Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
And a bunch of Walgreen's. Glad to see pharmacies are checking those IDs. :blink:

I was a bit surprised to see smok get cited for selling juice. I never knew they sold it, and even went to their website a store page but couldn't find anything. Maybe they pulled it down, but did Smok really use to sell juice too?

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
So much for "They're marketing these to children!"

Right, Bob. Good performance, so far, by the brick and mortar vape shops.

However, it looks like the FDA is busy also building its future case for adding the ridiculous flavor ban regulation it wanted to implement right from the start (but didn't get) against "flavors."

I don't know if the sting-participant-kids were told ahead of time exactly which names of e-liquid to look for, but...

Anyone else notice how often the e-liquid the sting-kids bought was "bubble gum" or "cotton candy" or "gummy bear" and assorted candy-type names that make the opponents of e-cigs shriek the loudest?

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
Right, Bob. Good performance, so far, by the brick and mortar vape shops.

However, it looks like the FDA is busy also building its future case for adding the ridiculous flavor ban regulation it wanted to implement right from the start (but didn't get) against "flavors."

I don't know if the sting-participant-kids were told ahead of time exactly which names of e-liquid to look for, but...

Anyone else notice how often the e-liquid the sting-kids bought was "bubble gum" or "cotton candy" or "gummy bear" and assorted candy-type names that make the opponents of e-cigs shriek the loudest?
I noticed that right off the bat. The seeds of more propaganda.

@Eskie that is SmokTe(k) rather than SmokTech

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I don't think anybody has a problem with reasonable efforts made to minimize sales to minors, but.........

This goes so far beyond that effort to the extent of a clear intention of elimination of the product rather then controlling it. So around 50 sold a product to a minor, 50 out of how many? Is this a widespread problem or a miniscule percent caught by entrapment? So a 17 year old managed to buy a bottle of juice. Simple logic would tell me if somebody is buying juice, they already have the equipment to use it in.

This just confirms my original impressions that government will do whatever it takes, regardless of cost to the taxpayer to protect their own special interest donors.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

Ooh, tricky. Thanks for pointing that out. That was a real head scratcher for me.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    So around 50 sold a product to a minor, 50 out of how many? Is this a widespread problem or a miniscule percent caught by entrapment?
    That's what I thought. Seems like a low figure. Wonder how many underage cigarette sales there were in the same time span.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Yes, it's a shame children can't walk into liquor stores or smoke shops and just buy cigs and a bottle of whatever they want, too. Right? :sarcasm:

Given the law, I resent the B&Ms and such that are selling to underage.

Almost the entire vaping industry, including CAASA, agreed that age limits were acceptable and proper.

It just makes things worse for those who are following the laws when scofflaws ignore the laws.

(BTW, I used to get this same song and dance from people who had puppy mills when we dragged them into court for not following the regulations regarding animal negligence and cruelty......so I am used to dealing with Scofflaws. :)) Some people decide not to come to a full stop at stop signs, too. Whatcha gonna do? They just make it bad for everyone else on the road who are trying to do the right thing.

Not suprised to see the convenience stores on the list but some of the dedicated vape shops did surprise me. They should know better.:rolleyes:
    It does not begin with 'regulations'. It begins with the people who simply do not do the right thing. When people make a habit of shrugging off doing what is right on their own without being forced then it gets regulated or legislated. Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it's right. When presented with the opportunity to do right or shrug & do wrong anyone should be able to make that distinction without it be a law enforced decision. Right thing or wrong thing. Do the right thing on your own without being forced. Then mystery shoppers & more overreaching laws won't be used. And don't whine about getting caught when you consciously decide to deliberately do the wrong thing.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    And a bunch of Walgreen's. Glad to see pharmacies are checking those IDs. :blink:

I was a bit surprised to see Smok get cited for selling juice. I never knew they sold it, and even went to their website a store page but couldn't find anything. Maybe they pulled it down, but did Smok really use to sell juice too?
    It's not just about juice. Devices are tobacco products now, too.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa

I was a bit surprised to see Smok get cited for selling juice. I never knew they sold it, and even went to their website a store page but couldn't find anything. Maybe they pulled it down, but did Smok really use to sell juice too?

Remember, hardware is a tobacco product.

Reactions: Kenna

DrMA

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2013
    Seattle area
    Quoted from the article:

"No vape shops received warning letters for selling to minors, the FDA said."

What's that all about?

This was an FDA op aimed at banning online vaping sales under the guise of protecting kids. In fact, the entire age restrictions scam, which the vaping industry was suckered into supporting, was always about banning online sales. That's why I do not support age-based prohibition, never have, never will. It's the thin side of the wedge.

salemgold

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    "A total of 27 of the 55 companies hit by these notices - a full half of them - were online shops. There are several shops out there that sell their products online. According to the deeming regulations, they need to have age verification systems in place, to ensure they aren't selling to minors. Several, if not all, of the shops listed that got notices have this verification in place. Unfortunately, the verification failed for one reason or another. And this isn't free software that hasn't been tested. They were using the top-of-the-line, industry leading age verification software. At least one of these software companies is stating that it was a failure of the eCommerce platforms, not their software. Really we don't know where the failure was."

Draper Vapor News: FDA Sending Notices to Vape Shops, But is it Entrapment?

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    "A total of 27 of the 55 companies hit by these notices - a full half of them - were online shops. There are several shops out there that sell their products online. According to the deeming regulations, they need to have age verification systems in place, to ensure they aren't selling to minors. Several, if not all, of the shops listed that got notices have this verification in place. Unfortunately, the verification failed for one reason or another. And this isn't free software that hasn't been tested. They were using the top-of-the-line, industry leading age verification software. At least one of these software companies is stating that it was a failure of the eCommerce platforms, not their software. Really we don't know where the failure was."

Draper Vapor News: FDA Sending Notices to Vape Shops, But is it Entrapment?

Thanks for posting this. It shows a little of what the future holds.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread