Not open for further replies.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
And this is how they finally kill off all ecigs even if we get the predicate date changed. Simply deem all battery systems as dangerous. Everything current would fail to pass (making a date change moot) and any changes to the battery system would be a PMTA.

Paranoid? Maybe but sometimes they really are out to get you.

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
And this is how they finally kill off all ecigs even if we get the predicate date changed. Simply deem all battery systems as dangerous. Everything current would fail to pass (making a date change moot) and any changes to the battery system would be a PMTA.

Paranoid? Maybe but sometimes they really are out to get you.
Word on the street is Tesla has 2000 18650s in one of their battery packs. Their new model is going to use 26650s. It would be hilarious if the FDA had the ability to restrict battery use. I guess we would have to buy 18650 flashlight batteries or steal them out of Teslas.;D

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It was Nice to see 2 e-Cigarette Retailers (Stakeholder) participating by submitting a Comment to be included into the Public Record.

Regulations.gov

It was though kinda Discouraging to see only 2 Retailers doing so. If Retailers (or OEM's) do Not Submit any Comments, then I guess they are Happy to just let the FDA Decide what type of Battery Should or Shouldn't power an "e-Cigarette".

And do Not Care if the Public Record contains any Pertinent Information that could be used in any Future Litigation.

Reactions: LaraC

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I read every new ecig injury accident story I come across. Virtually all of them involve loose batteries with unprotected terminals or mishandled mech mods. The purpose of the workshop is to spread fear and make political points and reach no conclusions while people continue to get hurt. Then they can say drastic action is necessary because the problem is so intractable. Warning the public is sufficient. They'll never do that because it might work.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Word on the street is Tesla has 2000 18650s in one of their battery packs. Their new model is going to use 26650s. It would be hilarious if the FDA had the ability to restrict battery use. I guess we would have to buy 18650 flashlight batteries or steal them out of Teslas.;D
The Model S has more like 7000 18650s.

The Model 3 will be using a new size: 21700.

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
The Model S has more like 7000 18650s.

The Model 3 will be using a new size: 21700.
Thought it was the 20700's like I am using now.

I read every new ecig injury accident story I come across. Virtually all of them involve loose batteries with unprotected terminals or mishandled mech mods. The purpose of the workshop is to spread fear and make political points and reach no conclusions while people continue to get hurt. Then they can say drastic action is necessary because the problem is so intractable. Warning the public is sufficient. They'll never do that because it might work.

Agreed.

Reactions: Verb

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
From the original post link: (red emphasis mine)

"Topics to be addressed include, for example: (1) Factors that contribute to failure of rechargeable and non-rechargeable ENDS batteries resulting in overheating, fire, explosion, or other modes of failure (this may include factors relating to batteries, charging equipment, components and parts such as voltage and temperature controllers or other circuitry, other ENDS design features, user modification of ENDS, and e-liquids), and what influence these factors have on the mode of failure (e.g., battery overheating versus explosion); (2) safety features (e.g., circuit protection, charging safety features) and battery standards that may be applied to ENDS batteries to limit their potential for overheating, fire, explosion, or other mode of failure; (3) changes, improvements, and innovations to battery and ENDS design that would limit the potential for overheating, fire, explosion, or other mode of failure; (4) other public health risks associated with ENDS batteries (e.g., leakage); (5) ENDS design changes that could mitigate public health risks upon battery failure; (6) battery safety information that is communicated to ENDS consumers and the general public; and (7) best practices to effectively communicate potential risks associated with ENDS batteries to consumers and the general public (e.g., via labeling, instructions for use, warnings)."

Sounds to me like a prelude to non modifiable closed system ecigs only.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sounds to me like a prelude to non modifiable closed system ecigs only.
Yep. Seems like they are seeking further "justification" to refuse to approve PMTAs to any open system components -- assuming anyone is actually willing to submit them.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
rvhgZC1.jpg

Reactions: Rossum

Tufur

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
San Jose, Ca. usa
Flashlight explodes in Colo. man's mouth

Yep. I had to read that title twice too.

With "life" being as dangerous as it is... it's probably best if we all just stay inside. Under our beds. Until we die.
I am speechless. I went right to my Chinese knock-off and looked to see if a dead short could happen even with the wrap removed. And they did it right. It is all plastic surrounding the positive contact. There are 21 pictures of the flashlight on 'USA Today.' Flashlight explodes in Colo. man's mouth

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Yes those of us that already have gear to put the batterys in would find a way to carry on. The issue is that If they deem all current ecig batterys too dangerous all existing systems could no longer be sold without a change to the batterys. Any change to the batterys would require a new PMTA. SO in essence even if we got the grandfather date changed everything would still need a PMTA since it would have been deemed unsafe due to the battery. Game over ecigs off the market. No new people stopping smoking via ecigs.

Edit: I am not worried for me. I am set for life. I am worried about the people who come after who will not have access to these life saving devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread