FDA may soon propose regulation that could ban many/most e-cigarette products, eliminate many/most companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
I believe the FDA has far too much authority as it is! i believe their an organization that is driven by greed and "back room" profits. It's clearly obvious that public health is the least of their concerns! But until we as vapors, can take the time out of our busy lives to ban together and do what it takes to be heard and to show that we can regulate these products responsibly, it seem's like we might be in trouble!

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
So, whats to stop someone from using the complaint form in a backhanded manner? Seriously. If all they'll give us to comment on is a complaint form, why not "complain" about how we don't ever want to smoke a cigarette anymore, or we could "complain" about how our health care costs are decreasing because our lung function is improving and we don't need inhalers anymore or complain about blood pressure normalizing and how we don't have to take BP meds anymore. Could we complain about not being able to contaminate innocent bystanders with our second hand smoke? Or not causing fires if we drift to sleep with one in our hand? Could we use their own tools against them? I say FLOOD them with complaints.

I'd suggest not doing that. They'd just report that they've had x number of complaints about E cigs and use that as an excuse to regulate against them.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
In the next few days, I'll be collaborating with CASAA to develop an action alert, sample letters to send to members of Congress, and sample letters to send to newspaper editors.

If/when the FDA proposes this regulation, we'll also need to generate thousands of public comments to the FDA urging them to reject their proposed regulation, but the agency holds all the cards (and can ignore all of the public comments and simply approve the proposed regulation).

That is why we need to contact members of Congress (especially Republicans) urging them to oppose this potentially forthcoming power grab by FDA.

Thank you Bill, for the heads up. Please continue to keep us informed and guide us on steps to take.

It's mind boggling to me that more people who are members of this forum are NOT supporting CASAA. We also should remember that it was a judge appointed by a Republican President who saved vaping from being banned two years ago. And it was a Democratic Senator who also tried to get vaping banned.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
One little interesting sidenote is that on the FDA E-Cig statement page, there is form to file complaints and report vendors... There is no form for success stories or praising vendors...

They are collecting only negative data. It is an amazingly example of researcher bias...

Seriously, what point is there in only collecting negative data? I think the answer to that speaks for itself...

Would it be possible for all of us to use the above form to file a complaint against the FDA.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Not precisely addressing your concerns, but perhaps related is a possible method for creating a "war chest" (please pardon me).

Most vendors offer discounts. I realize it would take a little effort in programming and bookkeeping, however a check-box option added to vendors web pages might prove to be an interesting resource. Check here if you would like to donate your discount to (organization?) in order to maintain our freedom of unrestricted vaping. Of course that's just an example. It provides the purchaser to easy opportunity to make donations as they shop. There'll need to be coordination with vendors and agreement on where the funds might be directed, etc.

It's easy to think up. I believe the funds garnered could be substantial. Perhaps there are some here that might have thoughts on what would be required for actual implementation. There may be resources within the community to get the ball rolling.

That's not a bad idea. If the money could be funneled to CASAA as a donation from "consumers" and not from the suppler, etc that would be helpful.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
This is the correct answer.

And the reality is, WE are letting this happen.
We are letting them get away with this kind of crap.

Apathy is our greatest enemy, but they have done a great job of instilling this apathy that permeates our county.
Dump your apathy off at the post office, and grab a handfull of "I give a damn" and do something.

And by do something, I mean do anything... whatever you can, within your means.

Well stated, DC. Every person who vapes should be willing to write their legislators and JOIN CASAA AND MAKE A DONATION.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Another person in the media who is against the FDA's drive to ban vaping is John Stossel of Fox News. I will be sending him an email, as he has already come out in support of vaping and I hope others do as well. Here is his email address:

stossel@foxbusiness.com

Just sent this to him
Dear Mr. Stossel,

It has come to my attention that you are against the FDA's attempts to ban or unfairly regulate electronic cigarettes. Since this is the case, I'd like for you to know that the FDA is about to finalize a proposed regulation to make all items deemed as tobacco products subject to the Tobacco Control Act of 2009, and Electronic Cigarettes are included. The implications of this are grave in that the FDA may ban online sales and subject Electronic Cigarettes to heavy taxes. Another problem is that in the tobacco control act, there is a clause called substantial equivalence. This prohibits new tobacco products from being introduced unless they are approved by the FDA or found to be "substantially equivalent" to products made before 2007. While E-cigarettes were made before 2007, this still implies that companies could have to pay extreme legal fees to prove their e-cigs are "substantially equivalent" to the ones made before 2007. We need your help to combat this! All we need is for you to publicize this more and publicize this issue so that the FDA may think twice before being too hard on electronic cigarettes. for more information I strongly encourage you to visit CASAA.org. It would be much appreciated if you could help us stop the FDA from killing more innocent people!

Thank you for listening,

-GR

JacobDaniel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Jackson, Michigan
jacobselectronics.net
But that won't work for most people and especially not a new person trying to make the transition. We all need to write our congressmen and senators.
Yes, you are correct.
We all have to do something to govern our "great" government for sure.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
I want to toss my two cents in here, and I hope I don't offend anyone too bad in doing so...

First: Bill I love and respect what you do wholeheartedly... and I want to encourage and support you in anyway I can...

Second: When picking a fight with a fast moving train the only solutions are: get out of the way, or ride it.

There is a third way to fight that fast moving train ... derail it. Somehow, some way, we have got to show that the FDA is not looking out for our best interests or our health when it comes to e-cigs.

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
It's true, of course, that many of us are willing, able, and perhaps ready to continue vaping, come what may. Some may have mechanical/engineering experience and gear. Some may have black market experience. Most can DIY juice, at least somewhat. And there will still be a market, of sorts.

After all, if you look hard enough you can find snus in most of europe, despite the ban.

But that is NOT THE POINT.

Existing vapers gonna vape.

But new converts will be hard to come by if these things are legally restricted to the fringes and beyond.

As a result, many thousands of people will die who could have been saved by decent harm reduction products and information.

We aren't just fighting for our right to vape. We are fighting for the right to save lives.

Fight hard,
Ande

If

cobaltblue

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
A cabin in the woods and loving it
There is a third way to fight that fast moving train ... derail it....

I was thinking something similar, remove a section of track. Unfortunately, the only way I can see that happening is to stop All backroom deals in Washington.

Including but not limited to:
-No elected official can have past, present or future association or careers with lobbyists or corporations.
-Same for those on Supreme Court.
-Congress needs to abide by the same rules they set for Federal employees.
-Campaign donation reform.
-No more career politicians....

In other words (aside from salary), no profiting in any way, shape or form from their elected or appointed positions.

The real fight should be aimed at the foundation/core of the problem. The same issues we've faced with e-cigs/FDA are similar to all others this country faces. Backroom deals foster corruption and greed and don't represent the best interest of the vast majority of the population.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
It takes money to run for congress or any other political office. Now every congressman will deny that they are influenced by money. So there there must be some magical process involved where money goes in one end and legislation comes out the other end.

So how do you take money out of the process? I just don't see an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread