FDA FDA deeming regulation proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were the FDA's findings after their extensive research? Have any vapers been in clinical trials? Has the FDA been notified of any detrimental effects of switching from analogs to e-cigs? Have they even spoken to ONE vaper? Are they listening to the first hand accounts of how much better people feel after switching to e-cigs? Honestly, you'd think they would be promoting e-cigs themselves. Studies were done in Europe. Have they used any of that information? All of it seemed to be positive so I guess that's why we're not hearing about it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
What were the FDA's findings after their extensive research? Have any vapers been in clinical trials? Has the FDA been notified of any detrimental effects of switching from analogs to e-cigs? Have they even spoken to ONE vaper? Are they listening to the first hand accounts of how much better people feel after switching to e-cigs? Honestly, you'd think they would be promoting e-cigs themselves. Studies were done in Europe. Have they used any of that information? All of it seemed to be positive so I guess that's why we're not hearing about it.
That's a lot of questions.
:)

Before I try to start answering some of them I just want to check...
Were they rhetorical?

Yes, they are rhetorical. I keep hearing about how the FDA is concerned about "the children" getting a hold of them, but not much else. Seems to me that's all they've got. As one commenter said, children shouldn't be driving either, but it's up to the parents to keep the keys away from them. So Poison Control got a few calls from people with nicotine overdose. How many THOUSANDS of calls have they received from parents whose kids got into their prescription drugs or chemicals under the sink? Also they claim that the flavored juices appeal to children and that adult vapors are not interested in them. What? Obviously they have never polled vapers. Many (if not most) like bakery, fruit, candy, beverage, etc. flavors. NEW vapers, however, when switching from analogs to e-cigs, probably start out with tobacco flavors - like I did - then switch to the yummy flavors. Of course we all know the FDA doesn't want to regulate them for our safety; they want to regulate them for the money they will rake in taxing everything to death. If they really get lucky, people will get so frustrated that they will go back to analogs. So the drug companies (who make the chemo and heart drugs), the American Heart Association and the American Lung Association can stay in business. Add Big tobacco, one of the most powerful lobby organizations, and we have the REAL reason the FDA is sticking it's nose in it. If a drug company came up with this idea as a smoking cessation device, I guarantee it would be "the safest thing on earth."

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Welcome to ECF, Marianne!

May I suggest you get involved in fighting those deeming regulations? We need every vaper's voice! Pay attention to the yellow banners on the top of the index page.

Join CASAA (it's free), donate if you can, respond to Calls to Action, write your representatives. We need to bottle that anger and aim it at the people who are in charge! :D

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Yes, they are rhetorical. I keep hearing about how the FDA is concerned about "the children" getting a hold of them, but not much else. Seems to me that's all they've got. As one commenter said, children shouldn't be driving either, but it's up to the parents to keep the keys away from them. So Poison Control got a few calls from people with nicotine overdose. How many THOUSANDS of calls have they received from parents whose kids got into their prescription drugs or chemicals under the sink? Also they claim that the flavored juices appeal to children and that adult vapors are not interested in them. What? Obviously they have never polled vapers. Many (if not most) like bakery, fruit, candy, beverage, etc. flavors. NEW vapers, however, when switching from analogs to e-cigs, probably start out with tobacco flavors - like I did - then switch to the yummy flavors. Of course we all know the FDA doesn't want to regulate them for our safety; they want to regulate them for the money they will rake in taxing everything to death. If they really get lucky, people will get so frustrated that they will go back to analogs. So the drug companies (who make the chemo and heart drugs), the American Heart Association and the American Lung Association can stay in business. Add Big Tobacco, one of the most powerful lobby organizations, and we have the REAL reason the FDA is sticking it's nose in it. If a drug company came up with this idea as a smoking cessation device, I guarantee it would be "the safest thing on earth."

Welcome Mariannef -- That and from what I understand the FDA was worried about unfounded health claims from some vape suppliers. Even though I have never seen anything on vaping that proves it is healthier than smoking from any suppliers. I think it is. I'm sure it will be proven to be the case in the near future. But until then opinions remain opinions. Even though in my mind and a lot of other vapers minds, we know we are healthier for switching.

I am new to ECF and joined mainly because I wanted to be informed of what's going on with the upcoming regulations. I had never heard of CASAA until recently and I am assuming there are countless others like me. I am definitely going to find out what I can do by reading the calls to action and aim my anger (frustration, really) at the people in charge! I meant no anger toward the original poster - just trying to make sense out of what seems to be senseless actions by the FDA.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I am new to ECF and joined mainly because I wanted to be informed of what's going on with the upcoming regulations. I had never heard of CASAA until recently and I am assuming there are countless others like me. I am definitely going to find out what I can do by reading the calls to action and aim my anger (frustration, really) at the people in charge! I meant no anger toward the original poster - just trying to make sense out of what seems to be senseless actions by the FDA.

I think I read somewhere that there is an estimated 4 million vapers in the US alone,(although I think that number is a little low) and CASAA only has around 13k members. So yeah, the word needs to be got out. Oh and write your state representatives. This is an important election year. I'm a vaper and I vote. I want the nanny state out of our lives.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I think I read somewhere that there is an estimated 4 million vapers in the US alone,(although I think that number is a little low) and CASAA only has around 13k members. So yeah, the word needs to be got out. Oh and write your state representatives. This is an important election year. I'm a vaper and I vote. I want the nanny state out of our lives.
CASAA is up to about 18,000 members now!
:)

It would be nice if it were 100,000 though.

ah64ace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
SC
The other day I sent an email to my Senator, Tim Scott (SC) in reference to the proposed regulations and this was the email I received from him. It doesn't say much, but thought I would share.

From: Senator Tim Scott [mailto:donotreply@scott.senate.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:24 PM
To: **********
Subject: From the Desk of Senator Tim Scott

Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns over regulations that could affect e-cigarettes. I appreciate your input on this issue and the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) currently only has authority to regulate e-cigarettes that are marketed for therapeutic purposes. The FDA has stated its intent to issue a proposed rule that would extend their authority to products that meet the statutory definition of "tobacco product." This would subject additional tobacco product categories to controls such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing and standards similar to those that FDA already imposes on cigarettes.

I understand your concerns with the FDA increasing its role in oversight of e-cigarettes, and I can assure you that I will monitor the decisions that the FDA makes on this topic. I believe in consumer choice, but I also understand that the FDA has been tasked with protecting Americans from harmful food and drug products. With new products like e-cigarettes, regulators have to weigh any risks to health and evaluate their legal authority to create and enforce standards. This is a developing situation, and I am looking forward to receiving more information from the FDA on how their plans might impact e-cigarettes.

Again, thank you for sharing your perspective with me; I hope that you will continue to do so in the future. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff.
For more information, please visit my website at Welcome to Senator Tim Scott | Senator Tim Scott and subscribe to my monthly e-newsletter. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorTimScott and Twitter: www.twitter.com/SenatorTimScott for daily updates.

Sincerely,
Tim Scott
United States Senator

This communication is being sent via e-mail in order to save taxpayer dollars. If you would like a written letter, please notify our office. The information contained herein is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. Please do not tamper with or alter this communication in any way.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Marianne!

I also reccomend looking into the Vaping Malitia. There's a thread from them in the CASAA section. Right now there is an online auction with all proceeds going towards CASAA at User Profile - vapingmilitia (some really nice stuff too.)

There's some facts as they are understood right now threads. That maybe the fastest way to get up to speed. Other than the CTA to request an extension, a lot of the organizing is happening locally. There is an email to send out to vendors reminding them what they can do to help too. We need every warm body in on this, vaping, smoking or not.

Last edited:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I also reccomend looking into the Vaping Malitia. There's a thread from them in the CASAA section. Right now there is an online auction with all proceeds going towards CASAA at User Profile - vapingmilitia (some really nice stuff too.)

There's some facts as they are understood right now threads. That maybe the fastest way to get up to speed. Other than the CTA to request an extension, a lot of the organizing is happening locally. There is an email to send out to vendors reminding them what they can do to help too. We need every warm body in on this, vaping, smoking or not.

You know I had never heard of VapingMilltia until Demi mentioned them on VapinGreek. Idk why? :(
Thnx for that link aikanae :thumb:

Last edited:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
The other day I sent an email to my Senator, Tim Scott (SC) in reference to the proposed regulations and this was the email I received from him. It doesn't say much, but thought I would share.

From: Senator Tim Scott [mailto:donotreply@scott.senate.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 2:24 PM
To: **********
Subject: From the Desk of Senator Tim Scott

Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns over regulations that could affect e-cigarettes. I appreciate your input on this issue and the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) currently only has authority to regulate e-cigarettes that are marketed for therapeutic purposes. The FDA has stated its intent to issue a proposed rule that would extend their authority to products that meet the statutory definition of "tobacco product." This would subject additional tobacco product categories to controls such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing and standards similar to those that FDA already imposes on cigarettes.

I understand your concerns with the FDA increasing its role in oversight of e-cigarettes, and I can assure you that I will monitor the decisions that the FDA makes on this topic. I believe in consumer choice, but I also understand that the FDA has been tasked with protecting Americans from harmful food and drug products. With new products like e-cigarettes, regulators have to weigh any risks to health and evaluate their legal authority to create and enforce standards. This is a developing situation, and I am looking forward to receiving more information from the FDA on how their plans might impact e-cigarettes.

Again, thank you for sharing your perspective with me; I hope that you will continue to do so in the future. If I can ever be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff.
For more information, please visit my website at Welcome to Senator Tim Scott | Senator Tim Scott and subscribe to my monthly e-newsletter. I also encourage you to follow me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SenatorTimScott and Twitter: www.twitter.com/SenatorTimScott for daily updates.

Sincerely,
Tim Scott
United States Senator

This communication is being sent via e-mail in order to save taxpayer dollars. If you would like a written letter, please notify our office. The information contained herein is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. Please do not tamper with or alter this communication in any way.

That seems to be the standard reply. I got a similar one.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Welcome Mariannef -- That and from what I understand the FDA was worried about unfounded health claims from some vape suppliers. Even though I have never seen anything on vaping that proves it is healthier than smoking from any suppliers. I think it is. I'm sure it will be proven to be the case in the near future. But until then opinions remain opinions. Even though in my mind and a lot of other vapers minds, we know we are healthier for switching.

Our physicians know that too. I'm sure I can get mine to write a letter saying so. I'll even write it for him. If the get a mound of letters from M.D.s they'll have a hard time ignoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread