Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I saw a brief segment on the TV yesterday. Couldn't see any reference to it on ECF.

Seems the FDA has discovered that Ecigs are exploding all over the place just like those cellphones and they are planning to hold a public workshop to discuss the problem.

" (CNN) -- From 2009 to January 2016, the Food and Drug Administration identified 134 US incidents of e-cigarette batteries overheating, catching on fire or exploding.

In April, the FDA will host a public workshop to "gather information and stimulate discussion" about e-cigarette battery safety concerns."

Google exploding ecig public hearing if you want to see more depressing details.

The FDA should get some great headlines out of this one. Show the public how dangerous those awful ecigs really are.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If they have a workshop they can spin the discussion, get negative publicity to strengthen their political agenda and then when it's all over claim they didn't learn anything. What should happen is the consumer product safety commission should investigate. I would tell them look for loose batteries with unprotected terminals and mech mods and you'll find that's the overwhelming majority of incidents. (I bet malfunctioning regulated mods have caused very few injuries.) Advising people about those two risks is not so hard. But that won't happen because they want people to get hurt.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I would tell them look for loose batteries with unprotected terminals and mech mods and you'll find that's the overwhelming majority of incidents.
I assume this is just a short hand for you, but it's a gross oversimplification. Mech mods are not the issue, users without the appropriate knowledge to use certain mech mods are the issue. It's the kind of oversimplification that the FDA would use to decide that e-cigs with removable batteries are the problem. In fact, I'd bet money that that is the point.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's the kind of oversimplification that the FDA would use to decide that e-cigs with removable batteries are the problem. In fact, I'd bet money that that is the point.
Right, the problem of phone batteries exploding was solved by making the batteries non-removable, right? ;)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Right, the problem of phone batteries exploding was solved by making the batteries non-removable, right? ;)
The resolutions don't have to actually SOLVE anything, they just have to sound like they might be an appropriate action.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
It's the kind of oversimplification that the FDA would use to decide that e-cigs with removable batteries are the problem. In fact, I'd bet money that that is the point.
Correct. I'll bet you a donut that the makers of BT's e-products have reams of
data showing how their batteries are completely safe for consumers.
Mike

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
It will be spun from a few incidents of user issues to how a senators child almost died to being close to an idiot that had a few batteries in his pocket filled with loose change. No truth has to be presented just fear mongering which I hate to say it is the biggest obstacle we are currently facing.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
In a 7 year period they identified 134 incidents, and they see fit to spend however much money they're spending to "discuss" this. That's an average of less than 20 per year. It's not an epidemic, it's a PR campaign.
I agree. You don't ask the public to give their uninformed opinion about why something is happening, you investigate and determine what is happening. The incidents we read about are never investigated. No effort is made to determine the cause and publicize tha so that people can take precautions. The only precaution offered is stop vaping, go back to smoking. The right people to investigate would be the CPSC, not the FDA. Besides they certainly already know the answer to their question. This is a publicity stunt. Drain the swamp.

Reactions: DC2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread