FDA and e-cigarettes: Your action needed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Hi all,

Periodically we ask that our members spend a few minutes doing some campaigning to ensure that e-cigarettes are available to all who need or want them.

Today is such a time.

The FDA has long fought a battle to prevent you from accessing e-cigs. Up to now they've been thwarted by legal decisions and the hard campaigning work done by CASAA and others.

Recently, the FDA held a public hearing (Dec 17 2012) which was attended by members of CASAA, ECF members and public health professionals. The testimony from this will be used as input for a report to Congress, required by the tobacco Act - in addition, written comments will also be used providing they are received by Jan 16th 2013 - this is where, you, ECF members come in.

Please, take some time to submit your comments, either electronically or by post (ideally both). It cannot be overstated how important these submissions are, and this is your opportunity to make a real difference to the future of vaping in the United States.

CASAA have issued a call to action, which I recommend you read. For convenience sake, I will copy here their suggestions for content as well as details of how to submit your comments.

Submitting

Electronically: Regulations.gov - Choose the "Comment Now!" button at the top.

Please note that you are limited to 2000 characters, so you may want upload a file instead. I suggest you prepare your document in a wordprocessor, and if it runs less than 2000 characters, cut and past into the comment box. If over 2000, save the file and upload it via the "choose file" button on the comments page.

In the "enter information" fields, please enter "individual" for organization, and select "individual consumer" from the category field (it's the last one on the list) - unless you are representing an organization, of course!

By Mail: Please send to
Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305),
Food and Drug Administration,
5630 Fishers Lane,
Rm. 1061,
Rockville,
MD 20852.

Make sure to Identify your written submission comments with the docket number [Docket No. FDA-2012-N-1148]. I suggest using a cover page, as well as a header on each page, and also
mark the Docket No. on the envelope.

Comment Suggestions

1. Describe your history as a smoker: When did you start? How long did you smoke? How much did you smoke?

2. Describe your quitting attempts: How many times did you try to quit? What different products and methods did you try? What did you like and dislike about the products or methods you tried?

3. If you stopped smoking completely some time in the past and experienced problems such as feeling depressed and/or anxious, getting along with others, concentrating, remembering, etc. describe those experiences.

4. Describe the effects switching to e-cigarettes has had on how much you smoke now.

5. Describe the health effects you have experienced as a result of switching to e-cigarettes (and/or snus).

6. Tell the FDA that there should not be any time limit on using NRTs, but that it would be better to raise the amount of nicotine each piece provides than to have people use multiple types of products.

7. Tell the FDA that innovative products such as e-cigarettes should not be made less effective by setting nicotine doses too low.

8. If you use e-liquid (or snus) that has a pleasant flavor added (such as fruit, candy, beverage), tell the FDA that this has helped you and describe how.

9. Urge the FDA to not propose the "deeming" regulation because it would ban e-cigarettes, and would sharply increase the price and reduce accessibility of the products even if FDA exempted e-cigarettes from the most onerous provisions in Chapter IX.

10. Ask the FDA to remove text from its web site that is inaccurate and/or misleading.

· For example, many people believe that e-cigarettes are very likely to cause cancer or poison the user because the FDA “forgot” to mention that the amount of carcinogens detected in liquid are no higher than in pharmaceutical nicotine products such as the patch and gum, and that the only toxin detected was in an amount that has never been shown to endanger health.

· Many people that might have switched to snus, which is much less hazardous to health than smoking, but they were convinced to continue smoking instead by the misleading statement “This product is not a safe alternative to smoking.

Many thanks to Elaine, Kristin and all the other members of CASAA who have done so much to ensure that vapers can continue to use electronic cigarette products. Let's hope the FDA sees sense and realises that ecigs and other harm reduction products are an essential part in the battle against smoking related harm. And let's also hope that your right to choose is not trampled on by a body that is not acting in your best interests.

Please, act now.

see also: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...mit-written-comments-sec-918-tobacco-act.html

Edit: Adding new link

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FDA-2012-N-1148

Last edited:

mikejm

Moved On
Dec 5, 2012
United States
Submitted:

With regards to electronic cigarettes, I began using them over teo years ago. I had a 30 year 2 pack a day habit and I was one of the ones who was able to immediately and completely switch from smoking to "vaping". I would be very angry if the government at this point forced me to resume smoking because electronic cigarettes were no longer available. My health and well being has improved as a result of my decision to switch. The e-cigarrete industry should be very loosely regulated or not regulated at all because under the current status quo more people have been helped with these unregulated products than under the heavily regulated pharmaceutical industry which deceives the public with ineffective and over priced NRT's and other useless wares.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
This was the last commentary I added to the discussion:

Let me keep this short and sweet. Electronic cigarettes have saved my life. They also helped better my mother's life a former 40 year smoker. Instead of my story let me paraphrase hers. All my childhood I remember my mother tried. Patches, gum, you name it, she tried it. Then my Dad got level 4 lung cancer. Somehow by the grace of his stubborn nature he lived and is still with us today. My mom tried to quit many times then too, with the stress of the hospitol radiataing my father's lung to death untill they were burnt, and chemothreapy, she still kept smoking. Her husband of 25 years dying in front of her eyes still could not help her stop. Yet a little over a year ago I ended up using an electronic cigarette. My mother saw my sucess and it worked for her too. Now the smell of cigarettes is nausating to her, shocked she use to smell like that. Now instead of being in-able to breathe sometimes during the night, my mother can sleep peacefully. Let there be alternatives. Study, in truth those alternatives, not in bias. People do not deserve to suffer the pain, the horror that is cancer not only on them but for all of their loved ones who must witness the anguish. My father is still damaged, 10 years later, from chemothreapy and radition. Think of your loved ones. Your friends. There needs to be more support for reduced harm alternatives in America. The quit or die mentality is killing people. Will that blood be on your hands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread