FDA FDA deeming regulation proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't think it would matter if we could show 1 million vapers would go back to smoking. This is about money, not health. I'm at a loss for how we can fight them. Facts and science won't sway them. Unfortunately I think physical protests are the least we should do. Also, since this is about money, if there was some way we could threaten their money supply...
Totally. I read the proposed regulations, and it just pisses me off. Another case where the rich and powerfull (Big tobacco and their lobbyists) will stomp out and take from the little guy. vaping will just become a huge underground market the way I see it. It's possible that a few of the larger players like Halo might be able to pay for the "applications" for new products. Any of the smaller operations will most likely have to go underground or shut down. And what's puzzling is this vape crackdown is going on amid the sale of weed equipment and decriminalizing of weed in several areas. The FDA is so concerned about our safety and health, while meanwhile approving big pharma drugs that have severe side effects, and food products like Aspartame.

Last edited:
I saw some "expert' on Fox the other day. She was talking about cigarettes and then e cigs. She said the FDA didn't regulate them, yet. The studies weren't in but they are dangerous."
She has already made her mind up about vaping. I didn't catch her name or title as I was washing dishes and listening out of the corner of my ear.

Stoked!

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Philly Burbs
For those of you who are up to date on everything: So...should we be stocking up on supplies or do we have some time? I'm wondering if you guys think that nic levels will be regulated in e-juice? If so...should we get 100mg liquid today before anything happens? Should we chill for now? What is the time-line on when we might see our products disappearing...especially e-juice? Thank you very much!!!

Vape on!!

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
For those of you who are up to date on everything: So...should we be stocking up on supplies or do we have some time? I'm wondering if you guys think that nic levels will be regulated in e-juice? If so...should we get 100mg liquid today before anything happens? Should we chill for now? What is the time-line on when we might see our products disappearing...especially e-juice? Thank you very much!!!

Vape on!!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/fda-regulations/578783-so-what-might-really-happen-regulations-bans-should-we-stocking-up.html#post13564176

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    What I got out of this was, "We don't know if they're dangerous enough that we need to regulate them, so we want to regulate them in order to collect data to know if we should regulate them."

-_- Thats like the whole, "pass the bill so we can find out whats in it," ordeal. Lol.

I agree.

FDA: Oh and we better start putting a big tax on it, for everyones benifit...:facepalm:

Hype

Sep 7, 2011
    Toronto
    FDA has summer to finalize tobacco deeming regs, Senate Dem says

By Lydia Wheeler - 05/14/15 04:02 PM EDT

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) is giving the Food and Drug Administration until the end of the summer to finalize its deeming regulations for all tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes and cigars.

The Tobacco Control Act provides the FDA with the authority to regulate cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, smokeless tobacco and any other tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, that the agency deems by regulation to be subject to the law.

The agency first proposed this deeming regulation more than a year ago, and Blumenthal said it has exceeded the deadline to finalize the rule.

“We’ve met with the appropriate officials at the administration,” he said. “We’re pushing them hard to protect the public, and I will introduce legislation if they fail to act promptly.”

During an event hosted by the American Association for Cancer Research, Blumenthal said he’s troubled by data the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released last month that showed use of e-cigarettes among middle- and high-school students has tripled in the last year.

“People smoke; they continue to smoke even in the face of the self-destructive, disastrous effects of smoking because they’re addicted,” he said. “The overwhelming majority of smokers try to quit, and they can’t.”

During the event, Maciej Goniewicz, assistant professor of oncology in the Department of Health Behavior at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y., said the formaldehyde found in the liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes is a known carcinogen.

“We know that formaldehyde is a carcinogenic compound,” he said “There are different levels of that formaldehyde in electronic cigarettes.”

Goniewicz said the levels of formaldehyde in the vapor vary depending on temperature. Products with strong batteries that allow users to increase the temperature inside the device, he said, are breathing in more formaldehyde.

Though hailed by the tobacco industry as a device to help cigarette smokers quit smoking, an official with the CDC said close to three-quarters of e-cigarette users are also smoking traditional cigarettes.

“And there’s a reason we’re concerned about dual use,” said Brian King, acting deputy director for research translation for the CDC’s Office on Smoking and Health. “That’s because cutting back is not enough even a few cigarettes a day are dangerous.”

Smoking just five cigarettes a day can double your risk of dying from heart disease, according to a CDC report. The good news, however, King said, is there are a lot of benefits to quitting completely.

“With heart disease, your risk is cut in half one year after quitting and that will continue to drop over time,” he said. “Even quitting at age 50 cuts your risk in half of early death from smoking related diseases.”

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    angryvaper.crypticsites.com
    formaldehyde.jpg

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    this tripe makes my blood boil. I'd say this sorry waste of skin is much worse for my health than smoking ever was. HE is a cancer.

Well it might be somewhat understandable if a politician is stupid, that seems pretty much par for the course these days. But an assistant professor of oncology should read more than merely headlines! That is simply pathetic! I sure hope that semi-literate person never gets to be a full professor, with scholarship that shoddy!

Andria

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 21, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    vapefight.com
    During the event, Maciej Goniewicz, assistant professor of oncology in the Department of Health Behavior at Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y., said the formaldehyde found in the liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes is a known carcinogen.

“We know that formaldehyde is a carcinogenic compound,” he said “There are different levels of that formaldehyde in electronic cigarettes.”

Goniewicz said the levels of formaldehyde in the vapor vary depending on temperature. Products with strong batteries that allow users to increase the temperature inside the device, he said, are breathing in more formaldehyde.

Notice how this LIAR spun it!! ATTENTION: DESK KILLER!!! What are the exact levels of formaldehyde and do these levels which you have measured (PPM) and published in a pear reviewed publication pose a generally recognized and validated/documented health risk???

/grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    From a financial perspective, oncologists make their living from people getting cancers. Quiting or reducing smoking does not help them.

Docs that specialized in polio, and rehab from polio -- and the manufacturers of iron lungs and leg braces -- probably hated Jonas Salk, but nobody tried to pretend a polio vaccine was "dangerous". :facepalm: Maybe because we had a president who got behind the vaccine research?

Andria

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread