FDA FDA Deeming Comments - I'm starting to be worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
Here's the cruel irony of this whole exercise: if the government simply left things as they are, cigarette smoking would be largely a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years. Any regulations or restrictions they choose to impose will only make the process take longer than it needs to, and hundreds of thousands more people will die needless deaths in the meantime.

Based on what I've seen at my local convenience stores (and I'm sure I'm not the only one who can attest to this), Altria and RJR have been more than willing to devote their best areas of shelf space to their vapor products, even when it means their flagship combustible products are now hidden from public view. Isn't that a good thing? If the companies that are primarily responsible for the tobacco disease/death epidemic are willing, of their own volition, to steer their customers toward alternative products that won't kill or sicken them, shouldn't they be allowed (or encouraged) to do so?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
Interesting factoid: A total of 1394 comments were posted to the deeming docket since Friday. A quick search of these most recently posted comments reveals only 13 are about ecigs, 9 of which are pro-regulation, 1 is sort-of related (but mostly about cigars), and 3 against the deeming (1 of which is mine :D).

Really? Less than 1% of the comments in the last 24 business hours are about ecigs?

I must confess, I am rather disappointed...

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
This is nerve wracking.

There are a fair share of people that appreciate the copy paste method of writing. It would be nice to start a thread of good comments submitted as inspiration that others can use for formatting their own comments. I know CASAA doesn't want the same things posted over and over, yet at the same time a number of people are insecure in their writing abilities.

If I recall, the FDA had a specific list of questions they were looking for information on; about 99 of them. Wouldn't answering those be more appropiate than personal stories? It seems to me we should be submitting studies and reports with comments about the highlights or summarizing them in our comments.

I may be way off base here. If we needed sheer volume and personal stories, then people should have been submitting them for the last 3 months rather than holding off until the end. It's hard for others to argue against personal stories. Submitting data is more specific and I can understand why that might be held back until the last month.

I did run into a report stating that the question of menthol in cigarettes went through several extensions due to the fact it got over 130k comments in the first 60 days - then compared it to ecigs having only 30k comments. This was from a news source and we all know what they don't know... but still, it made me nervous to think that it could have made a difference.

Just some random thoughts.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If I recall, the FDA had a specific list of questions they were looking for information on; about 99 of them. Wouldn't answering those be more appropiate than personal stories? It seems to me we should be submitting studies and reports with comments about the highlights or summarizing them in our comments.

I may be way off base here. If we needed sheer volume and personal stories, then people should have been submitting them for the last 3 months rather than holding off until the end. It's hard for others to argue against personal stories. Submitting data is more specific and I can understand why that might be held back until the last month.

I have heard Mr. Zeller mention in interviews that "Quality" comments would be Considered. The latest time I believe was during the Presentation and Q/A he did at the Legacy Foundation.

Personal Stories are Great. But I think if one can Include some Supporting Information like a drop in Blood Pressure Numbers or say a Tread Mill Report that it will give More Credence to the Reader.

Any Available Facts and Figures I believe should be Included into a FDA Comment.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Interesting factoid: A total of 1394 comments were posted to the deeming docket since Friday. A quick search of these most recently posted comments reveals only 13 are about ecigs, 9 of which are pro-regulation, 1 is sort-of related (but mostly about cigars), and 3 against the deeming (1 of which is mine :D).

Really? Less than 1% of the comments in the last 24 business hours are about ecigs?

I must confess, I am rather disappointed...

One thing I have Noticed is that the Online Cigar Industry seems to be Highly Organized. I have received Countless e-Mails from Companies I have purchased Cigars from in the Past urging people to make FDA Submissions. There Web Sites also have Splash Banners and or Pop-Ups doing the same.

To Date, I have received 2 e-Mail alerts from e-Cigarette Vendors regarding the FDA.

I also see Little/No Involvement by the B&M Shops in my Area. I think some of this is because Early On there was a Prevailing thought that e-Liquids would not be Allowed to be Sold Online. So Some B&M Shops believed they actually Benefit from FDA Regulations. So They made No Effort to Inform their Clientele of the FDA Comment Period.

And the B&M Shops are Only Now realizing that if the Regs go down the Way that Many Believe they will, that these B&M Shops are Dead Men Walking.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
this came in my email:

MoveOn Petitions - Voice Your Choice

Yea, it's just a petition to Congress but the brillant part is that it's on MoveOn - and that's the dem's base. Issues are voted on. If this made an impact, dems would notice. More people belong to MoveOn than to the dems.

I'm pushing my non smoking friends to sign.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
this came in my email:

Yea, it's just a petition to Congress but the brillant part is that it's on MoveOn - and that's the dem's base. Issues are voted on. If this made an impact, dems would notice. More people belong to MoveOn than to the dems.

Non-Smokers, who Out Number e-Cigarette Users by perhaps 100 : 1 seem to have been Left out of the Equation. And it seemed like a Missed Opportunity.

Because armed with the Drexel and CleanAir Studies, I ask people who Don't Smoke which would they Rather do if they have to?

Inhale 2nd Hand Smoke which has been Shown to be Harmful?

Inhale 2nd Hand Vapor which has been Shown to Present Almost No Harm?

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I knew that glANTZ letter with the 129 ANTZ signatories would come in handy. It made perfect fodder for my latest micro-comment to the FDA deeming. Check it out:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing-re-conflicted-vs-ethical-researchers.html

In other news, out of 50,890 comments posted to the FDA docket, 45,313 are about cigars, and I can only find a little over 3,000 that have anything to do with ecigs. The rest are probably comments with attachments, that do not mention search terms in the main comment box. With the prior data about which I've written previously that shows about a 5-2 ANTZ to pro-vaping ratio, this means there are only around 1,200 comments in support of vaping (2,230 under the best assumptions). In any case, if there are a few million vapers in the US, this is very disconcerting.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
this came in my email:

Please sign this! MoveOn is huge. Their petitions need serious numbers, though. Great catch, alkanae! Needs to be in media thread.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
ANTZ really stepped up their comments. I'm seeing a huge amount of "form" type comments posted in the last 24h.

Like this: Regulations.gov

"As studies and tobacco industry documents reveal, sweet flavors are especially appealing to kids."

They just walk right into that, don't they.. :D

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/586430-having-fun-fda-comments.html

Why is the FDA even bothering trying to regulate e-cigarettes? The FDA can't even handle things that they are already supposed to regulate -- like highly-addictive nicotine gum & lozenges containing ingredients derived from what the FDA & Congress define as tobacco.

Any child or teenager under the age of 18 can simply visit the websites of national pharmacy chains like CVS (CVS pharmacy - Online Pharmacy - Shop for Wellness and Beauty Products) or Walgreens (Welcome to Walgreens - Your Home for Prescriptions, Photos and Health Information), and with the appropriate information, purchase these concentrated-nicotine gums & lozenges and have them delivered to their home by the post office.

A simple search of these pharmacy websites will bring up dozens of available products in colorful & enticing packaging that are clearly marketed towards young children.

These products come in flavors like "Cool Mint," "Fruit Wave," "Cinnamon" & "Cherry." Not to mention that the nicotine lozenges look like little candies -- and we all know how much children love their candy.

And gum? Nicotine-laced gum? What are these companies & the FDA trying to do to our innocent children?? Addict them for life *and* give them cavities? Shame on all of you.

Regulate e-cigarettes? No, obviously the FDA already has too much on their plate, as they can't even handle regulating products that they already are supposed to be regulating! The FDA is trying to bite off much more than they could possibly chew -- pun not intended, of course.

I request that the FDA does not regulate e-cigarettes. Instead, they need to get a handle on these nicotine-laced gums & candies clearly marketed towards our children.

Thank you for your time & expected cooperation in this matter.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Who would win in a fight between an ANTZ and an electronic cigarette user?

In a one-on-one fight: the e-cigarette user. Any time. Especially an e-cigarette user who has been subjected to a whole lot of ANTZ lies, hatred, aggression and contempt.
Do give me an ANTZ face to face. And then, let them open their mouth and start spewing their hatred. Please! Oh please! :sneaky:

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
In a one-on-one fight: the e-cigarette user. Any time. Especially an e-cigarette user who has been subjected to a whole lot of ANTZ lies, hatred, aggression and contempt.
Do give me an ANTZ face to face. And then, let them open their mouth and start spewing their hatred. Please! Oh please! :sneaky:

The problem is they are glANTZbots, they only know the company line and will continue to repeat it as that's all they know. They are firmly in the repeat a lie often enough and it will become the truth class. Do not bother them with studies or the truth as they only believe their own propaganda.

:facepalm::vapor:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have no doubt that most of the ANTZ foot-soldiers are just regular everyday people...

But they are people that have been conditioned through years of propaganda to HATE tobacco.
And over the last few years, they have been taught to hate nicotine.

Many of them probably know someone who died of cancer.
They have as much passion as we do.

But their passion is misplaced, and they should really be on our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread