FDA issues first warning letters to vape shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
It's definitely not a waste in their minds. They get to pretend like they're doing something, win brownie points with the general public for protecting the children, flex their muscles with tobacco retailers, and scratch the backs of local law enforcement. It's just a shame that in reality it's pointless.

Of course it's pointless , if it made any sense the government would never do it .

The rule is " if a new law has little to no chance of succeeding & there is no clear benefit whatsoever you must always go with it" , thats are government , they say they know what they are doing so apparently we are in good hands .

Lets face it folks , were all doomed , who am i kidding.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I have posted this before but, will say it again.

Compliance checks are not and, have never been to keep underage
individuals from obtaining alcohol or tobacco. They are a source of
revenue. By giving the illusion of doing something it justifies onerous
regulations and taxation and guarantee's further funding and employment
for the ever expanding bureaucracies under the guise of protecting the
chillin'. They do not care about the chillin'. Chillin' for the most part do
not pay taxes nor vote.

If they actually cared about the chillin' they would do compliance checks
on them.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Compliance checks are not and, have never been to keep underage individuals from obtaining alcohol or tobacco. They are a source of revenue.

As are parking tickets, motor vehicle registration sticker checks, etc.

But if you look behind the curtain, usually people who don't keep their registration current also don't keep their insurance current, and are often driving w/suspended licenses as well. If you actually asked a police officer what the "relationship" is between things, they will be able to tell you. It is actually quite high.

Ever get hit by an uninsured driver and it is their fault? Have fun trying to collect. Have fun trying to collect your deductible now that YOU have to file a claim with your insurance, etc.

Again, the vaping industry AGREED to age restrictions. (It is a moot point now whether or not you like that idea.) When you agree to something, the honorable thing to do is keep your word.

Personally, I don't like "scofflaws". I've been on their dumping end a few times and it cost me time, money and a lot of work. I have noticed that places like restaurants who don't keep stuff current, I don't want to eat there because they are deficient in *other* areas as well, maybe food safety, etc.

All that said, I am not in favor of all these restrictions, of course. But I also recognize that the way to change laws is thru the court system. I have availed myself of the court systems a few times myself, won some and lost some. :) I kinda think the jurisprudence system is neat........it doesn't always work perfectly but I have a respect for it and how it was set up.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
What does a website with insufficient age verification have to do with a restaurant that isn't up to health codes?

Do we even know HOW these "minors" got around the age restrictions? What I've seen so far is, vape shops check IDs, c-stores may not, and online retailers may have more work to do. If they're allowed to continue selling online.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I mean, I guess I get it. Choosing the wrong age verification service

Any online age verification service can be circumvented - even when they ask for a pic - use an adults info as your own... For some reason buying falsely is not against the law, but selling is...

Reactions: Lessifer

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Any online age verification service can be circumvented - even when they ask for a pic - use an adults info as your own... For some reason buying falsely is not against the law, but selling is...
And I believe that is the crux of the issue. They really don't want us buying vapor products online. Too easy to circumvent taxes that way.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Again, the vaping industry AGREED to age restrictions. (It is a moot point now whether or not you like that idea.) When you agree to something, the honorable thing to do is keep your word.
I do of course agree with age restrictions. However I do not agree with compliance checks.
I do not believe most if any of these vendors are deliberately selling to minors. Any store
selling tobacco or alcohol is over time going to be hit with noncompliance sooner or later.
How many stores have we heard of actually selling to minors as a mater of course?
Over the many years I can recall maybe 2 or 3 liquor establishments and, maybe 2 or 3 stores
selling cigarettes. Not one was ever nailed on a compliance check.(yes they were compliance checked)
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread