FDA moving to regulate e-cigarettes, “vaping” liquid nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm surprised that the FDA regs haven't already been posted. I really expected them to be out during the first quarter, which has now past. Maybe they're waiting for us to shoot our own foot off. I could just see them up on the edge of their chairs while the sub tank/hybrid top cap stuff was going on.

I'd say that it's already a given that the popcorn lung thing means that there are about 100 flavors that will not be approved.

Last edited:

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    The comments werent that horrifying it just read like a typical internet argument. I read all 6 pages of comments.. There were actually alot of pro-vapers trying to set the record straight.. The problem is, all of the anti-vapers seem to have this 'Im on the internet and I am right about everything' attitude. Very little of them provided any links to anything that proved their points while I did see Dr Farsalinos name dropped as well as several success stories and links to studies by the pro-vapers. Even Phil Busardo was name dropped a couple times. The vapers were there to show they knew what they were talking about. The other side just need something to rally against.. The internet uber geeks who used to think they were above everyone in their own sad little world for not smoking, are going to lose that option so now theyre blindly revolting against vaping because they cant grasp the concept of it. They were sadly misinformed about the whole situation, despite being Ars Technica folk you would think knew what the hell Google was and how to use it, and seem to think that BT already controls the industry and dont get what these so called regulations are being pushed will accomplish. Alot of those arguments also sound like they come from idiots who never had to deal with an addiction to cigarettes either and have tried patches/gum/etc that all FAILED. Its these people that scare me, and these people that need to get a life and shut the hell up and deal with their own personal insecurities before they try and tell others how they should live. The whole "quit or die" attitude needs to die along with those people that support it. The vapers came out in force, I just hope we can all rally like that when the time comes and hope this government which is SUPPOSED to listen us, which is why those refugees that left england in the first place founded this country, does its job for once.

I read all the comments last night (no interest in seeing any more of the discussion), and the pro-vaping comments were a little sad. Lame apologizing at best. The anti-vape folks have no obligation to go out and get educated. What they see and what they are told by the media is enough for them - vaping is something they don't see any value in, so it should be regulated or banned so it doesn't interfere in their lives. That's why I said they need to be schooled. They need to see a public campaign that can convince them that vaping has value to society. The onus is on us. And the comments section of internet news articles isn't going to get the job done. Industry-funded or crowd-funded, it's going to take a significant media presence for vaping as we know it to survive.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    You need to become a little better informed. The FDA & Deeming Regulations of E-cigarettes

Actually (IMHO) the link you provided is arguably more worthless than the article posted above (which I was responding/reacting to). The CASSA page has not been updated since July 26 2014.

At least the thread starting article is dated July of the current year (2015). From the article I'm not quite sure exactly WHEN the FDA posted their proposed rules or what all they may encompass. Surely it will be more than the "child proof caps" and "warning labels" the article mentioned but without actually SEEING and READING the ACTUAL notice in the federal record any and all of my comments are pure speculation.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    What you are failing to understand is that the FDA has been trying to put an end to vaping since 2009. It has only been through our involvement that you are even being allowed to vape at this time. The moment that we stop being involved will mean the end of vaping.

The proposed FDA deeming regulations have been posted. Now do your part to make sure that the proposed regulations are NOT what we end up with. Because the "sky is falling" if we do not do our part to insure that it doesn't. (unless you enjoy using vaping products that were marketed prior to February 15 2007)

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    What you are failing to understand is that the FDA has been trying to put an end to vaping since 2009. It has only been through our involvement that you are even being allowed to vape at this time.

Wow. Just wow. I think the history of the FDA and vaping as outlined on the CASAA website (which you provided a link to) begs to differ. As far as "allowed to vape", none of the proposed regulations outlaw vaping entirely nor have any of their past attempts to regulate.

Unless of course you are a owner of one of the companies which sued and stopped/slowed the FDA's progress I'd question what "our" your referring to as the FDA has continued on its current course with or with out CASAA or other groups attempts to sway their course.

I'm sorry, I'm not failing to understand anything.

Vote. Write your congress person(s).

KattMamma

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2015
    DFW Area, Texas
    Wow. Just wow. I think the history of the FDA and vaping as outlined on the CASAA website (which you provided a link to) begs to differ. As far as "allowed to vape", none of the proposed regulations outlaw vaping entirely nor have any of their past attempts to regulate.

Unless of course you are a owner of one of the companies which sued and stopped/slowed the FDA's progress I'd question what "our" your referring to as the FDA has continued on its current course with or with out CASAA or other groups attempts to sway their course.

I'm sorry, I'm not failing to understand anything.

Vote. Write your congress person(s).
    The FDA has no authority - yet. They tried to assert authority once before by proclaiming PVs as medical devices, but were stopped by the courts. Now they're trying to declare vaping products as "tobacco products" - because they have authority to regulate tobacco. They want to declare it a tobacco product, and use the same 2007 date that they used to discourage new tobacco products -- if it didn't exist in 2007, you will have to go through a long and expensive process to get your product FDA approved.

You're seeing age requirements and child proof caps being thrown out - but they have no authority to require either, unless vaping products are deemed as "tobacco products".

See my sig. Sign the petition.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    You're seeing age requirements and child proof caps being thrown out - but they have no authority to require either, unless vaping products are deemed as "tobacco products". See my sig. Sign the petition.

I'm afraid you and the other person(s) are "preaching to the choir".

I vote and wrote a snailmail letter to each of my congress critters.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 19, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ

KattMamma

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2015
    DFW Area, Texas
    5th paragraph...
    At this time we do not know which regulations the FDA intends to apply to e-cigarettes

That's as far as I bothered to get, everything else is just blind speculation
    I don't think it's blind speculation... since the FDA has shown their true colors and intentions, we can make very educated guesses on what they put (or tried to put?) in the regs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread