FDA FDA announces 3rd so-called Public Workshop on Electronic Cigarettes and Public Health on June 1 & 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2014
USA
Yes..how long before they make it available i don't know..but it will be posted on the same website. They are at lunch right now but thus far, day 2 has been pretty interesting so far and well worth watching IMO.

Although I had heard that nothing said today will inform the FDA on their decision. I could be wrong.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Although I had heard that nothing said today will inform the FDA on their decision. I could be wrong.
You are correct, this conference is not meant to inform the FDA at all, they said it in the opening remarks yesterday, and in all of the info leading up to it. What it's meant to do, other than give the impression that they're taking a fair and balanced look at the issue, I'm not sure.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
...and admittedly a bit surprised by a few things Spike Babaian had to say.
I have been away and have not been able to watch, and certainly can't catch up now.
Can you elaborate on your comment above?

I am fascinated that Spikey was chosen to present.
And very curious as to how she came off.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
At the end of the presentations they have a Q&A period, I was taken aback when she referred to herself as the devil during introductions and disclosures, that was kinda cringe worthy. She was not given a lot of opportunity to participate but she jumped in where she could. I feel she represented herself well and presented her responses in a clear and concise manner. She presented how her business handles labeling and addressed flavors using plain black labels, no pictures or graphics/designs of any kind with coding for flavors vs names on any labels, geared toward not being attractive to youth but I was surprised at her statement regarding e-liquids made "in-house" at local B&M vape shops basically saying it was was not right/unsanitary, (I am not debating here if it is fact or not) just that she said it and the way she said it was surprising to me. She did go toe to toe with the njoy guy for a moment over cigalikes which was interesting.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Here's my three minute presentation during the public comment period.

FDA Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health: A Public Workshop

June 1 & 2, 2015

Testimony by

William T Godshall, MPH
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
BillGodshall@verizon.net

I’m Bill Godshall, founder and executive director of Smokefree Pennsylvania. Since 1990, we’ve successfully campaigned to ban smoking in workplaces, stop cigarette marketing to youth, increase cigarette tax rates, and require the FDA to impose a regulation for large color graphic warnings on all cigarette packs, which the FDA doesn’t deem important.

In 2010 we filed an amicus brief with other public health advocates opposing FDA’s e-cig import ban with the DC Court of Appeals, which upheld Judge Richard Leon’s 2010 ruling striking down FDA’s ban as unlawful.

Since 2011, we’ve opposed the FDA’s proposed “deeming” regulation because it would ban >99.9% of nicotine vapor products, protect cigarettes, increase smoking, threaten the lives of several million vapers and tens of millions of smokers, and create a huge black market for totally unregulated vapor products.

For disclosure, neither Smokefree Pennsylvania nor I have ever received any funding from any tobacco, drug or vapor product company, nor from any government agency whose policy is to ban vapor products, which is also a conflict of interest.

The scientific and empirical evidence consistently finds nicotine vapor products are 99% (+/-1%) less hazardous than cigarettes, have never been associated with any disease, and pose no known risks to nonusers.

Nicotine vapor products have already replaced >3 Billion packs of cigarettes, and >99% of nicotine vapor products are consumed by smokers or by ex-smokers who switched to vapor products, which are more effective and pose fewer risks than FDA approved smoking cessation drugs.

Adult and teen surveys consistently find that smokers and ex-smokers account for >90% of past 30 day e-cig users. It appears that >99% of daily vapers are smokers or ex-smokers who switched to vaping, but DHHS funded surveys still don’t inquire about daily vaping or even if nicotine was vaped, which has only served to bury the truth.

Two recent surveys found that 3 and 4 million US smokers respectively are no longer regular smokers because they switched to vapor products. Thus, it is mathematically impossible for vapor products to harm overall public health, even if every nonsmoker in America began vaping daily.

And yet, there’s no evidence vapor products have created daily dependence in any nonsmoker, nor is there any evidence vaping has served as a gateway to daily cigarette smoking for anyone.

But since 2009, the FDA and CDC have made many false and misleading fear mongering claims to confuse, scare and lobby to ban these lifesaving products under the deceitful guise of protecting children and public health. Dozens of DHHS funding recipients have also misrepresented the scientific evidence to scare the public to lobby to ban vapor products and/or vaping, including most presenters and panelists FDA has invited to speak at its three so-called public workshops on e-cigarettes.

The FDA should stop protecting cigarettes, and begin to protect public health.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
At the end of the presentations they have a Q&A period, I was taken aback when she referred to herself as the devil during introductions and disclosures, that was kinda cringe worthy. She was not given a lot of opportunity to participate but she jumped in where she could. I feel she represented herself well and presented her responses in a clear and concise manner. She presented how her business handles labeling and addressed flavors using plain black labels, no pictures or graphics/designs of any kind with coding for flavors vs names on any labels, geared toward not being attractive to youth but I was surprised at her statement regarding e-liquids made "in-house" at local B&M vape shops basically saying it was was not right/unsanitary, (I am not debating here if it is fact or not) just that she said it and the way she said it was surprising to me. She did go toe to toe with the NJoy guy for a moment over cigalikes which was interesting.
Your assessment is exactly how I saw it. :)
The bit about in-house mixed juices kind of irked me for a moment, but then I reconsidered. Since she had the moxie to show up and show up well, it's only deserving that she could show how her particular company handles some of the issues. A commercial of sorts.

Reactions: YoursTruli

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I care about the scientific research regarding things i am putting in my body..this is what i find most important about these workshops.

I agree the research presented was really important me to on a few different levels both personally and to see what we are up against regulations wise. It is a shame to me that most all of the studies presented were incomplete, situational and slanted, granted most studies set out to prove or disprove a certain position/belief/theory but in all seriousness the vast majority presented here were not studies as we generally think of scientific studies, a lot of basic incomplete research.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, IMO, Carl Phillips is coming off terribly. Snark and personal attacks come off very badly in this venue. :(
Carl Phillips is not necessarily known for being "professional" with his words.
And the same might be said for Spikey as well.

Which is why I wonder why they were the ones invited to attend.

I will never denounce either for their opinions, their efforts, or their tactics.
I side with them almost always.

But yeah, why them?
Why only them?

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
As occurred at the FDA's first two e-cig workshops, the most objective, informative and entertaining part of the third FDA workshop was the public comment period. Among the 11 presenters, 7 of us were vaping advocates, 3 were ANTZ, and Scott Ballin gave his same speech.

They only gave us 3 minutes per person (since 19 people signed up to speak), but only 11 of us showed up (as it appears some ANTZ have been signing up and then not showing up just to reduce the time vaping advocates are allowed to speak).

This workshop was by far the worst of the three (for accurate and objective presentations about scientific evidence on vapor products), as FDA waited to invite many of their least honest and objective funded junk scientists and propagandists to present at this workshop.

Had FDA been truly interested in the scientific evidence on vaping, they wouldn't have rejected requests to present by many of the world's leading experts, and they wouldn't have stacked all three workshops with DHHS funded presenters and panelists who misrepresented the evidence to demonize e-cigs and lobby for the deeming reg and many other unwarranted regulation.

But then again, the only reason FDA held these three workshops is so they tell the news media, members of Congress and eventually federal judges that they conducted extensive scientific reviews on e-cigs before imposing the deeming regulation (that would ban >99.9% of all nicotine vapor products now on the market).

These were never intended as scientific events by the FDA, but rather lobbying events to promote the deeming regulation, and to cover up the agencies many lies about e-cigs and their proposed regulation (er ban).

Last edited:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Your assessment is exactly how I saw it. :)
The bit about in-house mixed juices kind of irked me for a moment, but then I reconsidered. Since she had the moxie to show up and show up well, it's only deserving that she could show how her particular company handles some of the issues. A commercial of sorts.

Basically she is a realist in both how she is handling her business and in her responses to the questions presented. She sees what the main attacks on vaping and the e-cig industry are and the progression of those in opposition and has adjusted her business practices accordingly to (hopefully) survive, she is being business smart.

If you think about there are no other products made for human consumption/use that are not regulated, I can only pray they base the coming regulations on fact vs supposition/what if's or emotion but that doesn't seem likely given the current atmosphere. Those that have fought hard the fight to wipe out tobacco all of these years heads have exploded over ecigs/vaping and they are not taking it laying down, they know how to fight this because they have a long history of doing so. It does not feel to me like we have enough voices on our side to push for any sort of promising resolution, but, Bill I really want to thank you personally for taking up the good fight on behalf of all vapers and raising your own voice against that wall of oppression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread