FDA regulation/ban buster

Discussion in 'FDA Regulations' started by trying, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. trying

trying Senior Member ECF Veteran

I was given a few of these nicotine packets and I used them on my recent flight.
    I used 2 of them in water, a few times ( long flights) and they worked very well.

Aqua-tine | Homeopathic Relief from Tabacco Cravings

I had a small cheap E-cig, if needed, to stealth vape.

The FDA regulates homeopathic differently than other products which is how I suspect
    a nicotine product like this is sold.

2. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Wonder if you could vape it :D

3. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Why can't ejuice be marketed the same way? Change the ingredients list to:

Active Ingredients (per bottle):
    Nicotinum HPUS 7X
    Tabacum HPUS 3X

Inactive Ingredients:
    PG 40%
    VG 50 %
    Natural/artificial flavor

Really, why not?

4. trying

I have been doing my homework, homeopathic dosages are based on ratio's and I do not think the mixture is concentrated enough to effectively vape, although it would be better than a zero nic.
    I like these because I can use my mod and then when I am somewhere I can't use it I can use these packets.

5. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Does it have a good throat hit when swallowed?? I don't see how this product will solve the FDA Regulation/Ban issue as implied in the title of the thread.

6. trying

Throat hit, no.
    It gives me a non-BP option when I am at the increasing number of places that do not allow vaping, planes, New York ......

7. wv2win

wv2win ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Glad it works for you...........but it is going to do nothing to stop the FDA regs that could destroy vaping as we know it.

8. Kent C

I was joking of course, but I wonder if they have pg or vg as a base. Thanks for posting... I use snus while flying but this may be an option.

9. trying

Base liquid is listed as water and 20% alcohol, no pg/vg

10. YKruss

YKruss Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Reason why Aqua-tine considered to be a Homeopathic:

Aqua-tine: FAQs | Alternative to Smoking

11. DrMA

DrMA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

So basically by changing the ingredient's name from the common designation, "nicotine", to the HPUS designation, "Nicotinum", you now have a homeopathic drug rather than a tobacco product (as defined by the proposed FDA deeming), even though we're still talking about the same chemical compound known by its IUPAC designation "(S)-3-[1-Methylpyrrolidin-2-yl]pyridine". I still don't see why eliquid cannot fit the same description with a minor labeling change as shown above.

Here's some interesting FDA and HPCUS debate in relation to a product very similar to that linked by the OP:
    http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/dec03/120903/01p-0572-c000011-01-vol3.pdf

12. Kent C

hehe, read that yesterday.... interesting.

13. Endor

Endor Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

It has nothing to do with the name of the active ingredient.

Remember that homeopathy is basically dilution with some hocus-pocus "succussion" thrown in. This product claims 7X dilution for nicotine, which means you start with a 10% solution of nicotine/water (I think), succuss (shake) it, take 10% of that solution and dilute it in water (so now a 1:100 ratio), succuss, do it again and again a for a total of 7 times. In the end, you end up with a 1:10,000,000 nicotine/water solution.... a few molecules of nicotine if you're lucky.

So, you could follow the same dilution process using PG/VG and have "homeopathic eliquid". Or, you could vape zero-nic and save the hassle. :laugh:

14. trying

Tabacum is the more interesting of the ingredients. It is made by soaking tobacco leaves in a water alcohol mixture and it is listed as 3X or 1 part per 1,000.

15. trying

To confirm, while the Aqua-tine packets do provide a nice nicotine buzz when mixed in a drink they are
    not effective when loaded into a mod.
    I had no expectations, but figured why not try. Nothing fancy, I just mixed it 50%/50% with PG and no flavoring.

It is just a matter of volume, the 2 packets I put in my drink was almost 5ml where as the amount per vape
    is only a small fraction of that.

16. KODIAK (TM)

KODIAK (TM) Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Wouldn't work for me. I've discovered that I crave the hand-mouth motion as much as the nic (need 'em both). Besides, I wonder if you'd get more nicotine from chewing gum.

17. trying

18. dragonpuff

dragonpuff Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Over the river and through the woods, Western NY
    A homeopathic remedy is an extreme dilution of a toxin, the idea being that if something is harmful to you, you will be protected from it if it is administered to you in a very miniscule amount. This is accomplished through successive dilution, as described above by Endor:

The end result is also known as containing "trace amounts" of nicotine.

As a homeopathic medicine, the FDA "does not evaluate the remed[y] for safety or effectiveness," according to the NIH. So basically they qualify it as "homeopathic" and nothing more. The reason the FDA doesn't actually regulate it is because there's nothing to regulate. As I've said in other posts, if a substance is found in "trace amounts," it has the same effect as if it were not there at all.

Then why does it work? There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect... which is how all homeopathic remedies work.

19. trying

I was given 20 of these packets and the effects are real not a placebo.
    I looked up the dosages, the Nicotinum content is 1 part per 1,000,000 and 1 per per million of 2.4 ml is a placebo effect number.
    However it is the other ingredient Tabacum which is 3X or 1 part per 1,000 that I believe supplies the noticeable nicotine feeling.
    In short Nicotinum is nicotine but Tabacum has a nicotine content just as tobacco has a nicotine content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.