FDA FDA Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
I just finished another survey on the new FDA regulations for E-cigs found HERE. I just want to make sure as many people get a chance to see these types of surveys and participate in them. This was actually the first time I heard about the date of August 10 2018 for the ban of E-cig products. I really hope that someone is able to talk some sense into the FDA. In my opinion it just goes to show that the Big tobacco Companies have the FDA in their pockets.

Anyone have any insight or thoughts on this issue, or any idea of how hard it is for the FDA to dismiss these types of regulation. I don't know much about the history of the FDA, or if they have ever changed their minds before enacting regulations that would ultimately hurt the health of the entire country.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
Unfortunately, there is no chance of them changing their minds. We could do something, however
That was kind of what I was thinking. I think it it just too much corruption. You had bottles with BPA and the FDA took their time, you have several consumer non food products that don't even get regulated and should, but when a product comes along and the country sees the lowest smoking rate, all hell breaks loose and the FDA has to ban a product that actually gets people to quit smoking. It's a bad situation all around.

Reactions: WillyZee

King_Louie

Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Southern California
That was kind of what I was thinking. I think it it just too much corruption. You had bottles with BPA and the FDA took their time, you have several consumer non food products that don't even get regulated and should, but when a product comes along and the country sees the lowest smoking rate, all hell breaks loose and the FDA has to ban a product that actually gets people to quit smoking. It's a bad situation all around.

I think anyone rational would agree with straightforward and logical regulations

-Child proof caps? makes sense
-Age regulation laws? why not, just like cigarettes
-juice producers undergoing lab requirements? I want sanitary juice, everyone does
Etc, Etc

But their regulations are blatantly obvious in its regard. It wants to place the entire vape market, on a silver platter, to a very few producers.. who actually have the money to overcome these laws. It will put small businesses, juice manufactures and B&M stores out of business. It will also kill innovation, as any new products will cost over a million to introduce.

While we can all agree on simple, small and logical regulations, they took it tremendously too far

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
I think anyone rational would agree with straightforward and logical regulations

-Juice producers undergoing lab requirements? I want sanitary juice, everyone does
Etc, Etc

But their regulations are blatantly obvious in its regard. It wants to place the entire vape market, on a silver platter, to a very few producers.. who actually have the money to overcome these laws. It will put small businesses, juice manufactures and B&M stores out of business. It will also kill innovation, as any new products will cost over a million to introduce.

While we can all agree on simple, small and logical regulations, they took it tremendously too far
The way our government works is by the roll of a dice, and the influence of corruption. It's a mess really.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD

-Juice producers undergoing lab requirements? I want sanitary juice, everyone does
Etc, Etc

The purpose of these vape regulations is to ban vaping in order to ensure continuation of the $40 billion stakehold the govt has in tobacco revenues. It had nothing to do with anyone's safety or health. It is that simple and no simpler

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
The purpose of these vape regulations is to ban vaping in order to ensure continuation of the $40 billion stakehold the govt has in tobacco revenues. It had nothing to do with anyone's safety or health. It is that simple and no simpler
I have to add to that... BP had people in key positions in the FDA who helped form the deeming regulations. I feel the FDA is more a shill for BP and it's the states who may be seeking to regulate and tax vaping into oblivion for the sake of their falling tobacco revenues.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

It's not just the $40 billion the federal government gets directly from cigarette taxes.

Many states have issued hundreds of billions total of revenue anticipation bonds based on receipts from the Master Tobacco Settlement.

Some of these states will be in serious financial difficulty were those revenues to drop much further.

The federal government doesn't want to be on the hook to bail out those states, since states can't go bankrupt.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
It's not just the $40 billion the federal government gets directly from cigarette taxes.

Many states have issued hundreds of billions total of revenue anticipation bonds based on receipts from the Master Tobacco Settlement.

Some of these states will be in serious financial difficulty were those revenues to drop much further.

The federal government doesn't want to be on the hook to bail out those states, since states can't go bankrupt.
Actually I include $7 billion of MSA money in my $40B number. The fact that states were foolish enough to call that 800 number on that Get Your Money Now commercial is not our problem. That money went into general funds and it's everyone's problem now, especially the nonsmokers that presumably benefited from it...

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The fact that states were foolish enough to call that 800 number on that Get Your Money Now commercial is not our problem.

Hee hee! Yes, states going bust is our problem, in the sense that the federal government will have to bail them out. And we all get to pay for that.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Hee hee! Yes, states going bust is our problem, in the sense that the federal government will have to bail them out. And we all get to pay for that.
By "our" I mean it's not a problem that should be put on the backs of vapers or smokers. It will be of course, even though it is so very wrong.

Reactions: LaraC

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And I totally agree, VNeil. I used "our" to mean all 320-odd million Americans. But if the governments, state and federal, can get all us vapers to go back to smoking cigarettes, that solves a lot of politically unpalatable problems for them.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Do these rules from the FDA apply only to American made products? Or are they actually going to restrict imported products as well?

trentenmarschel, the FDA Deeming Regulations apply to all vaping products, regardless to country of origin.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
trentenmarschel, the FDA Deeming Regulations apply to all vaping products, regardless to country of origin.
Okay thanks. I also noticed it said for new products on the market. I am assuming that means things already made like kayfun, merlin, lavatube, pico mods will still be available. Kinda of makes their regulations look more stupid like saying we are going to ban met:h, but exclude the already manufactured met:h?

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Okay thanks. I also noticed it said for new products on the market. I am assuming that means things already made like kayfun, merlin, lavatube, pico mods will still be available. Kinda of makes their regulations look more stupid like saying we are going to ban met:h, but exclude the already manufactured met:h?

"New products" means newly designed products, like new eliquid flavorings, newly designed mods, newly designed tanks, etc., that will be new to the market after August 8, 2016.

All products designed and introduced before August 8, 2016, can continue to be sold. (Some restrictions, though.)

But, the FDA Deeming Regulations declare all vaping-related products to be "tobacco products." Some states already have legislation on the books specifically limiting or banning tobacco products and/or restrictions on sales, using that phrase. Many states have such legislation using the word "cigarettes." The Deeming Regulation makes it very easy to amend "cigarettes" to "tobacco products" and thus include all vaping gear.

We don't know exactly what will happen come August 8, 2016: there is one messily-written federal FDA Deeming Regulation and legislation from 50 different states and a multitude of local jurisdictions to keep track of. You'll have to watch to see what Missouri does.

Prudent vapers are rapidly stocking up on lifetime supplies of nicotine concentrate and hardware. The future of vaping looks grim to many of us.

Reactions: LaraC

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
"New products" means newly designed products, like new eliquid flavorings, newly designed mods, newly designed tanks, etc., that will be new to the market after August 8, 2016.

All products designed and introduced before August 8, 2016, can continue to be sold. (Some restrictions, though.)

But, the FDA Deeming Regulations declare all vaping-related products to be "tobacco products." Some states already have legislation on the books specifically limiting or banning tobacco products and/or restrictions on sales, using that phrase. Many states have such legislation using the word "cigarettes." The Deeming Regulation makes it very easy to amend "cigarettes" to "tobacco products" and thus include all vaping gear.

We don't know exactly what will happen come August 8, 2016: there is one messily-written federal FDA Deeming Regulation and legislation from 50 different states and a multitude of local jurisdictions to keep track of. You'll have to watch to see what Missouri does.

Prudent vapers are rapidly stocking up on lifetime supplies of nicotine concentrate and hardware. The future of vaping looks grim to many of us.
At least Missouri seems to have some common sense when it comes to stupid laws. Lowest national gas prices, Lowest national cigarette tax and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread