FDA: Adverse Events Related to E-Cigarettes Are Almost Nonexistent

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaNoob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Holiday, Florida
actually reading the AEs they list I have to disagree with some of the articles content. Now I am not saying that E-Cigarettes are causing cancer. However, all of th mentioned reactions could be caused by contents of the e-liquid. As some parties have sensetivity to the ingredients. That being said I still find it to be very minor compared to analogs. Also it is like saying someone had an allergic reaction because they tried PBJ flavored e-liquid and they are allergic to peanuts. Just common sense is all.

I would much rather suffer the mild reactions of being sensetive to PG than the reactions that chantix causes, though. :D

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Notice how the FDA's author conveniently failed to cite (or compare) the number of Adverse Event reports for NRT products, Chantix, other prescrition drugs, OTC drugs, household cleaning products, alcohol, food, cosmetics, toys or many other common household consumer products.

Considering that at least 100 million e-cigarette products have been sold and consumed in the US since 2006, 57 adverse event reports is amazingly low (i.e. less than one in a million).

Also, its important to note that most AE reports are coincidences, and not cause and effect relationships.

For example, if someone is admitted to a hospital with a heart attack, stroke or disease, and if the patient (when filing out an admission form or when being interviewed) reports recent use of an e-cigarette, many doctors (especially those who heard FDA propaganda about e-cigs and/or those who saw FDA's webpage encouraging people to submit AE reports for e-cigs) would report this to FDA as an AE associated with e-cigarettes.

milo hobo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Lake Charles La
I almost want to start a compaign to get everyone to list on the FDA's AE list the common side-effect of "Decreased desire to smoke cigarettes, improved lung capacity, and improved sense of smell + taste, as well as improved blood pressure, ad etc". I think that they might get the message if they had to comb through that a couple hundred or even thousand times.

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
Bob stated:
"For example, if someone is admitted to a hospital with a heart attack, stroke or disease, and if the patient (when filing out an admission form or when being interviewed) reports recent use of an e-cigarette, many doctors (especially those who heard FDA propaganda about e-cigs and/or those who saw FDA's webpage encouraging people to submit AE reports for e-cigs) would report this to FDA as an AE associated with e-cigarettes."

I think for statistics to be accurate when a patient reports that they smoke and is reporting symtoms of "heart attack, stroke, congestion, etc." then an Adverse Event should be filed under the "Other Tobacco Products" column.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The closer we get to April ...
The more we come to grips with the FDA's "mindset" regarding e-cigarettes.

Mindset
A mindset is a set of assumptions, methods, or notations held by one or more people or groups of people that is so established that it creates a powerful incentive within these people or groups to continue to adopt or accept prior behaviors, choices, or tools. This phenomenon is also sometimes described as mental inertia, "groupthink", or a "paradigm", and it is often difficult to counteract its effects upon analysis and decision making processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread