS mesh wick for my kraken, although not on a temp controlled device. I tried a couple other things Ive picked up over the three months of tweaking with ceramics, and this mesh setup is damn near perfect. I dont want to give up on ceramics just yet but the lack of availability and people I can find that use them is making me second guess the overall performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread