FDA FDA deeming regulation proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The way the proposal is written, the hammer doesn't really drop for two years after the regs are finalized.

It appears this is true, unless you submit a Substantial Equivalence or New tobacco product application (as is required by the FDA) AND the FDA denies the application. In that case the product can no longer be marketed or imported.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Right. You've have to be nuts to do that before the deadline, no?

For a small mom & pop operation, absolutely. For a medium or large company that needs to have a business plan looking forward for years, to be able to plan, get financial backing, hire staff, lease commercial spaces, it's a catch-22. How long to hold off, how soon do we need to know our future, how much to invest in what and where...not a great way to run a business.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I believe the FDA has willed and will do these regs no matter what

I hope Im wrong but want to be prepared in case

my question is

if these regs get passed how soon before it effects prices and availability to get juice ?

and also how soon will it effect mods?
It's hard to answer that question until we see the FINAL regulations.

As it is we are only able to deal with the proposed regulations as they currently stand.
But the FDA has the prerogative to change them before issuing the final regulations for OMB approval, followed by Congress approval.

But as far as what has been proposed, yeah, what those guys above me said.
:)

badwolf91

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
Iowa
Seeing that this would destroy every ecig store , B&M and most vendors like noted, 99% of products potentially. i don't see how OSB or congress could allow it, but they can be some dirty guys. I just hope some descent people see this is wrong as we do and we get another chance. then im sure the FDA will try again in another year or two with something different. and the fight goes on. either way DO have the chance to get this regulation rejected it can happen i have some hope that if we really demonstrate what the massive effect on families who own business, or any business owner, the death blow to the consumer, ect will be then maybe they will see something here. idk

i do see some panic buying going on but its definitely not the right time. well i mean get what you need to feel good, i have gotten a few extra things but i always do lol. i don't think prices would raise if it was worse case they would go down at the end when everybody goes out of business to get them off their shelves and cut their losses but maybe im wrong.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Seeing that this would destroy every ecig store , B&M and most vendors like noted, 99% of products potentially. i don't see how OSB or congress could allow it, but they can be some dirty guys. I just hope some descent people see this is wrong as we do and we get another chance. then im sure the FDA will try again in another year or two with something different. and the fight goes on. either way DO have the chance to get this regulation rejected it can happen i have some hope that if we really demonstrate what the massive effect on families who own business, or any business owner, the death blow to the consumer, ect will be then maybe they will see something here. idk

i do see some panic buying going on but its definitely not the right time. well i mean get what you need to feel good, i have gotten a few extra things but i always do lol. i don't think prices would raise if it was worse case they would go down at the end when everybody goes out of business to get them off their shelves and cut their losses but maybe im wrong.

honestly I have been slowly stocking up for the last year and if necessary I suspect I could vape successfully for the rest of my life at this point. Maybe not 100% happily but I could manage well enough not to go back to the cancer sticks. Anything I buy now is because I want to try something new.

I think the real point is figuring out what we can do to make sure we are never forced to live with our stockpiles. That is a far more important task.

cliff

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Texas
I've been vaping for over four years now and been on this forum quite awhlie.I've said it a long time ago but I think it still holds true,we will eventually be having "vape easys" like they had speak easys in the 20's in homes because we can't afford it or it's unavailable.On the point of stocking up I gave my son a bottle of Halo freedom juice,he didn't use it,got it back 2 years later(he kept it in the frig)tasted like it was a week old,good stuff.From all the mods and batteries I have I should be fine for a month or two:)

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cross posting is not permitted on ECF.

6pointprime

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2010
NYC

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The replay of last night's episode of Click, Bang! is up

The Wrath Of Tom Baker - HanaModz Debacle - NYC Lawsuit Update

https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/the-...pdate?in=vp-live/sets/the-click-bang-archives

If you are just interested in hearing the fist-fight between Tom Baker and I, you can jump to the 1 hour 26 minute mark in the broadcast or just use this link to go there directly:

https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/the-wrath-of-tom-baker-hanamodz-debacle-nyc-lawsuit-update#t=1:25:48

Fist-fight? I heard a lot of "I agree". And, he was the least agitated of all clips or participants. Interesting though... while I disagree with some of his views, and like you, agree with some, either way, I'd still like to read or hear them. Thanks for posting this.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
For a small mom & pop operation, absolutely. For a medium or large company that needs to have a business plan looking forward for years, to be able to plan, get financial backing, hire staff, lease commercial spaces, it's a catch-22. How long to hold off, how soon do we need to know our future, how much to invest in what and where...not a great way to run a business.

This is President Obama's mindset, "People don't grow businesses, the US Government does."

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
If you are just interested in hearing the fist-fight between Tom Baker and I, you can jump to the 1 hour 26 minute mark in the broadcast or just use this link to go there directly:

https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/the-wrath-of-tom-baker-hanamodz-debacle-nyc-lawsuit-update#t=1:25:48

I still think Mr. "B." is naive but for the most part many of his convictions are rooted in some kind of twisted logic. Sorry to see him banned from ECF. Every worthwhile cause can benefit from a devil's advocate.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Finally in my own little version of "Call To Prepare" and organizing links I've gathered along the way.

#1 on that list is the proposed rule, and just realized today that the original PDF for proposed rule, or very first link in OP of this thread, is now gone. Good news is the third link does replicate that, so not entirely erased from cyberspace.

While reviewing the "Docket Folder Summary" from FDA that contains history of the proposed rule (through today), I see a few things:
- namely what most of us knew in that a new comment area was created, and is current one to use (see here)
- and that new comment area is based on proposed rule as found here

- and am curious if the correction(s) (as noted here) are anything significant?

I don't recall discussing those corrections here on ECF, but perhaps I missed that thread.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Finally in my own little version of "Call To Prepare" and organizing links I've gathered along the way.

#1 on that list is the proposed rule, and just realized today that the original PDF for proposed rule, or very first link in OP of this thread, is now gone. Good news is the third link does replicate that, so not entirely erased from cyberspace.

While reviewing the "Docket Folder Summary" from FDA that contains history of the proposed rule (through today), I see a few things:
- namely what most of us knew in that a new comment area was created, and is current one to use (see here)
- and that new comment area is based on proposed rule as found here

- and am curious if the correction(s) (as noted here) are anything significant?

I don't recall discussing those corrections here on ECF, but perhaps I missed that thread.

I wrote this:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...a-e-cigarette-regulations-2.html#post13518527

post #18

MarkLH90

Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
Tennessee
I am willing to take the risk with vaping because I KNOW smoking will kill me, vaping should not.

Quoted for truth. Even if I read a study saying ejuice is a direct equivalent of Marlboro Menthols at least this ~~~~ tastes better. I'm about to drive to work with a mug full of coffee and a kraken full of Banana Nut Bread. Kiss my ~~~ Marlboro, I'm out!

mytsmooth

Aug 21, 2013
Colorado USA
Smoke-free for a year today. Electronic cigarettes have given me a way to quit smoking. I am confused how it can be labeled as a tobacco product, when it does not contain tobacco. Nicotine is a naturally occurring chemical and can be found in many fruits and vegetables. Electronic cigarettes are not a tobacco product and it would be irresponsible to label it as such.

Jcdew67

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Nashville,TN
Derived from Tobacco is just a excuse like others have said targeted towards ecigs so they can try to regulate them.

So what makes me wonder is if they figure out a way to get synthetic Nicotine or get it from Vegetables cost effectivly and such what they would do.

To tax them then would require them to tax Vegetables and Fruits as a Tobacco product by Law,sorry son "a apple a day" requires you to be 18 or older =P

Last edited:

mjt

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
Arizona
This is President Obama's mindset, "People don't grow businesses, the US Government does."

Yep, this is big government at work. They do it all the time and to other industries and they usually use it as a political tool as well to get people to vote. It doesn't matter if it's the EPA,FDA, FAA, HHS, DHS or the IRS, it's all the same and if you only care when it's you that is personally effected, you are part of the problem. As a person that loathes big government, I'm use to being told I'm evil, hate children, the elderly or whatever and mocked as some weirdo because I think the government should be constrained by US Constitution and limited in it's scope.

This is all to be expected, they won't secure our borders which is required of the Federal Government by law, but they'll sure as heck crush any of us when it pleases them.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yep, this is big government at work. They do it all the time and to other industries and they usually use it as a political tool as well to get people to vote. It doesn't matter if it's the EPA,FDA, FAA, HHS, DHS or the IRS, it's all the same and if you only care when it's you that is personally effected, you are part of the problem. As a person that loathes big government, I'm use to being told I'm evil, hate children, the elderly or whatever and mocked as some weirdo because I think the government should be constrained by US Constitution and limited in it's scope.

This is all to be expected, they won't secure our borders which is required of the Federal Government by law, but they'll sure as heck crush any of us when it pleases them.

1000 likes. :thumb:

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Don't Tread on Me!

Except in this case, they didn't, it seems. I was tremendously worried about the availability of unflavored nic concentrates, but they did nothing.

I was worried they'd simply ban flavors. Nope.

I was worried they'd ban advertising to adults. Nada.

I wasn't worried about devices as they clearly don't fall under the FDA's umbrella.

All in all, while this isn't 100%--the approval process' efficiency remains to be seen--I'd say the vaping community got a solid 80% of what it really wanted.

just went back and was re-reading this thread(morbid curiousity)...

so, now that the proposed regs have been seriously dissected and the comment period is done.

Do you still think this?

Or do you, like me, almost find it comical how far off most people's first impressions were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread